The Karate Kid - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Karate Kid Reviews

August 22, 2016
It has all the hallmarks of an 80's coming of age drama and then throws in some karate. The montage scene is arguably the greatest of all time and the final fight scene will always make the hairs stand on the back of my neck. Originally, I do feel that Miyagi was a bit of chancer and was getting his whole house painted and car waxed for free, but over time he saw the potential in Danielson and schooled him to that elusive All-Valley Karte tournament trophy.
½ August 20, 2016
Daniel LaRusso is a teenager who along with his mother, moves from New Jersey to California. It's there that he has trouble making friends. He soon meets a girl but soon encounters her dick boyfriend who happens to be a karate champion. The boyfriend and his rebel crew make big trouble for Daniel. Daniel soon befriends the building manager, Mr. Myagi, a wise man from Okinawa who agrees to train Daniel for a local karate tournament. This sports drama isn't just about karate, it's about growing up, friendship and getting the girl. Beautifully directed by John G. Alvidsen.
August 6, 2016
John G Avildsen's The Karate Kid is without a doubt a great film. The Karate Kid is a classic and it is still a film worth seeing today. This film is very well directed and the cast is good here. Ralph Macchio and Pat Mortia are very good in this film and they are both definitely great actors. This film is dedicated to the memory of Pat Mortia. The Karate Kid is a film that is almost perfect. One thing I would change with this film is the fight scenes. Some fight scenes weren't as good as the others. But this is still a terrific film. Everyone in this film are brilliant actors and they all fit the roles that they play. I don't recommend watching the two sequels as they are poorly made and director John G Avildsen did not do as nearly a good a job with the two sequels as he did with this film. This is definitely a must see film.
½ July 12, 2016
The Karate Kid is definitely formulaic, but lovely performances from Pat Morita and Ralph Macchio turns this cliché underdog story into a warm and honest movie.
½ July 3, 2016
Who doesn't love The Karate Kid, one of the most iconic sports films of all time? I know I do. For a pretty standard story, this film was well done. It has it's hoaky moments, but it's so enjoyable. I love the acting, the music, the writing, the characters, and the good life lessons it teaches. Daniel is a very likeable character. He's tough, but sensitive. He's determined, charmingly cocky, and just a nice kid. I felt so bad for him. I really wanted him to succeed. Mr. Miyagi is also a good character. He's confident and wise, and a good karate teacher. The relationship between these two is very warm and strong. Ali is likeable and she and Daniel make a pretty cute couple. The bully Johnny is a fun antagonist. The other villain, the teacher of Johnny's dojo John Kreese, is an enjoyable nut, even though I never got what is problem was. What else is there more to say? It's just a good film and it still holds up today. Predictable and standard, but very charming and passionate, The Karate Kid is and always will be a classic.
June 18, 2016
Un clasico del cine . sin duda
½ June 8, 2016
thanks to Miyagi Daniel-son is the best around! S/O Tangerine Dream for dope score
June 4, 2016
There's no denying The Karate Kid is a great movie, it is simply pure fun all the time.
½ May 19, 2016
The Karate Kid (1984) ??? 1/2
D: John G. Avildsen. Ralph Macchio, Pat Morita, Elisabeth Shue, Martin Kove, Randee Heller, William Zabka. Irresistible, crowd-pleasing look at relationship between young bullied Macchino and his new karate trainer and friend Morita. Exciting, charming, moving, funny, supremely acted. This was a sensation at the box office-and for good reason. Joe Esposito sings the familiar "You're The Best Around". Only complaint: It goes on a bit too long. Followed by two sequels and a remake in 2010.
May 15, 2016
One of my all-time favorite movies. Must have watched this hundreds of times on VHS. Never seems to get old and I'll watch it anytime it's on.
½ February 2, 2016
90%
Filled with classic quotes and performances, The Karate Kid is a story we've all seen before, but the delivery is still as new and interesting today as it was back then.

V: 72%
February 2, 2016
Great from beginning to end.
January 26, 2016
A classical classic.One of my favorite films of all time.
December 21, 2015
ÃÃ,¢?Ã,Ã,¦Ã¢Ã,¦l?
December 7, 2015
A great 80's flick propped up by the great chemistry of Macchio and Morita.
½ December 5, 2015
A much more clichéd and predictable film than its cousin, "Rocky", "The Karate Kid" is nevertheless a film with a lot of heart and even better character development than "Rocky".
December 3, 2015
Os amigos vêm de mundos diferentes, Daniel Larusso (Ralph Macchio) e sua mãe (Randee Heller) recentemente se mudaram de Nova Jersey para o sul da Califórnia. Porém, Daniel não consegue se ambientar em sua nova cidade, até que conhece Ali Mills (Elisabeth Shue), uma garota pela qual se apaixona, porém, a situação de Daniel se complica quando o ex-namorado de Ali, Johnny Lawrence (William Zabka), e sua gangue começam a atormentá-lo. Um dia, quando é cercado pela gangue de Johnny, ele é salvo pelo Sr. Miyagi, um veterano japonês (Pat Morita) mestre na arte do karatê. Disposto a ajudar Daniel, Sr. Miyagi resolve passar-lhe os ensinamentos do karatê, para que ele possa se defender da gangue de Johnny. The Karate Kid foi dirigido por John G. Avildsen, que fez "Rocky", ele termina com o mesmo tipo de cena de luta clímax; Mas o coração do filme não está nas sequências de luta, mas nas relações muito bem construídas de uma história de temperamento doce, comovente emocionante com uma das amizades mais interessantes do cinema.
November 9, 2015
Avildsen reaches back into ROCKY formula here. Epic rivalry between Larusso & Johnny Lawrence culminating in final of All Valley Karate Tournament. Nothing beats Martin Kove's facial expressions during the tourney or Bananarama's 'Cruel Summer' and Joe Esposito's 'You're The Best Around' montages.
October 12, 2015
Ultimate feel good 80s Classic.