Juan of the Dead Reviews

• 5d ago

I managed to laugh too much, from my perspective it is a good movie although some special effects are not very convincing compared to other zombie movies.

• Sep 09, 2020

Between 2.5 and 3 stars. The lack of budget is not a problem for a very irrevernt humour. However, maybe it is not so great to compensate just another zombie story. P.S. I see an under-use of Antonio Dechent, speaking in English when his main power is in his way to speak Spanish. He could have played a longer and more interesting role.

• Jul 18, 2020

very uneven. some laughs on the way through, but very standard fayre...

very uneven. some laughs on the way through, but very standard fayre...

• Jul 02, 2018

I loved this film, it's great from beginning to end!

I loved this film, it's great from beginning to end!

• Mar 25, 2018

Appealing comedy-thriller in the vein of Shaun of the Dead.

Appealing comedy-thriller in the vein of Shaun of the Dead.

• Jan 30, 2018

Great film. It is an average zombie film, but it shines with its characters. All of the actors in the film are enjoyable to watch, and have realistic motivations. It has a funny bent on how the Cuban government would handle a zombie apocalypse. For example everything crumbling around them, but the public transport still makes its rounds in the city. Would very much recommend watching.

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    Aug 02, 2017

Remember Shawn of the Dead? Of course you do, you zombie film enthusiast you, and so did the makers of this Cuban export that freely cribs all that it can from that seminal work. And they nearly get it. Missed it by that much. Still, a zombie parody film, only there's not a scare in the whole thing. Not one. Just guys running around and killing zombies, making with the snappy repartee (in Spanish, natch) but with hardly a single threat. The monsters might've been mannequins for all their danger.

• Nov 22, 2015

Disguised as a zomedy, a satire about Cuba developes, and isn't shy to critizice Castro's regime and the conformism of its population.

• Apr 13, 2015

Reminds me of Shaun Of The Dead it might be ridiculous but it kept me entertained just for long enough

• Feb 03, 2015

This is all because of the expired drugs they give away. In Cuba a zombie outbreak starts plaguing the nation and killing everyone. A group of lazy citizens bond together and to try to find a way to survive. They will encounter several other citizens who have found a way to survive, some by more practical methods than others. They are led by a man named Juan who wants nothing more than to protect his daughter. Can Juan lead his friends to safety? "What's a sodomite?" "A chemical substance." Alejandro Brugues, director of Personal Belongings and a segment of ABCSs of Death 2, delivers Juan of the Dead. The storyline for this picture is a nice blend of comedic content with some cool zombie kill scenes. The special effects of the zombies are nothing special, but the execution of the zombies is gory and interesting. The acting is mediocre and a step down from Shaun of the Dead. "When he told me...I had to touch myself." This was a movie that really grabbed my attention a few years ago and I was excited to see on HBOGO. It is just an average film but better than average due to a nice zombie feel with some originality. I would only recommend this to diehard zombie/horror fans, but it is an above average addition to the genre. "Would you let me give you a blowjob?" Grade: C+