Kamataki - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kamataki Reviews

June 29, 2009
I'd never heard this movie before, but it was great. It discribes Japanese culture very well. This is a kind of weird movie, but i was really attracted to many sceans. Kazuko Yoshiyuki is acting really good. Erotic and quiet.
June 14, 2009
This is a delightfully well-written piece by Claude Gagnon. It truly captures the essence of small-town Japan, from the bizarre to the poetic, from taiko drums to snack bar girls. However, in my opinion, the personal journey of discovery that Ken-Antoine undertakes would be far more believable and enchanting if Matt Smiley's performance weren't so completely lacking emotion. In fact, all of the Westerners in this film (Lisle Wilkerson is possibly the worst actress I have ever had to endure and should stick to voicing video game characters) are as cardboard as they come. If it weren't for the talented Japanese contingent of the cast (most notably Tasuya Fuji), I don't know if I would have lasted the entire film.
November 27, 2008
An excellent movie based on the traditionnal theme of mentor-mentee.
October 26, 2008
Kamataki is a very poetic film that will make you think about life, passion, relationships, love, death and almost anything that we have to deal with on a regular basis. It takes place in a small town in Japan and the actors are giving awesome performances. I liked it a lot and I recommend it.