Keep the Lights On - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Keep the Lights On Reviews

December 17, 2013
In scope and scale I will agree with the idea that Brokeback Mountain is the first romance to break the social taboo of homosexual love in films in an epic sense. But this film certainly was the first to capture homosexual love in a very sincere, personal sense. I'm not gay myself, but in this film it's portrayed like any other love story would be, and I really appreciate the simplicity of it. The dialogue was beautifully written, the performances were fantastic, the cinematography was gorgeous, and the directing was personal and singular with the viewer. A phenomenal achievement!
December 13, 2013
me gusto aunque me pareció bastante bajón y lenteja por momentos
September 16, 2013
At first, it seems too cool to be moving. Then, it breaks your heart.
August 25, 2013
Keep The Lights On (Ira Sachs): An addict, a lover in denial, and the 10 tumultuous years in between them. Raw, honest, and painful account of a relationship that's bad for you but can't get out of.
August 17, 2013
A raw, truthful film about a long term relationships up and downs when addiction takes control of someones life. Not always an easy film to watch, but very powerful moments.
August 5, 2013
Historia de amor real y desgarradora
July 27, 2013
Quite a searing look at the life of a gay couple, warts and all. But can't help but feel that it all seems cliche, e.g. drug addiction, HIV and random sex. Not exactly the feel-gooder you need on a Saturday night.
jjnxn
½ July 23, 2013
Mind numbingly dull.
½ July 8, 2013
Intriguing subject matter does not make up for a thin plot in "KEEP THE LIGHTS ON."
***
The emotional connection is supposed to the basis for this indie addiction story, but it's never quite felt. In fact, it results in some eye rolling moments. Why is the couple still together at all after all the shit they both put up with? The viewer might understand this if we were ever told what makes Paul (Zachary Booth) or Erik (Thure Lindhardt) so lovable. Instead, we're treated to the standard "he's kind and supportive." Lazy. Not to say we deserve an answer to the enigma of why we love certain people. I think that's part of the movie. But if so, it's wrapped in layers and layers of red herrings.
"KEEP THE LIGHTS ON" certainly has strengths: some of its side stories, like a planned pregnancy, STD-scare, and workloads. But they're half-realized ideas most of the time. And they're in the movie's first half, by far the better portion. After that, the crack addiction storyline is repetitive and long. I can't speak to its authenticity, either. It's not a complete waste of time, just one that should employ more emotional investment.
July 5, 2013
"In your twenties, being up-and-coming is charming. In your thirties, brother, it's pathetic."

Mildly amusing, though frighteningly accurate, quote from Keep The Lights On - an absorbing film about: falling in and out of love; how addiction affects relationships; and finding the courage to forgive and forget and move on.

As far as I can gather, it only has a limited release in the UK, so if you do get a chance to see it, I thoroughly recommend it.

As for being up-and-coming and on the wrong side of thirty, persevere.
June 30, 2013
With just a few features under his belt, Ira Sachs has proven he can explore the depths of sadness and complex human emotion. This was especially true in his profound 40 SHADES OF BLUE. KEEP THE LIGHTS ON continues in this vain by examining a 10-year relationship in fragments with very high highs and very low lows. Sex, friendship, cheating, and drugs are all part of this very modern mix which at times is quite sublime, but for a film like KEEP THE LIGHTS ON to truly work it must feel genuine and unfortunately, there's too much movie dialogue and things happen far too easily. When you find yourself asking, "how can these guys afford this all?" you know you are in trouble. Sachs is unable to suspend disbelief even at this base level. Sad because under it there is a brilliant film waiting to unfold.
June 16, 2013
If a movie is going to be this bad, the least it could do is offer more gratuitous nudity.
May 25, 2013
There's more painful realism than dramatic emotion in Peccapics' slightly inferior companion to Weekend.
May 19, 2013
Devastating view of gay love through the filter of addiction. Unflinchingly honest and difficult to watch. This is not a movie about recovery. It's about the downward spiral through madness, betrayal, desperation and despair.
May 5, 2013
This was soooooooo dull - the characters were really wet and unlikeable and i really didn't care for them a bit.
I would say this is pretty unwatchable
May 5, 2013
A very moving, interesting film, tracking the relationship between two men over a decade. It's obviously a very personal film for the director, too.
April 26, 2013
Sexy, romantic and realistic. It's a modern love story set in New York, where two people with their own difficulties come together and develops a relationship. Friends and family are also important elements in the film, the film has a great ensemble and amazing acting from Thure Lindhardt. The best part in the film is that it shows gay couples have problems of their own too, unlike most other films of this genre where everything goes on smoothly. The direction was brilliant, the timing in the film was brilliant and the soundtrack was great, script was also very cute and natural. It's a must see.
April 23, 2013
This film is like watch a real life drama. Know it is not pretty. No it is not neat. Yes, it is necessary.
April 21, 2013
"Keep the Lights On" is not a love story, but a story about love -- a character study of affairs, addictions and distractions, bathed in yellow light and New York, and conducted by Thure Lindhart's haunted, lightning-in-a-bottle performance.
April 18, 2013
An intimate, honest and uncompromising study of the need for love and the addictions to drugs, sex and intense emotion that may accompany -- and sabotage -- love's pursuit.