Just Looking - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Just Looking Reviews

½ August 16, 2014
Funny, sweet movie that is very nostalgic of the 50s and going through the trauma of adolescence, as well as learning how to take people for more than face value.
½ August 10, 2014
oh Jason Alexander and his wacky direction
it starts off as a cutesy, innocent story about a young Ryan Merriman wanting to know everything about sex
since he's getting all curious his life goal is to actually see it with his own eyes although he has a little trouble accomplishing it because he's moving away and he cant stand his stepfather
once he spends time with his aunt and uncle and a couple friends in a so-called 'sex' club he begins to unravel more of the fascination behind the idea
the movie bounces back and forth between the sex jokes and the drama
but the drama actually starts to unfold more once the hour mark hits and you start to fully comprehend why Lenny is obsessed
the 1950's vibe is fairly retro and most certainly adds to the silliness of the premise
sure it's a large cast of unknowns but they all contribute moderately well to Lenny's quest and coming-of-age
the movie is questionable at several points delving between being a family flick and an adult one however, you'll still have a good time with this one
½ June 20, 2014
This movie is very (and I mean VERY) hard to review. I can't decide whether I think it's a bad movie with some good parts or a good movie with some bad parts. Most of the dialogue between the kids is horrible and their own subplot is not very good. But the movie does a complete 180 when it shows the story and interactions with the main character and the adults. Almost all of the scenes with the young boy and the adults are well written and acted. They create a good narrative and fell very real. So whether this movie is good or bad just falls to the viewers preference. I am stuck in the middle but I still think this movie is a decent watch and would prefer it to most people if they're in the mood for a good coming-of-age movie. 5/10
November 22, 2011
Pretty good coming of age film. Some very good actors all throughout the film mostly characters actors honing their craft. Much of the film rests on Ryan Merriman who is capable. Nice effort at directing by Jason Alexander
½ December 28, 2009
I didn't think it would be that interesting, but it was. It was an interesting storyline kind of weird but it was interesting. It was a good movie to watch to pass the time. Gretchen Mol was pretty good in this along with Peter Onorati and Ryan Merriman. The cast was really good.
December 27, 2009
Pretty good movie by an Armenian guy. It's well worth watching. I could see myself as a young man wanting to know about sex and how it's down. This movie did capture the essence of being a young man with urges. Plus Gretchen Mol is hot and today I watched another movie with her in it.
December 14, 2009
Excellent slice of life story, fine period detail and yet another outstanding performance by Gretchen Mol. Funny, touching and sweet. Great story, perceptively directed by Jason Alexander. Real, believable and beautifully acted by all. Very very enjoyable.
½ September 29, 2009
Gretchen Mol is intriguing.
½ August 20, 2009
Amazingly sweet and funny - the very best movie I have seen in a long time! Jason Alexander is a genius.
June 30, 2009
It was just really really good.
½ June 3, 2009
Surprisingly good coming of age movie. Starts off in a way that many boys can relate to and ends with lessons learned and a boy becoming a man.
May 25, 2009
Awwwww such a great coming of age film!!!! Loved it!
½ May 25, 2009
The movie is another tale of coming of age. These films tend to interest me because of the nostalgia they transmit, but in this case the film doesn't work for me. I know it is unfair to compare a movie with another, but this is nowhere the league of such classics as "Stand by me", "Cinema Paradiso" or many other great tales that depict that moment between childhood and adolescence.
March 3, 2009
Just by luck, I caught "Just Looking" by Sony Pictures Classics. It is a charming tale about how a 14-year-old boy spends his summer vacation. Patti LuPone plays his pragmatic, level-headed mother (sadly, a rather small part). His goal is to see to real live humans having sex before school starts in September, which he must accomplish while in the "country" (Queens) with his pregnant aunt and her big-hearted Italian (oy!) husband. Delightful, and a nostalgic reminder of how sex ed used to be.
½ January 31, 2009
I really enjoyed this movie. I was a good coming of age story and the acting was really good. Just a cute movie to see.
½ August 28, 2008
50s kid join a club to talk about sex.
March 17, 2008
It was really just alright, and rarley ever funny, and the plot was pretty predictable
March 9, 2008
A good story, and I appreciated that it wasn't filled with big names. Definitely worth a look-see.
October 24, 2007
The Single Greatest Movie I Have Ever Seen. Not to mention Ryan Merriman is a sexy, sexy man.