Keoma (Django's Great Return) (The Violent Breed) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Keoma (Django's Great Return) (The Violent Breed) Reviews

August 15, 2017
What a bizarre Western, as Nero rides into town, the long-haired, bare-chested, half-breed, hippy gunslinger with the typical agenda you see in these kind of movies. It's the score that really stands out the most, it's a strange Greek chorus, that I'm not sure even works, but it's different...
March 16, 2017
This was another Franco Nero western that I was pleased to finally cross of my list, and I honestly was ready to rate it very highly until I realized that the Gawdawful soundtrack was going to basically narrate what we were seeing on the screen for the entire film, whcih was massively distracting and annoying. The story itself is fine, Nero is a man trying to free his hometown from a gang of cutthroats who have taken over, but the music ruined any goodwill the rest of the film had for me, making it only a passable viewing experience.

Rental at best.
December 15, 2016
Stylish, moody and kinda hypnotic at times. The music is one of the most unusual spaghetti scores out there.
May 16, 2016
Keoma is a beautifully crafted film, like a Leone western with a painters' eye. The story of a half breed man who must fight his own kin makes for an interesting western piece. But someone felt the story needed some help by inserting songs that "literally" tell what the characters are thinking. It is so jarring and laughable, especially in some emotionally-driven scenes.
½ May 8, 2016
I'm not a big spaghetti western fan but there's something about Keoma that just works for me. Perhaps it's the grand action pieces, or the one man versus all story. Perhaps it's the greek tragedy aspects of this tale of family against family. Or maybe it's just Franco Nero with a sawed off 2 barrel blowing away bandits that just works for me. Either way, Keoma is a truly enjoyable western that I'd tell people on the fence to give a try. It almost makes me want to watch more westerns... almost.
February 17, 2016
Nero is so cool in this. He is like the front man of a 70's prog rock band on acid. The soundtrack is fucking mental. Great showdown and ending. It would make for a fantastic triple header feature with Sergio Corbucci's Navaja Joe (1966) and Michael Winner's Chato's Land (1972).
½ July 23, 2015
Almost comically bad at times, which is a shame, because it could've been really good.
½ February 7, 2015
Worth a viewing for the hardcore Spaghetti Western fans, but the script might've benefited from some work and the pace should've been faster. This however is a good story and there are some fine shooting scenes!
May 20, 2013
Aside from the odd alpine location as a substitute for what is a rugged and gritty western setting, this is a superbly poetic offering, especially in its finale and the last scene is the director's greatest achievement in this feature.
½ March 12, 2013
Worth a viewing for the hardcore Spegetti Western fans, but the script might've benefited from some work and the pace should've been faster. This however is a good story and there are some fine shooting scenes!
January 6, 2013
One damn cool Spaghetti Western! I really enjoyed this. It's a bit corny at times and the score almost makes you want to laugh, but there's something dark about it and once the violence starts I couldn't help but get sucked in.
August 17, 2012
Enzo G. Castellari's 1976 spaghetti western, Keoma, is very much a niche film. It is not a movie for everyone. It is by no means the standard shoot-em-up bang bang western that most audiences might know from the likes of John Wayne and others. This film is much deeper than that. It deals largely in the view of subjugation of others. There is the mistreatment of the people who had been ravaged by the plague. And there is the racist view of Keoma's half brothers towards him because he is half Native American. And of course, his friend George, who is African American, suffers prejudicial views because of the times.

Seeing the way that Caldwell and his gang treat everybody as less than second class citizens (including a pregnant woman who doesn't even have the plague), Keoma serves as society's better half, trying to eliminate that prejudice, albeit through violent means. Simply put, the movie is less Western and more social commentary. On a more simplistic level, while it is a work of social commentary, it's still a western. And it's one that even at nearly two hours long, is still able to keep the audience's attention without being too preachy in its message. That's the most important factor in the grand scheme of things.

By and large, Keoma is not a movie for everyone. It's anything but a happy movie. It's violent and it‚(TM)s very dark in its message. Add on what can only be defined as a more than bittersweet ending, and audiences get a movie that will be difficult for many audiences to digest. On the other end, though, this is one more must for any true student of filmmaking. It offers so much that there is simply not enough time to get into it all. It alone is worth its share of discussions in any college level or higher film studies class. And that is enough to make it a movie not only to be watched, but to be remembered.
½ August 8, 2012
Quin nivellŗs per ser un "Spaghetti Western". Impressionant!
½ July 5, 2012
Keoma is a tad more psychological than many of the Spaghetti Westerns, and told in an unusual way which incorporates flashbacks so abrupt that they almost seem to be manifestations of Keoma‚(TM)s own point of view. Combine all that with some starkly expressed racial issues, not the least of which is the title character‚(TM)s ‚half-breed‚? status as the son of a white man and Native American woman, and this is one unusual Western. It wasn‚(TM)t quite able to deliver on the promise of all this potentially great material with its story of a town being taken over by a villainous miner who is opposed by the wandering loner Keoma who returns home to his divided family. Instead of high tragedy we end up with a slightly off-beat, technically somewhat adventurous though ultimately mostly routine genre entry.
June 23, 2012
An impressively bewigged Franco Nero plays Keoma, a "half-breed" out to find himself but who also finds the time to "sort out" his three wayward half-brothers and the psychopath they work for. There are plenty of good things about this film: great camerawork with some unusual perspectives, audacious panning and tracking and some charmingly wonky hand-held sequences; locations which are very different from those of your standard spag western; and interesting narrative techniques, particularly the flashbacks that are acted out in the present in front of Keoma's eyes. Old western hands Woody Strode and William Berger bring dignity to the proceedings. Unfortunately the whole shebang is derailed by the endless repetition of possibly the worst theme tune I've ever heard. It really is the most dreadful bobbins and in addition to a caterwauling woman who doesn't hit one note when she can warble 25, I do believe Franco Nero himself joins in with his sub-Leonard Cohen croak. The plot is also so wafer-thin that if you hold it up to the light you can see through it. I really wanted this to be the last great spaghetti western but in truth the genre had had it's day by 1976 and although it's a valiant attempt, Castellari fails to breathe new life into it.
½ April 7, 2012
I don't know why this is released under the working title Djano's Great Return other then a cash in. The title character's name is Keoma! Like we need another unofficial Django sequel. Always great Franco Nero returns to the spaghetti western genre in fine form & is even more nihilistic when he was back in the 60s. Keoma is a thing of beauty @ times & as a fan of the genre (& of Nero ) I has a great time w/ it. Although it doesn't always work & the ending sorta leaves a bitter taste in your mouth you can't help be get behind the badassness of it all. No it's not cut from the same fabric as Leone (I would say more from Corbucci) it still stands heads & tales above those pumped out trying to cash in & by 76 the genre had outplayed itself. Exploitation pioneer Enzo Castellari once gain proves that you can get blood from a stone
July 14, 2011
En tiedä että mitä helvettiä toi englanninkielinen lisänimi meinaa, mutta tällä teoksella ei ole mitään tekemistä Djangon kanssa. Hieno italowesterni hyvin rakennetulla tarinalla ja todella kauniilla kuvauksessa varustettuna. Myös musiikki toimii hyvin.
½ June 23, 2011
Franco Nero returns as Keoma, in what is the best of the late spaghetti westerns. Unlike the hundreds of Italian westerns before it, Keoma is much more atmospheric and is laced with gothic tones with obvious inspiration from The Seventh Seal. Like Bergman's masterpiece, Keoma opens with the hero conversing with Death after arriving in a plague stricken town. He then frees a pregnant woman and acts as her protector up until the birth of her child. The cycle of death and new life is a constant theme that runs throughout Keoma. The director, Enzo Castellari, was trying to do something meaningful and poetic in a genera on its last leg.

Not only does Keoma have substance, but also style. It's visually superior to most every Italian western. Castellari did something uncharacteristic of himself in the making of Keoma, he put special attention to the craft of filmmaking. All of his other films look poorly produced and sloppy. Here, the cinematography is of Leone quality, but full of atmosphere. The slow motion gun battles are gorgeous enough to impress Peckinpah. The only thing that doesn't work with Keoma is the soundtrack. The suck factor goes up when that chick's voice kicks in.

The life and death symbolism and gothic style make Keoma a great film for repeat viewings. The more you watch, the more you pick up. If I ever made a western, it would look and feel like Keoma.
½ April 29, 2011
A brilliantly directed late-period Spaghetti revenge flick. Castellari's use of light and shade is great, the family drama is well-played, and the use of flashbacks is inventive and original.

The soundtrack, though, is awful and really badly used. Its such a shame - this would easily be a five-star Western otherwise, but for pseudo-folk (it sounds like someone doing a bad Buffy St-Marie impression) breaking out every five minutes and telling us exactly what our hero is thinking.

A real shame, because this is a brilliant film otherwise, and its still recommended.
April 23, 2011
Despite having the grit and general tone that goes hand in hand with most Spaghetti Westerns, Nero's acting, an overall disjointed style of editing, coupled with a lackluster story and quite possibly the worst musical score that I have ever seen accompanying a film (wherein male and female singers constantly repeat the main character's name over and over again while describing, in the most mundane and uncreative manner, exactly what just happened in the film), let alone a Western, mar Keoma and make it an overall forgettable experience.