Reviews

• Nov 16, 2012

(*** 1/2): [img]http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/user/icons/icon14.gif[/img] Interesting, well-acted, and well-directed.

• Jun 02, 2010

Probably one of the most original (not in terms of style but of its topic and tempo) and important Japanese films made in the last 20 years. Its DVD has not yet released in Japan, probably because it touches the dark side of the post-WWII Japan like Kamikaze soldiers, foreign workers in Japan, Japanese immigrants to Latin America, politics, etc, but it is really well-made film worth watching again and again. Performance of actors, especially Koji Yakusho, is great, and its action scenes are really as in tense as good Hollywood films of the kind. The director Masato Harada studied film in the US, and it really affects his viewpoint about Japan, which you can sense very much in this film.

• Jan 28, 2009

This is what a film should be! A strange and slightly familiar topic but pulled of with perfection. Filled with beauty and violence in fair portions. Lead characters are portraied wonderfully with the nice touch of the interviews. Thou I did'nt think at first I'd like seeing the leads interviewed but at the film went on it became a useful way to see how they were thinking without the Dreaded voice over. So see this film its well worth the viewing. its not a holliwood blockbuster with explosions glitz and glam but instead a well written peice of entertianment.

• Dec 29, 2008

On of my favourite films of all time. Definitely my favourite Japanese film.

On of my favourite films of all time. Definitely my favourite Japanese film.

• Nov 03, 2008

As a Peruvian, I endorse the movie. Seriously though, quite the interesting yakuza film that incorporates modern themes that Japan is currently dealing with, along with black humor! What more could you want?

• Feb 23, 2008

I enjoyed it, good characters and interesting script.

I enjoyed it, good characters and interesting script.

• Feb 22, 2008

Fucking brilliant Japanese film. See it.

Fucking brilliant Japanese film. See it.

• Dec 17, 2007

I don't have too much to say, other than it's great.

I don't have too much to say, other than it's great.

• Nov 26, 2007

What is like to be an alien in Japan...

What is like to be an alien in Japan...

• Nov 03, 2007

Wellcratfted movie with alot of depth and interesting charracters. It takes on several soft topics in japanese society like racism and prejudice.