Jungle Holocaust (Ultimo mondo cannibale) (Cannibal) (Carnivorous) (Last Cannibal World) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jungle Holocaust (Ultimo mondo cannibale) (Cannibal) (Carnivorous) (Last Cannibal World) Reviews

April 18, 2016
For a 70's Italian cannibal flick this is OK. The story is decent, the main protagonist is good up to a point. The practical effects were really well done overall.

There were a few let downs though.. Robert uses the native woman to help him escape. Then he rapes her (for no reason) then she decides to help him?!? Then she gets killed by the tribe (in a really great scene at the bbq pit) because she helped him, when she didn't have any choice?

The next flaw is the perfectly manicured lawn that is the runway. In the middle of a cannibal infested jungle...yeah sure.

And lastly...all of the native woman were perfectly manicured and had finely shaped eyebrows, and no armpit hair.
January 29, 2016
Wow. Massimo Fochi's ballsy (literal and figurative) turn here as cannibal captive.

Too bad there's several instances of animal cruelty (an unforgivable staple of these Italian cannibal flicks) that stops the picture cold when they crop up in sloppily inserted, almost entirely out of context form. The gutting of a live alligator is truly stomach turning.

Me Me Lai walking around naked for the majority of the movie however, is not.
September 24, 2015
Based on a true story my ass. I was surprised by its unrestrained full frontal nudity (even pee pee fondling...). This inventive tale (at its time) was thrilling and effective to cash in on the fascination with cannibalism and the rejection of primitiveness.
September 8, 2015
Deodato brings to the screen Last Cannibal World it is a well shot film and you will whistle the score for the rest of the evening but not my personal favourite of the Italian Cannibal genre.
½ March 6, 2015
More of the same, though it doesn't feel as trashy as some of the other cannibal films.
½ April 21, 2014
Before Cannibal Holocaust, Deodata directed this similar Cannibal related movie supposedly based on true events. Yeah, and we all know how true Cannibal Holocaust turned out to be, so I doubt it. Anyways, suprising how much similarities are between the two movies, senseless animal slaughter, -you-could-have-fooled-me-looking Cannibals, and one big ol' gory scene at the end (and oh yes, Cannibals that betray other cannibals deserve to die). Somewhat numbing (especially towards the middle, when there's not really that much going on), but an entertaining comparison to Planet Of The Apes could be drawn.
January 20, 2014
Bah, un po' deboluccio.
½ January 2, 2014
I HATED THIS FILM SO MUCH..
½ January 19, 2013
A Dress Rehearsal For 'Cannibal Holocaust'--Deodato's Beginning!!
Cinema-Maniac
½ December 31, 2012
For the third time I venture back into Italian filmmaking and witness yet another cannibal movie. Thankfully this cannibal movie has no castration of any kind, but it's not any good.

Jungle Holocaust "plot" is about an oil prospector who must escapes from a primitive cannibal tribe in the Philippine rain forest and heads out to locate his missing companion and their plane to return home. I use the term "plot" here very loosely because most of the time we just see a man being being held captive in a cave without any dialogue. A monologue would have been nice to get into the psyche of our character, but that opportunity is wasted. Nothing really significant happens when the main character is captured other than he takes a woman with him. Once the main character escapes the plot starts getting more interesting as it become more like a survival movie, but still suffers other issues. Mostly from the poor written. One scene in particular has our main character kidnapping a native women, tying her up like a dog, and then raping the native women without much a thought of guilt. The writers lack of knowledge of the real world is present here as the native women now follows the main character even gathering food for him and being his guide in the jungle despite the fact that our main character kidnapped her and raped her. At times the movie get be exciting because you do want the main character to live after everything he went through, but there is just enough material to sustain your interest throughout.

Since this is my third cannibal I will say that I'm very happy there was not a single castration. Though could have done without the massive amount nudity from it dozen natives. While I'm discussing the natives, I would like to point out there was an unintentionally funny scene where the natives play around with the main character privates after ripping off his clothes. Guess it was the first time the native in cannibal saw a white men genitals. Also, could have done without the native pissing on prisoner scene. The acting was solid and the music though forgettable did fit with the film tone. Now cannibal movie would be complete without actual animals being killed on screen. Let me tell you one thing, watching the dissection of a crocodile is not easy. Mostly because even when the crocodile is completely skinned and with all his organs out his body the director shows us the crocodile heart still beating. No actual animal should be killed for any reason, especially your film has a weak reason for it like this one. I will say though that the director does deliver on atmosphere for even feel we are trapped like in this jungle. Unfortunately a good atmosphere is pretty useless when almost everything else is poorly made.

Jungle Holocaust is a prime example of a cannibal film offering nothing else but the slaughtering of animals. There a reason why the cannibal genre isn't around anymore; they told story very poorly, bad acting, no solid reason to justify the violence, and obviously these movies are boring to sit through even with it graphic contents.
½ November 11, 2012
The forerunner of Deodato's masterpiece 'Cannibal Holocaust' this is another documentary-quality jungle horror that sees modern man come face-to-face with his contemporary stone-age brother. The photography is stunning, from epic grandeur to down-and-dirty wildlife shots. The only duff notes are struck by some of the savages' wigs and Me Me Lai's obviously fake breasts.
½ September 2, 2012
After such "gems" like Cannibal Ferox and Deodato's own Cannibal Holocaust I have to say it was kind of a letdown. This is a survival pic and not a cannibal film. All in all it's okay but nothing to get excited about.
½ August 13, 2012
Average all-around in my book. Not bad but not great either. Horror-gore enthusiasts will want to check this out for a couple decent scenes. Better than EATEN ALIVE (MANGIATI VIV) in my humble opinion and definitely does well to set up a fairly suspenseful ending. Carefully recommended for hardcore fans of: CUT AND RUN, RITUALS, CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST, and CANNIBAL FEROX.
June 29, 2012
Thursday, June 21, 2012

(1977) Cannibal
DUBBED

SPAGHETTI HORROR

Only saw this dubbed, re-edited, 88 minute VHS copy and re-titled to be called "Cannibal" instead of "Jungle Holocaust", which I assume this version only centers mostly on the characters than other gruesome scenes the cannibals practice, since I've read about scenes I don't remember seeing such as a slaughter of a crocodile etc... Anyways, the movie has no story but states the situation and is supposedly based on fact focusing on four people who somehow accidently crash land onto an open grass field, only to discover that's it's inhabited by man eating cannibals with their attemptions to escape.

Although, I read they're supposed to be more graphic scenes than the copy I saw, I still thought the gruesome scenes still looked realistic, unbeknowist that the director who directed this version by the name of Reggero Deodati was the same guy who directed the infamous and controverial "Cannibal Holocaust".

2.5 out of 4
May 15, 2012
Before Cannibal Holocaust, there was Ultimo mondo cannibale.
January 27, 2012
BASED ON A TRUE STORY. I SAW IT YEARS AGO AND COULDN'T FORGET IT.. SHOCKING.
January 15, 2012
Weird, violent trash film.
October 15, 2011
Because this movie got recognition from viewers Deodato was able to make his Ultimate Shocker Masterpiece: Cannibal Holocaust.
½ July 17, 2011
Ankaran realistinen ja brutaali selviytymistarina. Ei yllä ehkä kuitenkaan Cannibal holocaustin tasolle, mutta jotain kritiikkiä länsimaista ihmistä kohtaan voidaan nähdä. Eläintappo arvelutti moraalisesti, mutta kokonaisuudessaan tää pitää kynsissään viimehetkeen saakka.
½ June 29, 2011
Deodato's warm up to the infamous Cannibal Holocaust was this 1978 cannibal film starring Massimo Foschi. While traveling in New Guinea, Robert Harper and his friends crash their plane and are forced to wander the jungle in search of help. Robert is then captured by a cannibalistic native tribe who torture and humiliate him in bizarre ways. This film spends a great amount of time exploiting the natives with an exceptionable amount of child native nudity which I could do without. This movie was obviously the first step towards what would become the most notorious cannibal film of all time - Deodato's 1980 film. In comparison, Jungle Holocaust focuses on the torture from the natives and one really does grow to feel sorry for poor Robert as he clings to a desperate hope for escape from his prison. The film wears on and feels far too long towards the end however, and the payoff seems light compared to the films that came after this one. Still, as the Italian cannibal subgenre goes, this one is entertaining and definitely worth it if you're a fan of Cannibal Holocaust and Deodato's other work.