Kawa Reviews

• Nov 30, 2015

I thought this was a great little movie out of New Zealand. The plot points are predictable, yet universal. The acting was much better than expected.

• Apr 15, 2014

For those of us who have tried to "do what is right," this movie will more than satisfy. It is truly extraordinary in its depiction of coming of age late in life. If you are looking for happy endings, you just may find one within this movei, but it is not the clap your hands happy ending. It is more the truth being reason enough to be happy. The Kawa's wanting to "live happily ever after, I truly did" drives the truth behind this movie. For those struggling with uncertainty, take time to watch this movie, and leave yourself time to reflect on it after the credits roll.

Sylvester K Super Reviewer
    Aug 26, 2012

Highly unrealistic setting. I don't know where it's set in but it's no where near Auckland. Tried to use fauxtography and faux-cinematography to enhance the film but failed miserably. Acting was just meh, it's horrible.

• Aug 13, 2012

I enjoyed this movie. Definitely on the level of The Whale Rider. Loved seeing different facets of Maoris' lives in New Zealand. The contrast between both movies was outstanding and informative.

• Jul 15, 2012

An interesting New Zealand Film about a Maori father of two coming to terms with being gay, and being the head of his extended family. A little over dramatic in places. Found out it was cast by my cousin.

• Jul 07, 2012

I had high hopes for this one but it disappoints. It's nothing more than a histrionic soap opera. I'd hoped for insight into how sexual orientation affects Maori customs and tradition. Instead this offers every tired cliche including a scene where the mother spies her son embracing his gay lover on a beach (crashing waves and everything). There's even a child in mortal peril as the tide comes in. Well - at least you get to see beautiful New Zealand scenery and a hottie as Kawa's son.

• Jul 01, 2012

Soapy, cheesy, almost unbearable.

Soapy, cheesy, almost unbearable.