The Kennel Murder Case - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Kennel Murder Case Reviews

½ March 18, 2015
This dogs been struck a nasty blow

On a weird night, a dog is mysteriously released from a kennel and murdered in the alley. Later that night, it appears a police officer committed suicide. A detective strongly believes things are not as they appear. As he digs deep, he finds some skeletons in the closet.

"I would have killed him."
"Well, did you?"
"That's your problem."

Michael Curtiz, director of Casablanca, The Adventures of Robin Hood, White Christmas, Mildred Pierce, Yankee Doodle Dandee, and Four's A Crowd, delivers The Kennel Murder Case. The storyline for this picture is unique and contains some interesting elements. The acting is a little cheesy but entertaining. The cast includes William Powell, Mary Astor, Eugene Pallette, and Ralph Morgan.

"He wants to see you."
"I don't want to see him. Tell him I said so."

I grabbed this off Turner Classic Movies (TCM) because it seemed like a cool thriller that they aired in October; that, and I adore Michael Curtiz movies. This movie has a cool vibe and good tempo. This isn't Curtiz's best film, but the detective is well written and portrayed. I found this film entertaining and worth a viewing.

"This bedlam is getting on my nerves."

Grade: B-
½ January 18, 2015
William Powell is great as usual. The film was moderately entertaining, but I found the murder solution too complex and rather unsatisfying. It must have been a welcome escape for early 30s audiences though.
March 11, 2014
A really good whodunit. I just wish there were more scenes with Mary Astor.
January 29, 2014
good pre-code whodunit
February 27, 2013
Powell's Philo Vance is a lot like his later, more famous Nick "The Tin Man" Charles, but something is missing. I think it's Myrna Loy.
November 18, 2012
While he's no Nick Charles, Philo Vance handily solves the crime in this classic example of a whodunit.
November 16, 2012
Not as snappy at "The Thin Man", but it's hard to go wrong with William Powell solving mysteries. This particular Philo Vance story was directed by Michael Curtiz, so their is a fair amount of style to the film as well.
July 10, 2012
The Kennel Murder Case is another entertaining film. It is about Philo Vance who investigates the locked-room murder of a prominent and much-hated collector whose broken Chinese vase provides an important clue. William Powell and Mary Astor give amazing performances. The screenplay is good but drags a little in some places. Michael Curtiz still did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama and mystery. The Kennel Murder Club is a must see.
November 11, 2011
This movie would have been totally unremarkable without William Powell. This was not his best role, but he was still enjoyable!
½ March 26, 2011
Creaky mystery but Powell is suave and efficient as always.
½ February 28, 2011
Nice little whodunit that obviously influenced the makers of The Thin Man to cast William Powell as Nick. Here, and in a number of films (which are unavailible) he plays Philo Vance, hard working detective with a cute little dog, he is called off his cruise to solve a murder of an art dealer that noone really likes. Soon, with little clues, he traces back how the murder was done. I did like the flashback scenes to recreate the murder, and this wasnt too hard to follow. Great viewing if you're a fan of The Thin Man, you don't have Myrna Loy though..
September 17, 2010
Michael Curtiz was way ahead of his time. Great camerawork and William Powell is so suave. A very enjoyable whodunnit that had me guess correctly, then change my mind, then find out I was right in the first place.
September 6, 2010
Before the Thin Man, Powell played Philo Vance, detective. He has charm and humour in this movie as well. This movie is fun and exciting for a movie involving a dog.
July 31, 2010
Although William Powell is always a class-act, his Philo Vance seems to be Nick Charles, without as much fun. He's a detective trying to piece together a string of murders related to a dog show. I had a little bit of a difficult time keeping up, because so many of the actors looked alike. I kept getting confused on who was who. It's a good little film, but definitely not one of his best.
½ July 8, 2010
This was something I checked out because of William Powell's involvement, and while there's nothing wrong with the film, I suppose I was expecting something more in the vein of The Thin Man series, where this is played mainly straight.

Still, it's an enjoyable mystery, well worth a look.
June 24, 2009
William Powell + 1930s WB + Detective + Scotties! = Awesome
½ September 22, 2008
Decent Philo Vance mystery flick.
½ September 5, 2008
Don't think for a moment that because this has William Powell in it that it is going to be good.

I think what annoyed me the most about this mystery was that there was no real investigation. Powell's character would walk into a room and instantly know just where the clues would be. If there had been a hidden safe, he would have instantly found it.

I don't mind having a character who is a little more on top of things than the others in mysteries, but it's not so fun when it appears that they have already read the script and just have to hurry through the motions to make the mystery solving look official.
July 7, 2008
In my opinion one of the first decent talkie (hard to imagine a silent detective film) detective movies and my favorite of the Philo Vance detective series...the others run a little slow. The methodolgy of the murder has been stolen for a number of recent movies and TV shows so it doesn't seem as novel as it might have back in the day but its an intreguing little mystery. The subplots of dog shows and chinese dynastic art collecting are interested and the art acquiring cook who when to USC is uniquely complex for early dipictions of Asians in Hollywood but still not "politically correct" today. The complex double murder and suspects galore is typical of the period mystery but really comes together although a bit slow for the modern audience it is worth the watch just to see Powell in his dashing best. Good stuff!