Cowboy Bebop: The Movie (Kaubôi Bibappu: Tengoku no Tobira) Reviews

• Nov 08, 2018

This film was great.

This film was great.

• Feb 14, 2018

I urge anyone to watch this! Great movie from a great series. I think the 26 episodes are on Netlix. No I don't work for Netflix but alot of movies are easily accessible on that platform. It's possible you can watch this movie without watching the show. The show is very unique and reaches a wide variety of audiences because of deep philosophical themes of existentialism, loneliness and fate. I also think memory in relation to the human psyche and learning how to best cope with tragedy and loss. Which reminds me that I should definitely revisit this wonderful animated feature that has an excellent cast of voices such as Steve Blum and Beau Billingslea. I've heard of a live adaptation of this movie and won't be surprised if it comes out in the near future. The writers craftily introduce and outroduce(I just made up a word) characters that make a great misadventure. I'm not just speaking about the movie in his review I'm actually speaking of the entire series however this is only a site that rates movies so yea. It gives you a great appreciation for jazz and music and being cool can come in all shapes and sizes. So remember when you watch this movie or the series for the first time this is Holy Animated Material also called HAM.

• Sep 04, 2017

To some it's a standard anime action sci-fi flick. But to the hardcore fans of the show that it's based on, it's a real treat.

• Mar 22, 2017

This extension of Cowboy Bebop is exactly what fans want from the original series, full of action and focus on the complex lead character, even though it toned down the humour that made the series fun to watch.

• Mar 03, 2017

As a huge fan of the anime, I was generally satisfied with this film. The animation here is freakin' fantastic. So crisp, so detailed. The animation team really brought their A-game. The show has great animation, too, but this just knocks it out of the park. The music by Yoko Kanno and the Seatbelts is good. The Bebop crew is as lovable and fun to watch as always. The English voice cast does a wonderful job as usual. The narrative, while nothing fantastic, is wholly entertaining throughout. The action scenes are exhilarating and kept me on my toes. Vincent was a very interesting and intimidating villain, and Elektra was decent. I think what I especially liked about it was that we do get to see Spike open up a little and show more of his true self. He told Elektra things he's never even told Jet, his best friend. There's even a short scene where he plays around with some little boys. In the series he says he hates kids, so seeing this side of him is welcoming and it's a very nice expansion of his character. Now, when it comes to this movie, fans are pretty split. Some see it as a huge disappointment. Others see it as a great adaptation of one of the greatest anime series of all time. While I do in fact like the film, I'm not gonna act like it isn't without flaws because I do have some gripes with this movie. For one thing, the film doesn't have any space-related scenes. Part of the fun of the series is that it has a futuristic/space setting, and the fact that we didn't see outer space at all was pretty disappointing. The action, while great, was kind of minimal. There wasn't as much as I would've liked. Adding to that, there wasn't a variety of characters in the action scenes. Most of it is Spike and Vincent. We don't really get to see Faye or Jet engage in some of the action. Speaking of Faye and Jet, they were pretty underused, especially Jet. Faye does a few cool things, but Jet didn't do that much. I mean, he helped out the crew, but he just didn't have much time to shine. Something else that people complain about is the film's pacing. A lot of people say it's pretty slow and, yeah, I suppose the film did get a little too talky, but it wasn't agonizingly slow or anything. Even when characters would engage in conversation, I was legitimately interested. Also, like a lot of people, I felt the film was a bit too long. It could've been at least twenty minutes shorter. The music, while good, didn't have as much jazz as it should have. I was upset that Tank! wasn't used in the film. While the story is solid, it doesn't quite reach the richness or poignancy of some of the show's stories. Finally, the film ended rather abruptly. There didn't seem to be much of a real conclusion. It just sort of stops. But, hey, despite all of this, I still enjoyed Cowboy Bebop: The Movie. It may not quite reach the heights of the series, but I'm sure Shinichiro Watanabe and his team did their best. It's true that the issues I listed prevent the film from being great and I was definitely disappointed with the film in a handful of areas, but it's visually awesome, it's got loads of style, it's got cool dialogue, it's acted well, it's written well, it's got some intense moments, though-provoking moments, funny moments, and I still got to see the characters I know and love. I think it's a decent, entertaining film. I can see why some fans were disappointed and it definitely has its problems, but for me, I'll most likely watch it again.

• Nov 12, 2016

Pretty close to the spirit of the series, but overlong.

Pretty close to the spirit of the series, but overlong.

• Oct 08, 2016

Starts off awesome but really slows down aside from a couple of cool fight scenes. If you are a fan of Cowboy Bebeop you should watch this but if not you may not enjoy it as much.

• Sep 20, 2016

A truly amazing film on par with series... In fact, is like a long episode of it. Great animation, humorous, violent, intense and a masterpiece. 9.9/10 or 5 stars

• Aug 10, 2016

see you Space Cowboy

see you Space Cowboy

• Jun 29, 2016

Even with my limited knowledge of series, I enjoyed this pulpy neo/tech-noir anime.