Ju-on: The Curse (Curse Grudge) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ju-on: The Curse (Curse Grudge) Reviews

October 28, 2016
31 Days of Horror 2016 #14
½ September 20, 2016
If you ask me what's the creepiest j-horror of the 21st century, I would probably answer this.
½ January 20, 2016
there is a lot missing here but die hards will find some entertainment. not many scares though.
½ December 10, 2015
I haven't legitimately been scared by a movie in a really long time, I'm talking since I was a little kid who was terrified of the Chuckie doll from the idiotic Childs Play movies. This movie honestly had me pausing occasionally to listen closer to minor noises I heard throughout my house. Maybe I made the mistake that I watched it home alone on Halloween with all the lights out, I am not really sure. Does the entire movie make sense and all come together brilliantly ? I have no idea. I do know however that the director did a great job in creating a sense of mounting doom and fear that kept me immersed in what I was watching on the screen. Whether that doom ever came to fruition is up for you to decide. I don't know if this movie was about the actual "scares" It is not going to have you jumping out of your seat screaming, but it will certainly have you looking around the room making sure nothing is hiding behind the table that you cant see behind all too well. Shimizu does an incredible job of creating the atmosphere for this movie. No music, barely any dialogue at all, but more of a quiet waiting for something bad to happen.
½ July 6, 2015
Filmed like a bad soap opera with bad actors, it is a surprise when the film actually delivers on the scare front. It's a very short film and for the most part, quite boring, but does have some very effective moment. It is essential to watch this before going on to the more famous The Grudge.
½ June 29, 2015
There are flaws but the creep factor is off the charts in this good horror ghost tale.
½ May 1, 2015
Japanese horror... Can make no sense, but I do love it! Some of this is genuinely creepy and horrible.
I do have to laugh at the men being "paralysed" when that thing comes crawling out. I would have been on my feet and out of there in record time.
December 22, 2014
one of the scariest movies i've ever seen. dumb american blood and gore horror just can't keep up with the scariness of profound metaphysic ghost horror. i can still hear the guttural sounds in my weak moments, keeping me away from sane sleep.
½ September 24, 2014
It may suffer from it's direct to video look and acting but despite those flaws the original Ju-On is a creepy low budget ghost story that is great inspiration for budding horror filmmakers. You don't need millions to make something effectively eerie.
September 17, 2014
Is this even the one people think it is? This one is incredible, and having seen the American remake first, I'm almost ashamed that one exists, seeing as this one is far superior in every way. The scares, the acting and the locations are just more genuine and better done in this. Everything in the Sarah Michelle Gellar version felt too scripted and "horror movie"y instead of actually playing for believability and real scares.
My only gripe with this one is the way the stories are arranged. I stops and starts too often, and each story is separated by a black screen with a story title preluding each. It became repetitive and takes you out of the movie.
The scares themselves are awesome, love the way Shimizu sets up every scene with great care to the apprehension of whats to come. It was refreshing not to see stupid annoying jump scares every scene which we're so used to nowadays. I would watch this one over the American grudge any day.
December 28, 2013
my I please watch this
October 23, 2013
Great scares creeper
October 9, 2013
Os breves momentos legais de suspense não conseguem compensar o todo monótono que é o filme, com seu roteiro furado e a total falta de personagens interessantes.
August 20, 2013
I love Horror movie. I love japan pop culture. So I love Ju-on. This film is creepy and reflects dark side of the human being's sin. The scene of the killed wife filled with blood who's crawling from the upstairs to downstairs still stuck in my memory / my brain. However, the paled-face with round black eyes boy, named Toshio Saeki (?? ??) is my favorite character here. Frightened every time Toshio appears on the film!
July 26, 2013
The legendary The Grudge franchise originally titled Ju-On was born here back in 2000 starting with the film, Ju-On: The Curse. They say that if you die of rage, then a curse is born and that is what this movie is about. The ghost from these movies basically follows these victims around until they are mentally tortured and scarred to death. But where did the ghost come from? Well it turns out that this man brutally kills her wife and young son because he was jealous of his wife's love for another man who was actually a teacher from her high school. Searching for the son who has missed a lot of school, the teacher enters their house, only to find the dead ghost of his mother, and consequently has a heart attack and becomes a ghost himself. This movie is very good and you definitely check it out if you have the chance to and all its sequels. This movie is creepy, has gruesome build-up, has several WTF scares and you'll be turning away from your screen a lot, I fucking guarantee that! Now I understand why people think Far East horror is scarier than American horror. Ju-on: The Curse gets a 8/10.
½ March 7, 2013
Its not well made, and its slow, and blah blah but the horror scenes are still good.
½ July 30, 2012
This is a genuinely creepy Japanese ghost story told through short, but haunting vignettes.
½ July 1, 2012
scare me to death, but suck in deliver the feel and story
June 16, 2012
Only Asian filmmakers can succeed scaring me. The plot is somewhat clunky but the sight of the mother-and-son ghost tandem is enough to keep me at the edge of my seat.
June 14, 2012
the movies pretty lame. way overrated. trys to scare to much but doesn't.