Jubal Reviews

½ May 18, 2008
Okay western with many familiar faces. Steiger makes a good hissable villian but the ending is anti-climatic.
December 22, 2009
A solid western which shares more with a Shakespearean tragedy than a gunslinger pulp mag. Set on a cattle farm, thins stir up as new arrival Jubal (Ford) catches the eye of the bosses wife. What unfolds is the timeless dance of jealousy and survival. While very dense in structure, the cast makes this movie very enjoyable and lively. Glenn Ford delivers, so does Rod Steiger who plays a delightfully evil nemesis and adds an existential depth to the film, unusual for classic US westerns.

Great if youlije Westerns !
½ December 8, 2009
Lifelong movie addict and classic movie lover. I have seen over 30,000 films in my life and have 10,000 films in my personal library.
July 19, 2014
Jubal is an amazing film. It is about new foreman who rejects the sexual advances of a frustrated rancher's wife. Glenn Ford, Ernest Borgnine, and Rod Steiger give fantastic performances. The screenplay is well written. Delmer Daves did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the action and adventure.
January 6, 2014
Wow! This is great. Glen Ford movies are special. In this one, Rod Steiger uses everything, his body ( check out the poses he makes while trying to get the men to posse) , his voice ( a fantastic accent and cadence throughout his speeches), and his facial expressions. A brutal movie you must face. Oh Pinky!
September 3, 2013
Tuesday, September 3, 2013

(1956) Jubal

Said by several movie critics that it works partially like a play from a Shakespeare play called "Othello" even though it's originally adapted from a novel written by Paul Wellman. The movie stars Glenn Ford coincidently getting picked up while passed out lying on the ground by a person who happens to be passing through while riding a wagon by cattle owner Shep Horgan played by film veteran Ernest Borgnine. Anyways, as he's hanging around in a cabin it is soon revealed that he used to work as a sheep man and gets scolded by other worker Pinky (Rod Steiger) setting the stage for tension and for total control. Theirs also a woman involved in this set up as well who happens to be the wife of the cattle owner her name is Naomi (Felicia Farr) but does not seem to be in love with the person she is married to.

I have to say while I was watching this, the movie didn't remind me of "Othello" but two previous movies also starring Glenn Ford,. From the movie's point-of-view, this film reminded me of "Gilda" because it too was also that film which the male star refuses intimate advances from the owners wife which almost works in the same manner as the character played by Rita Hayworth and the other movie is another Western movie called "Sheepman". I just thought much of the third act was predictable which was the reason why it deserves just a pass.

2.5 out of 4 stars
½ August 30, 2013
"There comes a day Jubal, when a man's gotta decide where he's going or he won't get nowhere" Borgnine says to new man, Jubal Troop who just recently arrived at his ranch. The story told throughout Jubal is an on the surface simple little story that seems Cliché at first; A man shows up at a rancher's farm and seems to fall in love with the rancher's (his employer's) beautiful wife. What transpires is something that is unexpected. A great amount of detail goes into the character's and their reletionships with one another. This is exemplified in the opening quote as Borgnine suggests that Jubal should figure out what he wants from his life instead of constantly running.

The cinematography and locations are quite beautiful to look at as the mountains and ranges are shot in technicolour and on location. Director Delmer Daves does a great job of showing us through the camera the countryside and environment without flaunting it so to speak. It merely inhabits part of the frame a good portion of the time which almost works in favour as sometimes less is more.

The love triangle type Western tale is entertaining and beautifully photographed which makes it a cut above in terms of a classic Western revenge tale as this story delves further into character than on the surface dirt and tumbleweeds.
March 30, 2013
more adult than run of the mill oater of the time. borgnine does fine work. ford is l ford while steiger hones his Curly persona.
June 15, 2011
Wonderful film. Fantastic ending, a really satisfying conclusion. Story by Shakespeare, great characters and playing. One of the top 25 Westerns. A cracking story - just happens to be in the old west. You don't need to like westerns to get a lot out of this.
½ June 16, 2008
Solid and well made western, the ample budget shows. Great cast, well acted. Most any western with Glenn Ford is a good one. Great cinematography, More substance than the average western.