Keeping Up With The Steins - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Keeping Up With The Steins Reviews

½ May 9, 2016
I would compare this movie to garbage, but that wouldn't be entirely accurate...both are stinky and useless, but garbage has substance. "Keeping Up with the Steins", a completely unfunny comedy with a wasted cast of talented actors, is just...nothing.
October 31, 2015
This was a great coming of age movie that was funny, value oriented and even brought a tear to my eye. This was a fine piece of storytelling and a great find.
October 10, 2015
Cute, with a good lesson about family, plus, you can play spot the star cameos.
January 5, 2015
it was really good until the last 15 minutes or so when it turned into a different, dumber movie
October 13, 2014
Being Jewish, I have a bias towards liking a film like this. The usage of Yiddish, along with the many exaggerations of the Jewish family are something most people won't understand, unless they grew up around it. Parts of this film I found to be hysterical, while my non-Jewish friend, sitting next to me, didn't get it at all. As for the film, it's a lie before the credits even stop rolling. Keeping Up With The Steins, really has very little to due with the Stein family, as they are part of the background story at best. The film is actually about a broken family, forced together on the eve of a child's Bar Mitzvah. Benjamin Fiedler (Daryl Sabara) is turning 13, which in the Jewish religion means that he is about to become a man. His parents are well off and are making huge plans for the event, but Ben wants no part of it. In an attempt to take the attention off himself, he sends an invitation to his estranged Grandfather that he's never met, a Grandfather, who shows up to the families wealthy neighborhood in an old RV, with a woman half his age. This is where the heart of the story comes from, as father and son are forced together after fifteen years. Jeremy Piven stars as the son and believe it or not he's a big time Hollywood agent, living in a life of luxury. This toned down version of Ari is forced to see his father, played by the legendary Garry Marshall. For the past 15 years, he's been living as a hippie, teaching on an Indian reservation. As soon as they see each other the two are at odds and it really is very funny. The star of the film is Spy Kids, Daryl Sabara, who I have never liked. He's just always so shy and painfully awkward, I really just don't understand his appeal. While he is a major part of the story, the parts of the film that feature him without Marshall or Piven are just painful. Keeping Up With The Steins isn't raunchy and much of the humor is intertwined in the Jewish religion. If you're not Jewish, you'll probably have the same reaction my friend did. Personally I loved it, but I can understand how this film won't appeal to everybody.
April 13, 2014
Talk about obscure. I saw this one sunday afternoon with about three other people in the theater with me. It's an interesting take on Judaism in America and the pomp and circumstance that comes with one's bar mitzvah. But it could've honestly been a lot better. It's about as cliched a movie as you could possibly get, right down to the obligatory musical guest appearance by Neil Diamond. In terms of an Ethnic comedy, It never comes close to the brilliance of "Moonstruck"... hell.. not even "My Big Fat Greek Wedding".
December 5, 2013
A jewish boy is going to have his barmitzva, but he has his doubts about why, when and where.
It has to be good and big and all that, but the family have its problems keeping up with the Steins.
No big suprises, but a allround good movie
August 7, 2013
Even though it eventually comes around, it's still absent on humor, and filled with an overabundance of bland sitcom material.
December 7, 2012
......................
½ October 4, 2012
Jeremy Piven is just awesome!
April 21, 2012
It was sweet! Great movie about coming of age.
April 21, 2012
It was sweet! Great movie about coming of age.
½ March 22, 2012
Not bad. Pretty forgettable movie though.
February 6, 2012
This film misses every single target.
February 3, 2012
WTF is this bullshit??
January 1, 2012
looks so so, i dont know if i want to see it or not, '

REMEMBER: IM NOT SURE IF I WANT TO SEE IT!!!!
½ November 23, 2011
I kind of liked it...
August 1, 2011
Boring use of Jew jokes.
erika250
July 14, 2011
Keeping Up with the Steins is about trip to his bar mitzvah party with his dysfunctional family in one house.
Good plot and good acting most of the time
Its kind of a cult, spoof and comedy mix into to one. This film is making fun of how too many Jewish families see a bar mitzvah or bat mitzvah not as a coming of age for their son or daughter, but rather as an excuse to throw outrageously lavish parties. It had one good song at the very end.
Cons
Lacking acting sometimes
Lacking good music some times.
Weird