The Kentucky Fried Movie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Kentucky Fried Movie Reviews

½ January 7, 2012
Written by the ZAZ Team (Airplane! The Naked Gun, etc) and directed by John Landis (National Lampoon's Animal House, The Blues Brothers, etc), this is one of, if not the earliest spoof film.

There's not really much of a plot, as this is more of an anthology of mostly unconnected sketches that parody various television programs, commercials, and different films, namely of the exploitation and educational varieties. There's also a hilarious jab at cinematic gimmicks, where a man goes to a movie being shown in "feel around"...which results in him being physically accosted by an usher.

The film is very politically incorrect, rude, stupid, silly, and goofy, but I mostly had a good time with it. A lot of it is pretty smart with the satire, and really dead on, but then there's a fair amount that just left me feeling kinda "meh", despite a sly grin on my face.

I think the biggest issue here is that the film, though clever and well done, is quite dated, and some of the jokes are no longer as effective thanks to the passage of time, with audiences growing more accustomed to raunch.

All in all though, it is enjoyable, but not nearly as groundbreaking as later stuff like Airplane! That being said, I must give special praise to the level of detail and care that went into the Kung fu parody, as well as the fact that the film features a midget dressed in a clown suit whipping half naked Catholic schoolgirls chained up in a dungeon.

If this sounds like your thing, then give it a shot.
August 18, 2011
Just when I thought it safe to go on watching, there I go again laughing Hysterically.

SHAMLESS FUNNY. zuckNuckLe My MAN! One the Number 1 on my ZuckNuckle Top Ten Movies. I dont really care what people say but this Movie is just too friggin too funny to miss.
For a low Budget and for a Seventy Spoof it was Hilarious.
warning not for kids!
½ July 24, 2007
Crude, nude and not for the prude! As one of the first satire films ever to have been made, this marks the historic birth of a subgenre, that with time has come to generate a whole ocean's worth of offsprings. Very raunchy and experimental by form, yet for the better part quite funny. Some of the jokes are really top-of-the-line, even if the editing and visuals look awfully dated and low-budget. For when they do hit their target, they do so to side-splitting results. One thing that entertained me in particular was the spoof on Bruce Lee's Enter the Dragon. Having recently seen said martial arts flick, just made it all the more hilarious. So if you're into this special flair of comedy, I can definitely recommend you to give it a go. That is, if you're not too easily offended by its raw and unapologetic humor. Because if there's one thing this movie doesn't do, it's holding back its punches.
½ September 6, 2010
One of my favourite spoof movies of the 70s, it's hilarious and spoofs both TV and film. The main part of the movie has a spoof of Enter the Dragon, which is one of the funniest things I've ever seen. There are a bunch of cameos to look for as well, so I highly recommend this movie to fans of the 70s.
½ July 17, 2010
A bit underdeveloped, but essentially that's why people love it. A precursor to the big funnies of Naked Gun and Airplane, Kentucky is odd, funny, and overall a 70's mishmash of cultural references too old for most to get, and nudity galore. Interesting overall.
January 12, 2010
A wonderful spoof film that hasn't aged very well visually, but still holds up comedically.
½ August 26, 2007
A mix of short sketches spoofing, film and TV shows. The highlight a great spoof of Enter the Dragon. Made by the same people behind Airplane, Hot shots and Naked gun films. Loud, rude and crude but has plenty of laughs along the way.
November 13, 2006
The Bruce Lee stuff went on too long but this movie was damn funny.
September 11, 2007
Exceedingly slapdash early effort by the ZAZ clan.
½ October 20, 2008
Did you laugh during Philadelphia? Do you find dead children amusing? And does the name "Long Wang" make you titter like a schoolgirl? If the answer is no, then go and watch Dances With Wolves. Now those two have gone, let me tell you about The Kentucky Fried Movie. It's very hilarious, features frequent nudity, scenes of a silly nature, a spoof of Enter The Dragon, and a midget dressed as a clown whipping naked Catholic school girls. I laughed consistently and you will too.

I miss John Landis...
½ October 20, 2009
An early Film from the guys behind Airplane, Naked Gun and Hot Shots. This is more a series of long sketches than an actual film and to be honest, looks pretty dated. But it has some hilarious moments and is definately worth hunting down if you're a fan of the films above.
July 25, 2009
It was a hoot for sure. It must have played a hell of a lot better at the time it was made. That's not to say I didn't think it was funny.
June 2, 2008
silly and daring...slapstick, goofy, some funny sketches..worth a watch if you are not easily offended...
June 7, 2007
I watched this with a bunch of my friends over and we lost it! Really hilarious.
½ March 23, 2006
Ahead of it's time. Really well done considering the small budget. Some good laughs.
September 3, 2015
A pre-Airplane Zuckers-Abrahams sketch flick that has a lot of hilarious un-pc gags, but not so great overall because the longest sketch that's essentially a 3rd of the movie is a drag.
½ January 4, 2013
My big complaint is that the main Kung Fu parody is too long but this is a hilarious movie with tons of cool gags and segments. Catholic School Girls in Trouble is a favorite of course. A nice partnership between John Landis and the ZAZ makes this a comedy milestone
½ October 31, 2011
This one is so much fun, I have fond memories of catching it numerous times on afternoon television in my early teens, and it was so much fun to re-visit it this afternoon in much the same setting and see how well it holds up.

This is comedy done right, those 'movie' movie assholes should take note, as this material is dated and still manages laughs, whereas the 'movie' movie films have just become sad, out of context nonsense that amuses no one.

Fun film, give it a look.
July 3, 2011
Bad. I do like my chicken fried though. And cold beer on a Friday night, and a pair of jeans that fit just right.
December 14, 2009
Most of the rating goes towards the idea of the movie other than that it's a hit and miss fest the whole time.