The Keep Reviews

• Oct 02, 2020

Yeesh... leave this one buried. I don't know.... I thought I'd seen this movie as a kid, but I must be confusing it with something else, since this poop leaves no letting impression. Maybe my expectations were too high, but it's convoluted, messy and not at all scary. And talk about a poor, mismatched score. and I'm a big fan of Tangerine Dream...

• Dec 26, 2019

An inspired interpretation of an amazing novel of the same name written by F Paul Wilson. It has many elements of the book present, and even follows the very basic plot with a few major variations. The Film itself is "dreamlike" and has amazing Visuals and a Score that sinks into the Psyche. The characters are fun but with the rushed pace have little room to grow naturally, but the main players do develop all the same, it just often lacks "motivation". The dialog is often times difficult to understand due to audio mixing. This movie is a mild obsession of mine, much like Kubrick's The Shining, each viewing tends to make me feel closer to the film as I notice new little things. Overall anyone who enjoys an oddball fantasy feel to their horror movies, will have a good chance of really enjoying this movie for what it is.

• Oct 10, 2019

This is a proper cult classic..Awesome atmospheric soundtrack..and imho, the fact that the studio's final cut makes the story very opaque doesn't matter. Not everything in life should come neatly packaged, tied up with ribbon and a bow on top. Needs an official DVD release.

• Dec 14, 2018

One of my all time favorite horror films though I'd hardly call it horror really. There are loads of critics of this film in the audience but they shouldn't be mad at Michael Mann the director, the reason why this film is hard to follow is a great example of yet another great movie being destroyed by the studio in the cutting room. There's a reason why Shareholders are not directors and this is why. Anyway once you find the pieces cut out of the film you'll understand the whole film!

• Jan 19, 2018

This film is one of my all-time favourites, I think it's visuals are pleasing, the storyline is good. The atmosphere and the visuals really make this film a classic. The slow motion sequences and the design of the evil man and is dialogue is spot on

• Jan 14, 2018

The Keep is one of the best horror films of the 80's. Despite the serious trouble to make the film and the fact it was cut from almost three hours to an hour and a half it still displays the eerie and dark mood that makes it a great show. Superb locations and a credible story. One of my faves from the 80's.

• Aug 21, 2017

I have watched way more movies than the average person. And I will tell anyone that this is one of the greatest films that I have ever seen.

• May 14, 2017

Menuda decepción. Pensaba que The Keep se iba a convertir para mí en esa joyita incomprendida de los ochenta que ahora los amantes del género reclamamos, pero sus problemas son tan grandes y tan imposibles de pasar por alto que el visionado de esta cinta de Michael Mann es una tortura. Una lástima porque tenía muchísimo potencial... Echad un vistazo a mi crítica completa en Terror.Team para entender de lo que hablo: http://terror.team/la-caida-de-un-mito-the-keep/

• Apr 30, 2017

Michael Mann's cult favorite has amazing production values but an empty shell of a plot.

• Nov 21, 2016