Jumping the Broom - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jumping the Broom Reviews

½ May 24, 2016
This movie is a production of that Buybull-thumping blowhard T.D. Jakes. That should be all you need to know.
½ May 13, 2016
I feel like story wise this had elements to do interesting things, but it didn't flesh any of them out and just threw them all together with absolutely no character development or transition and instead of really doing anything it had the potential to they spent a great deal of time reminding everyone they were black, which wasn't really a point in the movie. it wasn't about racial issues or embracing heritage, just a lot of "I'm blacker than you, you're not black enough, you're too black, let's throw this random insult out at this girl for having dark skin and then only have exclusively light skinned people at our wedding." I can't help but feel that racial equality would be better served by not pretending that every second of a person's life revolves around what race they are when there's absolutely no deeper message or meaning involved in it.
May 26, 2015
its okay didnt like it that much
½ March 29, 2015
Distracted, lazy and brings nothing new to the table of black romcoms. Don't waste your time on this one.
June 30, 2014
An ok movie. Quite predictable in the end. Happy ending though.
June 25, 2014
Harmiton komedia... ^_^
½ November 17, 2013
Watch this with women.they love this stuff
November 10, 2013
This movie is complete and utter trash. I wonder if the producer or screen writers even have communication with people.
½ September 17, 2013
Bit cliché and predictable.
Great cast though!
J.W
September 7, 2013
Paula Patton is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful actresses around, as are her co-stars Loretta Divine, Angela Bassett, Meagan Good, Tasha Smith and Julie Bowen, so Jumping The Broom has the glow and appeal, but what is doesn't have is a consistent flow of laughs. You'll laugh here and then, sometimes you'll be waiting for something funny to happen but it does take a while to really make you chuckle. The funniest parts of the movie involve the tension between Divine and Bassett, and Julie Bowen's energetic and overly organised wedding event planner who darts around the screen. Paula Patton's narration at the start is funny but I feel her character wasn't made for the laughs. Jumping The Broom is also predictable, but I didn't care so much as most the time it's a light hearted, smart, lively and well paced movie that is enjoyable thanks to the excellent cast and Paula Patton's heavenly looks but could've had a better rhythm of laughs.
August 25, 2013
Nothing too special. A few laughs here and there
August 4, 2013
I liked this movie. It shows how different people want different things to make life better for them and their loved ones.
June 26, 2013
(6/10)

Jumping the Broom is a better than expected ensemble comedy about family rivalries, tradition and marriage. The thing that elevates this above most ensemble comedies is the cast; it looks like they're having fun and they're full of charisma.
The weakest thing about the movie is easily the story. The story is so cliche'd and predictable that it almost flounders the entire movie. I don't remember that much about the movie (it's been 2 years) but I do remember liking it a lot more than I like most ensemble comedies (I HATE ensemble comedies for the most part). This movie is also nowhere near as painful to watch as any of Tyler Perry's movies.
The big reason why I hate ensemble comedies is that they never seem to get the right mix of drama and comedy. Jumping the Broom seems to mix these elements better than most even though it's still not perfect. This movie actually had a lot more drama than I was expecting, which is certainly not a bad thing.
Overall, I recommend Jumping the Broom to any fan of this genre because they will probably love it. The film is filled with fine performances, enjoyable characters and a solid mix of drama and comedy (even though the comedy isn't that funny). If you can look past the story that we've seen a billion times before, you can probably enjoy this movie.
½ June 5, 2013
Like both of these movies
April 24, 2013
Y'all kno I don't do chick flicks (eewww yuuuuck!!) but I might have to make an exception for this movie.
April 24, 2013
NOT available for membership accounts: Netflix or Amazon Prime!
March 30, 2013
This movies was ok, dry at times but over all a good movie.
March 12, 2013
This was pretty funny! I've always liked Mike Epps, and his character helped take the edge off of some of the dramatic moments in the movie. I thought it was well done, and pretty funny.
½ March 2, 2013
Sometimes there's a reason the same boy meets girl formula is used...it works for so much more
February 19, 2013
It was good but if I was dat girl, I wuld hav hit my future mother-in-law.