Keeping Up With The Steins - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Keeping Up With The Steins Reviews

erika250
July 14, 2011
Keeping Up with the Steins is about trip to his bar mitzvah party with his dysfunctional family in one house.
Good plot and good acting most of the time
Its kind of a cult, spoof and comedy mix into to one. This film is making fun of how too many Jewish families see a bar mitzvah or bat mitzvah not as a coming of age for their son or daughter, but rather as an excuse to throw outrageously lavish parties. It had one good song at the very end.
Cons
Lacking acting sometimes
Lacking good music some times.
Weird
jjnxn
½ April 3, 2007
much better then expected
April 3, 2007
Being Jewish, I have a bias towards liking a film like this. The usage of Yiddish, along with the many exaggerations of the Jewish family are something most people won't understand, unless they grew up around it. Parts of this film I found to be hysterical, while my non-Jewish friend, sitting next to me, didn't get it at all. As for the film, it's a lie before the credits even stop rolling. Keeping Up With The Steins, really has very little to due with the Stein family, as they are part of the background story at best. The film is actually about a broken family, forced together on the eve of a child's Bar Mitzvah. Benjamin Fiedler (Daryl Sabara) is turning 13, which in the Jewish religion means that he is about to become a man. His parents are well off and are making huge plans for the event, but Ben wants no part of it. In an attempt to take the attention off himself, he sends an invitation to his estranged Grandfather that he's never met, a Grandfather, who shows up to the families wealthy neighborhood in an old RV, with a woman half his age. This is where the heart of the story comes from, as father and son are forced together after fifteen years. Jeremy Piven stars as the son and believe it or not he's a big time Hollywood agent, living in a life of luxury. This toned down version of Ari is forced to see his father, played by the legendary Garry Marshall. For the past 15 years, he's been living as a hippie, teaching on an Indian reservation. As soon as they see each other the two are at odds and it really is very funny. The star of the film is Spy Kids, Daryl Sabara, who I have never liked. He's just always so shy and painfully awkward, I really just don't understand his appeal. While he is a major part of the story, the parts of the film that feature him without Marshall or Piven are just painful. Keeping Up With The Steins isn't raunchy and much of the humor is intertwined in the Jewish religion. If you're not Jewish, you'll probably have the same reaction my friend did. Personally I loved it, but I can understand how this film won't appeal to everybody.
½ November 7, 2006
Resoundingly artificial and rarely amusing.
½ March 22, 2012
Not bad. Pretty forgettable movie though.
January 20, 2008
Maybe a bit repetitive but it's funny and pretty interesting.
August 7, 2013
Even though it eventually comes around, it's still absent on humor, and filled with an overabundance of bland sitcom material.
½ August 17, 2009
I was extremely bored with this movie. I was not keeping up with this film. I resaw this film and you know your movie is extremely in trouble when you stop caring somewhere along the plot. I pretty much stopped caring about this film sowhere I don't know, for I wanted it to end as soon as possible. I hated every character in ths flick and thought it was a waste of time from point a to point b. Burn this film!
April 22, 2008
A funny and mildly touching look at the world of Bar Mitzvahs, a must for all jewish boys who have already had theirs.
½ May 11, 2007
The idea of young boy arriving at the age where he is considered a man is celebrated traditionally by Jews. In this age of consumerism, most 13 year old boys are given lavish feasts in which expense seems to be no object by parents that have the means to do so. The feasts evidently must have a theme. When we first meet the people in this mildly funny movie, they are in the middle of a bar mitzvah with a Titanic theme. We watch as the young boy arrives in a replica of a ship posing as Leonardo DeCaprio and even colliding with an iceberg. This party cost about half a million dollars to Arnie Stein, a Hollywood type that can well afford it. As Benjamin's own bar mitzvah approaches, his parents, Adam and Joanne Fiedler must make a decision about how big a party they want, and what theme will their son choose. Benjamin, who appears more grounded than his Hollywood agent's father, only wants to have his paternal grandfather, a person he has never met, at the party. Benjamin plays a trick by sending Irwin Fidler an invitation with a date of two weeks before the actual event. Little prepares him for the character his grandfather turns out to be. Irwin, who left his family when Adam at a young age, comes to town with his New Age-type girlfriend, who goes by the name of Saved Feather, to stay at his son's mansion. This brings back bad emotions Adam has kept bottled inside him. He can't forgive his father for what he, and his mother Rose, had to endure. The old man is a changed man and his love for his newly found family serves to get Adam's forgiveness. Garry Marshall steals the show with his Irwin. Mr. Marshall knows comedy well and knows what buttons to press to put the audience in his pockets. Doris Roberts is tremendously appealing as Rose, the wife that has had to endure a lot after Irwin left her. Jeremy Piven and Jamie Gertz are perfect as the parents facing a dilemma about to go broke in order to keep up with the Steins. Daryl Sabara is an excellent actor who shows he knows what he is doing. Daryl Hannah has some good moments as the evolved New Ager. Larry Miller and Richard Benjamin are seen in supporting roles. Basically, there was no cussing, sex, or violence to mar this nice piece of family entertainment.
March 27, 2008
Pretty damn funny and light-hearted romp. Solid ensamble cast but the film was kind of dull at points especially towards the end. I was ready for the loose ends to wrap up about 20 minutes before they actually did, which is never a good thing and probably hurt my overall impression of the movie more than it should. Definitely worth a watch...some of the jokes really delivered, but some fell flat. Comedic legend Garry Marshall undoubtedly stole the movie and made it his own. Jeremy Piven was grating in his role and became quite annoying.
October 19, 2007
I saw this at the 2006 Tribeca Film Festival. It's definitely geared towards a family groud, but it's still pretty funny.
½ October 10, 2007
It would've been better if the focus was less on Jeremy Piven's issues with his dad and more on his issues with Larry Miller's character. It also didn't help that Larry Miller's son was a lot more entertaining to watch than Piven's son (who was the central character). Another knock on the movie is that besides the naked grandfather, it felt more like a PG movie than a PG-13 one. Not a bad movie, but I probably won't watch it again.
½ February 10, 2007
Cute, but that's it.. at least from my perspective as a very NOT Jewish Pagan.. The acting was mostly great.. (not my favorite Daryl Hannah role, although I did think the character was interesting) Garry Marshall was.. well.. come on.. he's Garry Marshall..

This one is worth a watch.. but I wouldn't run out and buy it right away..
August 22, 2007
This movie looked funny...then turned out to SUCK...I was very disappointed...not many jokes or funny moments at all.
½ August 20, 2007
Some funny parts but for the most part poorly put together. It just seemed like some one turned the camera one and said action. Total cinematic chaos.
½ May 9, 2016
I would compare this movie to garbage, but that wouldn't be entirely accurate...both are stinky and useless, but garbage has substance. "Keeping Up with the Steins", a completely unfunny comedy with a wasted cast of talented actors, is just...nothing.
October 31, 2015
This was a great coming of age movie that was funny, value oriented and even brought a tear to my eye. This was a fine piece of storytelling and a great find.
October 4, 2015
Cute, with a good lesson about family, plus, you can play spot the star cameos.