Keith Richards: Under the Influence Reviews

• Feb 27, 2019

For music lovers and Keith appreciaters.

For music lovers and Keith appreciaters.

• Sep 15, 2018

Good, but needs more focus and depth. The legendary Keith Richards reveals the artists, individuals and music that influenced his music. Interesting documentary, on a very interesting subject. Keith Richards is one of the most influential and successful artists in music history and his views on music are generally worth listening to. The documentary does a reasonable job of showing what and who influenced him, making him the musical genius and megastar he has become. Some good clips from the influential artists, plus Rolling Stones clips and Keith Richards solo clips, including behind-the-scenes footage from him working on his latest album. However, the documentary lacks focus, jumping around and not really making too much of a point in the end. In a way this adds charm to proceedings, as this fits in with the laid-backness of Richards's persona. It would still be nice to have some degree of order though... In addition, as you would imagine of someone of Keith Richards's ilk, his influences are broad and there is much ground to cover. This leaves not much in the way of depth, e.g. reggae gets covered in about 5 minutes and even Chuck Berry, probably the greatest influence on Richards, is only highlighted through the anniversary concert Richards appeared at. A longer, more detailed, documentary would have been great.

• Feb 01, 2017

A fairly good rockumentary about none other than Keith Richards. It captures who Keith is as a person today, rather than regurgitating the past history of The Rolling Stones. This is actually refreshing, despite my greater interest in The Stones as that topic is more than well covered, like the Beatles. This portrait of the ageing rocker highlights 3 predominant themes for me: 1) The fact that Keith truly is a lifelong student of the American blues and has essentially enjoyed an incredible life marketing a lifelong passion to white audiences in America over the last 55 years. 2) It's interesting to see how much this man laughs. At times this quality is so predominant that it becomes annoying. However, it seems sincere and genuine. This may be one of the secrets to his longevity. Between the laughing and slurring, it sometimes is difficult to understand what this man is trying to say. 3) I cannot believe how much Keith smokes! How he has lasted this long having smoked for so long may be the subject of a medical study. I felt like coughing simply by watching him with a cigarette in literally every frame. A must for Stones fans. I don't know if this will be appreciated or go over well otherwise. I commend the fact that the filmmakers did not focus on past glories of The Stones.

• Aug 14, 2016

well this one is about as good as promised...other than not really being about drugs, its an intimate, albeit maybe a tad limited, interview based portrait of the legend and what makes him tic > being music esp blues and americana more than just the legendary drug intake...he does mention that subject... the good stuff are a few interviews with the man modern day (although maybe more clips from other sessions would have broadened the scope a tad) and some juicy tidbits with other cohorts, happily ole sir mick not really being one of them..instead we hear from his non stones cohorts and tom waits... a doc well wroth watching with some nice old clips and a good amount of music, and not so much his own as the great stuff that influenced him Muddy Waters and more ive looked at this one more than once now and am glad...

• Jul 15, 2016

Very interesting look at a man with interesting music

Very interesting look at a man with interesting music

• Apr 04, 2016

A fun and snappy biopic of Keef which coincides with his new album 'Crosseyed Heart'. If your a fan of Rock n' Roll then its great.

• Jan 12, 2016

Hoo doggie, if you're already a fan of the legend that is Keith Richards - I heartily recommend this doc. As opposed to a lot of the material that delves into Keef's personal life and urban myths and such, this sticks pretty solidly to his musical journey and includes a lot of really cool footage from his Stones era and on into his solo emergence in the late 80?s. There's also something to be said for his personality itself influencing the filmmaking so much. I feel like his swagger and unique storytelling is something we don't see in musicians so much anymore - every line he speaks is crazily quotable. The only failing I find is the kind of rambling looseness of the story itself, even though it's totally appropriate and fitting to Keith. I just found myself not totally sucked in and the arc of the doc wasn't quite solidified. Either way, still a pretty good exploration of Keith Richards, his influence on music, and music's influence on him.

• Dec 14, 2015

Enjoyable documentary from an interesting man. It makes you appreciate what a musician he is.

• Nov 30, 2015

Just another fine example of a man many of us wish we could be

Just another fine example of a man many of us wish we could be

• Oct 24, 2015

Pros: The Music (duh), The Scenes with Tom Waits, The archival Rolling Stones footage Cons: The parts where they tried just a little too hard to sell me the new Keith Richards album