Juliet of the Spirits (Giulietta degli Spiriti) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Juliet of the Spirits (Giulietta degli Spiriti) Reviews

½ January 31, 2017
A middle-aged psychic is besieged by voices and apparitions when she suspects her husband might be having an affair. Typical visually sumptuous Fellini movie lends itself to his characteristic surrealist style where dreams and illusion blend seamlessly into the narrative.
January 11, 2017
A mild critique of the anxieties of the Roman high-Bourgeoisie and a (creepy) visionary masterpiece.
Isn't the courageous grandfather the incarnation of Juliet's symbolical redemption from social conformity?
½ July 16, 2016
Fellini's first film in color is this brilliant LSD-infused satire that enchants us with its gorgeous art direction and colorful costumes, while using a magnificent symbolism to depict the psyche of a passive woman who needs to break free from the bonfire of her married-life martyrdom.
June 18, 2016
surreal feature about a middle-aged housewife
½ May 24, 2016
A viscerally angering film that leaves the viewer in a state of absolute bewilderment.
March 1, 2016
Another showcase for Fellini's wife as the protagonist, he explores the use of colour for the first time in his career, to great success.

I find this one of Fellini's weaker efforts, dealing with a woman's self discovery. It may be less relevant to day than it was in the 60s. Fellini showcased his use of the abstract in this film, which he went on to use subsequently in The Satyricon and other masterpieces. The film has not aged well and is much less sophisticated today than upon its release.
½ January 27, 2016
Such a bizarre film. Being Fellini's first color picture, I was intrigued by the imagery and imagination. Other then that this film is a hot mess, and when I found it that it was somewhat autobiographical of his relationship with his wife (who plays Juliet in the film), it made it more dysfunctional.
January 25, 2016
He captures what it feels like to be cheated on, but then loses it in the lsd.
July 29, 2014
Review In A Nutshell:

Juliet of the Spirits is the story of a woman who suspects that her husband may be having an affair.

The film featured a strong premise but sadly its plot and direction was a bit of a mess. The film's story explores ideas of infidelity, which was the main key that kept me engaged throughout; scenes are delivered to emphasise this but Federico Fellini, the director, restrains it too heavily and instead pushed forward the protagonist's psychological and spiritual conundrums. I am all for a deep character study but for me to engage a film in that way, the film's story should be much simpler and letting the film's ambiguity be only found internally rather than both; Fellini's style overwhelms both the story and the character development, leaving me at times too distant from the film's heart. In a positive note, I was at least able to care for enough about our protagonist that I was curious enough to finish her journey, and Fellini succeeded this through strong establishment of the character early on in the film.

I was quite impressed with the film's cinematography, contrasting two different styles, naturalistic and surrealistic. I have read many times that Fellini is known for this dreamlike quality in his films, which I am not yet used to as my first film from the man was I Vitelloni, which takes a much more simplistic and accessible approach. After seeing this film, it is clear to me that I would have to watch the director's films more than once in order to appreciate and understand his visual aesthetic.

Nino Rota's musical score for Juliet of the Spirits is also polarising tonally, it goes back and forth from optimistically light to pessimistically deep. Rota's score certainly aided me in gaining a sort of understanding of what Fellini is trying to show on screen, and because of his score, it was easy for me to be orientated of Juliet's perspective; not once did I feel confused on whether we are watching Juliet's psychological visions or actuality.

The acting in this film was certainly strong with a breezy performance from Giulietta Masina, showing no signs of melodrama which was surprising as films during this period tend to lean towards that end of the acting spectrum in order for their roles to feel approachable. Most of Masina's performance is found in her eyes which display the truth of her character while the rest of her face displays a shield that projects to the people around her on what she wants them to think she is feeling. As Fellini kept most of the film's focus on Masina's character, the supporting cast was not given enough screen time to deliver a true supporting performance.

Juliet of the Spirits is far from Fellini's almost-masterpiece I Vitelloni, but it has enough strong elements that keep it from being atrocious. I just hope as I go in deeper in Fellini's filmography that none of them would fall lower than this film.
July 28, 2014
Review In A Nutshell:

May 22, 2014
Every bit 8 1/2's equal. Stunning technical and emotional complexity in this colorful, psychological examination of a woman in crisis.
March 23, 2014
The world of dreams and madness is more fantastic than the real one. Fellini's""Giulietta degli Spiriti" is a visual show. The Director introduce us to a life full of loneliness and despair, a life that could be our in any time.
March 14, 2014
Fellini's luscious and resplendent masterpiece. This radiant art-work shakes with passion. 10/10
February 18, 2014
This is the most beautiful movie I have ever seen. See this movie.
January 29, 2014
A beautiful and sublime masterpiece from Federico Fellini.
½ December 27, 2013
Fellini's first in color is a fluid and visually astonishing carnival ride that tasks the viewer with the puzzle of which characters are rewarded and which are yoked.
½ October 18, 2013
Visually stunning and its influence is clear on Woody Allen, David Bowie and others. A mad fantasy but time has passed and the pupil (Allen) in my opinion outclasses his master.
July 22, 2013
A bizarre trip through a woman's quest for freedom from her marriage. Fascinating, Fellini is something else.
May 23, 2013
This is quite intriguing and Giulietta Masina has some strange charm that keeps me interested in what's going to happen but overall it's not as visually interesting as i thought it would be. It's quite funny in places too, in a sort of dry, unintentional way. I guess you've just gotta see this to know, it could go any which way but obviously for those who are more interested in the weird and wonderful. I suppose Federico Fellini's name also garners further viewing and the odd art imitates life story.