Junkhearts - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Junkhearts Reviews

½ January 13, 2016
Had me screaming at the TV by the end - the story swirls deeper and deeper down and pulls everything with it. A real snowball! Part of the film's grasp on me was its realism, very well done. There is an awkward tension between Frank and Lynette, especially when they first meet, and it is interesting to watch their relationship develop as they gradually loosen up around each other. Marsden's performance as Frank is fierce and brutal, sometimes a bit gross - he really gave it his all. The story seems to thicken quite naturally and film is very good at making the viewer empathetic to its heavy story lines. The story is bleak but sincere.
½ April 15, 2015
Hard hitting British drama, with Marsan performing well in a rare lead role.
March 17, 2015
reasonable film though too long with the druggy teenagers; so happy for happy ending
June 7, 2014
Best thing I've seen in a long time..
Expert direction, acting, writing.
June 7, 2014
Thoughtful piece on those on the fringes of society for different reasons. Eddie Marsan is an excellent choice for this role, although the secondary story involving the Christine character is underdeveloped and probably not required in the grand scheme of things.
June 7, 2014
wow ummm just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch......its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie.......i think that eddie marsan, candese reid, tom sturridge, romola garai, shaun dooley, play good roles/parts throughout this movie......i think that the director of this drama/art house/international movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie....its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie.......i think that eddie marsan was great throughout this movie.......i think that this is such a really well written/acted/directed movie 2 watch i think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch......its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie......i think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch its such a really sad movie 2 watch its got a good cast throughout this movie.......i think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch.....i think that this is such a really well written/acted/directed movie 2 watch its got a great cast throughout this movie.......its got good fight scenes throughout this movie i think that this is such a really sad movie 2 watch....its got a good cast throughout this movie its such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch with a good cast throughout this movie......its got good fight scenes throughout this movie its such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch with a good cast throughout this movie
½ September 7, 2013
Gritty drama starring Eddie Marsan.

He's always great in everything.

June 10, 2013
I loved thus film so much. There was a bleak and compelling portrayal if lives caught in the embrace of addiction amid a background of heart warming relationships and social inevitability that left me wanting to watch it over and over.
March 28, 2013
Excellent piece of british film making! Amazing cast and production!
½ September 22, 2012
Marsden is so good in this as he is many other films. Garia plot was somewhat odd but Lynettes and Franks was touching. A good uk film
½ September 22, 2012
Not perfect, but Marsan is always so damn good; so i'll forgive it.

He's excellent dealing with his Northern Ireland demons, and there is a great relationship/chemistry with Reid. I also like the ambiguity about how much she knows about Marsan's exploitation. Goes a little awry after that and the parallel plot with Garai is hokum and pointless.
½ September 19, 2012
They take drugs it's not good for you.
September 17, 2012
A hard and captivating movie that fills up with tragedy and warmth and punches you with it. Eddie Marsen as proved to me in the past few years just how underrated he is and if i had a say in it this would be his "break out" role.
½ August 27, 2012
A touch of needless positivity at the end but the rest is suitably downbeat and Marsan is excellent as always.
April 18, 2012
It is rare that you find a film with such a good cast. Eddie Marsan, Tom Sturridge, Romala Garai and Shaun Dooley are already established names and are as brilliant as expected if not better in Junkhearts. But what really impressed me was that there were no weak links. Candies Reid, in her first film exploded on screen making me laugh and cry, her performance was amazing and I expect to see her gracing us with her presence on screen very soon. Junkhearts is a film of pure class and I could‚(TM)t be more complimentary of it. So great to see a team of british professionals in front and behind the camera pull together such a brilliant piece of film.
April 18, 2012
This film was recommended to me by a friend who managed to see it at the Showroom in Sheffield, so I rented it on iTunes. It‚(TM)s the best ¬£3.50 I have spent in a while! It was a really intelligent and gritty film. Eddie Marsan as Frank was beautifully acted and the character incredibly sculpted with great depth. Romala Garai also was exceptional, playing Christine, a single, working mother. The film was captivating and heartbreaking, without taking itself too seriously. I just wanted to see what happened to them all afterwards!
April 18, 2012
I happened to stumble upon Junkhearts by chance as I had that it had played at London Film Festival so when I saw it was playing at the Curson Renoir I thought I would go along. The film was incredible. The honesty of Frank (Eddie Marsan) and Lynette‚(TM)s (Candice Reid) relationship was really moving and unlike a lot of British indie films, didn‚(TM)t take itself too seriously. Although a film of substance, the moments of hope such as the scene in the field where Frank teaches Lynette self defense (which is beautifully shot) and the moments of comedy, particularly in the momentarily staring role of the fish ‚Goldie‚?, are really uplifting. The balance is perfect and although it isn't the most easy subject matter, the script allowed moments of laughter, which was shared with others in the cinema

Eddie Marsan‚(TM)s performance is breathtaking. As an actor who‚(TM)s CV is filled with supporting roles, he takes center stage with a natural flare, conveying Frank‚(TM)s post-traumatic stress in a way that is perfectly subtle. It felt truthful and not at all forced, and I felt sympathy for him. He was easily likable.

To counter this, the story introduces Danny (Tom Sturridge), Lynette‚(TM)s drug-dealing boyfriend. Sturridge didn‚(TM)t just create a standard, run of the mill villain, which is also credit to director Tinge Krishnan. He created a character that we felt sorry for, as Sturridge created someone who we understood, making it clear why his character, who I don't think was a bad person, was doing what he did. He was just stuck in a bad situation, desperate to get out. This storyline also strengthened the relationship between Frank and Lynette, as we see Frank as someone who can protect her and save her from the world that she has found herself in.

If you see one film this year, make it Junkhearts. It is refreshing to see such an honest film, and the cast are exceptional. 5 stars.
½ January 30, 2012
Terrible. If you want to know how NOT to make a movie, emulate this POS.
Over-acted, over-stated, and badly written - though it is shot well, which is a shame.
January 30, 2012
3 characters one being a guilt ridden alcoholic who lives a lonely life (played by the constantly great Eddie Marsan), a 17 year old homeless girl he elects to pick up off the street to give her a home to help her clean up her act in a way that allows him to clean his. Then we have random interludes of this nearly broke mother trying to bring up a kid while being a social worker, mistress and sort of a drug dealer while trying to hold her head above water.Its these kind of movies that should be made more often than the shit that often gets put out these days. While it wasn't as good as I hoped it would be it is still something worth seeing once. Its a very hard movie to watch definitely living Vancouver where this kind of stuff happens. The movie is about redemption, 3 people for the most part looking for their own piece but through helping each other in one way or another (which is sort of a spoiler but you would've seen it coming).
January 27, 2012
I've just seen Junkhearts at Chapter Arts centre in Cardiff. I saw
Junkhearts solely because I'm a big fan of Eddie Marsan and wanted to see him in a lead role, as I think he's a fantastic actor with a great range and a lightness of touch. As expected Eddie Marsan was fantastic, here playing an ex-solider, and brought a freshness to quite a now archetypal character. Familiar as this archetype is, the character is normally played out in a flat depressed state that flies off the handle at a moments notice. Instead the director Tinge Krishnan chooses to create a distance between the character of Frank and everybody else, in terms of the acting, the cropped framing, the use of negative space, and specific points of focus, which works really effectively. Within
Junkhearts we are also introduced to newcomer Candese Reid, who was found at Nottingham's Television Workshop ‚" famous for Paddy Considine and the This Is England cast. Her character Lynette works her way under
Frank's emotional barrier, fully realised in a spine-tingling scene where Frank cracks his first smile we've seen, bathed in gorgeous sun light. The performances of Frank and Lynette felt truthful and authentic and I felt sympathetic to each character and that's a testament to the director. Furthermore, the execution of the script really engaged me throughout. It was incredibly shot by Catherine
Derry, I loved the self-defence/dance scene seeped in sunflare, the lovely bokeh in the bar scene with Shaun Dooley and Romola Garai, the bleak scenes in and around the tower block and lifts, the uncomfortable framing with Eddie when he's having flashbacks, the lovely slow-motion when he dances, and I loved the practical lighting, and the strip lighting inside the flat. If you like the work of Lynne Ramsay, Andrea
Arnold, Mike Leigh, and Shane Meadows, Junkhearts could be right up your street. One to watch in 2012.