Kazaam - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kazaam Reviews

½ December 4, 2013
Lame, boring and annoying
November 21, 2013
I loved this movie. It was a bit dark, but Shaq's dynamic performance as Kazaam added welcome comic relief. The movie's message was incredibly warm, but not cliché.
September 19, 2013
At least it's better than Shaq Fu. PASS
September 3, 2013
I completely disagree with the rest of the close minded reviews. This film is old school and very cheesy, yes, I get that. open minded people find these kind of movies worth watching. I know its no where near being a great movie, but for the 90's, shaq, and being an old school movie is what I loved about it.
August 10, 2013
It's plain stupid, but in a fun bizarre way
½ August 8, 2013
The completely ridiculous premise of Shaq playing an ancient genie, once you get past this its actually not that bad a film. The story of a bullied boy finding a rare lamp with a genie inside.

I mean it veers more on b grade but it does have a story & really it's the acting that lets this one down.

Interesting also as this is a prime example of early CGI through out the film, since the technology was so new the visual effects are now very dated.

It's a simple film that's really going to appeal to 8-10 years old & Shaq's acting is better than Michael Jordan but that's not saying much.
July 27, 2013
I... don't even... what. THIS is what I'm doing instead of partying it up in Wildwood right now? I can't decide whether to rate it half a star or four.
½ July 15, 2013
Plot goes allover the place and nothing really makes sense, the movie just seems to do whatever it feels like and breaks its own rules it abruptly makes. But with a movie starring Shaquille O'Neal as a genie... I mean, what would you expect?
June 11, 2013
A terrible kids movie that once again proves that NBA players need to stop staring in childrens movies. The movie lacks even a single clever joke and is at times pretty creepy. Just an awful movie all around
April 11, 2013
One of the best worst movies.
April 10, 2013
Just under Space Jam on the greatest films of all time list.
April 2, 2013
Fuck the haters shaq in a genie outfit is awesome... 4% really rotten tomatoes. I just have this to say about people that dont like kazaam.... Fuck you... I AM KAZAAM
February 25, 2013
a plus is that its so dumb its entertaining and so silly its embarrassing...
February 11, 2013
Just why? Do we need another flick with an overrated player from a different profession to star in A MOVIE! NOT A COMMERCIAL! Even the weak plot can't save this.
February 6, 2013
Shaq's charismatic, but wow. Just wow.
½ January 25, 2013
The idea of Kazaam is hilarious because it's Shaquille O'Neal, a basketball player in the role of a genie. Unfortunately, that's the funniest thing about it. I expected Kazaam to be bad, but I wanted bad comedy rather than bad drama.
Kazaam is too gritty and crime based to be a kids movie, too childish to be entertaining for anyone else.
It also features cheap-ass visuals, Incredibly fast pacing, ridiculous plot dynamics and a distinct lack of creativity, which I feel can largely be attributed to the poor direction given by Paul Michael Glaser.
Obviously Shaquille O'Neal cannot act for crap, but his role as a cult figure and hilarious commoditization is what makes him ideal for the role of Kazaam, and rarely there's a small laugh to be had.
But with Kazaam, the screenplay was probably written by a 5 year old who's watched every Disney movie and attempted to fuse the moral lessons with a loose rehash of the plot from Enemy of the State.
The cinematography is poor, as is the film editing and the ending with the final wish is was too illogical which is ironic because it's a movie about a rapping genie.

The few minor positives are that it's funny to say that you've actually seen this film because of the idea behind it, as well as a somewhat decent performance from young Francis Capra despite being stuck with awful material.
I guess i also enjoyed the uplifting ending, but it does nothing to change the poor quality of Kazaam one iota.
½ January 22, 2013
This rating would've been higher based on my memories of this movie... But rewatching this... My God is this movie AWFUL! The writing is horrendous, the fantasy wish fulfillment is underutilized, product placement is overt, the kid is nasty, Shaq is forced to do a lot of stupid stuff in the name of entertaining kids... Sometimes these kids movies from the 90s are actually alright -- this is not one of them.
½ January 20, 2013
I can't decide which is worse: Shaq acting or singing?
½ January 12, 2013
Love this movie, and I don't know why
January 8, 2013
What the hell Shaq? You had such a great career in the NBA, why whore out with a crappy movie like this?