Just Visiting - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Just Visiting Reviews

December 12, 2015
Two invalids from the past come to the present and meet the nobles descendant. Typical misunderstand of modern technology. Been done before.
January 29, 2015
Just visiting is trying to reproduce the successful formulas of: The Visitors, a French classic comedy from the early 90's but fail completely to be interesting or funny because transposed to the United States, the story doesn't have the same impact at all. Sometimes a story is too much anchored into it's culture and transposing it into a different one kills the effects, the jokes and the fun. Here it's exactly what happened and I'm sorry to say the film is a complete waste of time. Un-funny, boring and above all terribly ludicrous, this new version is terrible and fail in every ways while the original was succeeding effortlessly.
May 16, 2014
A delightful movie showing the versatile talents of Jean Reno, Christiana Applegate and Malcolm McDowell. Many critics did not give it the ratings it deserved, as it was quite enjoyable. I still watch it when I want something light hearted.
January 3, 2014
fun for a weekend night.
½ September 25, 2013
This is a very entertaining family movie , original is better , but this still keeps u entertained through out
August 4, 2013
I want that film for my birthday on VHS. :)
July 3, 2013
No Monty Python and the Holy Grail, but a pleasant enough movie to watch once.
½ October 24, 2012
"Just Visiting" has it's share of laughs but there aren't enough of them and the thin characters turn this into a forgettable comedy. The changes made to turn this from a French comedy into an American one are obvious even if you have not seen the original film and are distracting. The basic set up is that we get a 12th century medieval noble and his buffoonish servant sent forward in time where they meet the nobleman's descendants and hilarity ensues due to the "fish out of water" scenarios that are inevitable. There are parts in the movie that are just weird and they'll puzzle you until you realize that they are inserted so the American setting can make sense. For example, the two protagonists live in France in their native time, but are transported to America in the present... because a portion of their castle has been moved to a museum in the U.S.? The movie doesn't feel like it uses this premise to its full potential; we don't get any clever comparisons between Chicago city dwellers and medieval French peasants or any new, memorable characters. It feels like these 12th century travellers are just confronting generic 21st century people. The character "Hunter" is a paper-thin villain and from the beginning the movie makes it blatantly obvious that he is a weasel that we are supposed to dislike and that is going to get his come-uppance eventually instead of trying to build a real antagonist for our travellers. The film just feels like it's playing it too safe, as if a more daring comedy is just underneath the surface but the director and writers didn't think the film needed more than the obvious time travel jokes and bare minimum when it came to the characters. The film will get some decent laughs out, particularly courtesy of Jean Reno and Christian Clavier who are both good but even if you haven't seen the original you'll realize that this isn't anything special. (Dvd, October22, 2012)
February 21, 2013
A knight and his valet get cursed by a witch and the knight accidentally stabs his girl and kills her. He then has a wizard undo the accident and it goes wrong and the knight and his servant get sent to the 21st century.the knight then meets Julia who is a museum employee who looks like his princess and be finds out she is one if his descendants. I thought at first this movie was going to be really lame because it seemed at first like they were trying a little to hard to be funny but I found out after it was over that I enjoyed something that was just wildly entertaining and hilarious. Just watching them with all the technology we have today and figuring it out what it is was so funny. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a movie that they will laugh at until it hurts.
½ March 7, 2013
Pretty dumb, but I suppose there are worse ways to spend a snowy afternoon. Has external shots of the Field Museum!
October 13, 2007
See the original, made with mostly the same cast, set all in France - much funnier.
½ December 27, 2012
This is such a cute film to watch. I really think it is funny. It's always a good laugh when your watch people who dont understand there surroundings unformilar to them. You cant go wrong. Andre the servent was so good in this film. thi s may have been a flm that was unrecognized but i still believe it was really funny to watch, Two Thumbs up.
½ December 8, 2012
This remake was very well done, though some see it as a cheap rip off.
December 7, 2012
Would like to get round to watching.
½ November 25, 2011
it was ok but don't think I'll watch this movie again though, I expected better and I expected better from Jean Reno, it starred Christina Applegate, Tara Reid and Malcolm McDowell
November 10, 2012
"I have good boots!" Christian was great!
April 24, 2011
Not bad, retains both actors from the french original and though the material is quite weak, its likeable.
April 29, 2012
awesome comedy, you can watch it time after time, ignore critics comments,pretty sure half of them didn't even watch it.
April 25, 2012
When my friend brought this movie over, I was like "Whatever"...But it turned out 2 b a pretty good flick.
April 14, 2012
this movie was hilarious!! i loved it!