Kes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kes Reviews

March 28, 2015
I can't believe I was a teenager when I last watched this - I still squirmed in the same places. Brilliant.
David Bradley from Kes joined Equity as Dai Bradley - he is not the same David Bradley who played Argus Filch in Harry Potter as shown in cast list on Rotten Tomatoes
December 20, 2014
A truly endearing film by Ken Loach. The story is heartbreakingly beautiful and serves as a realistic window into the culture of northern England. Beautifully made film and one of my personal favorites.
½ September 22, 2014
Not only Kes is buried at the end, but also Casper's hope and childhood. Few English directors are aware of the grassroots' life like Ken Loach, who adopts an endearing yet ruthless narrative to portray the real ordinary British's circumstances.
½ September 15, 2014
I have seen many a good film, and many a bad, but Kes...Kes is one of those special films. The phrase "I would rather watch paint dry" is thrown around often. But clearly nobody actually means it: just having something moving on a screen is more entertaining than watching a wall with paint dry on it. But in this case, i really, truly, literally would have been more entertained watching a paint covered wall dry out. There wouldn't even necessarily need to be paint on it for god's sake!
I really can not express my complete loathing for this film; the way I wince at the thought of re-watching it, or my depression at reflecting on how i missed out on nearly 2 hours of perfectly good paint watching time.
The acting coupled with accents (this coming from a british person) is reminiscent of watching a nursery play. Where someones irritating car alarm goes off during. The characters were totally unlikeable. In fact, they bored me near to actual tears, and I could not have cared less if one of the cardboard cut-outs of real people had died in the film. I can not see why this film is so highly rated! There are a few things I hate - such as racists, paedophiles, etc.- and Kes is one of them (though not nearly to the same degree) and it is for this reason that i believe Kes, to be, without a shadow of the doubt, the worst film I and my peers, have ever had the misfortune of watching! What you need before Kes, is to slip in to something more comfortable, like, say, a COMA.
Or at least, that's what I got from it. But if your interested, knock yourself out! Literally.
September 7, 2014
The most pissed off film about a boy and his bird and the working-class town they inhabit.
August 3, 2014
Adelantada a su tiempo, este trabajo representa una nueva forma de abordar los problemas humanos de la mano del cine.
½ June 10, 2014
Kes is beautiful, sad and powerful social realism classic family drama film. Deserved for being one of the best British film ever made.
June 2, 2014
A beautiful tender coming of age drama that is uncompromisingly honest. The young actor's acting is utterly real (not to mention the supporting cast as well). The film is both funny and tragic. Countless truthful moments that capture the painfulness of growing up perfectly. The bird represents the last of his childhood (and magic). In the end, when he's asks about his future occupation, it's a sign that he'll have to let go of that childhood innocence. The bird is a farewell to a youthful aspiration that often gets crushed once we get older. The soccer sequence is hysterical. Also, the scene where Casper explains what the bird means to him is so moving. Not to mention the touching scene where his teacher visits him and sees the bird for himself. The film totally touched me. Heartbreaking.
½ May 19, 2014
Gritty, contrast from the world if today was interesting. Depressing.
December 16, 2013
Billy Casper Has Come Unstuck in Grime--Gritty slice-of-life drama, powerfully handled by all concerned!!
½ November 9, 2013
Loach's second film is a very important and strikingly authentic look at the life of a working class boy with a powerful and tragic message. The bird is a clever symbol for the hope that Billy, with no real opportunities or guidance will one day develop and like the kestrel, learn to fly against the wind.
August 17, 2013
KES. Plain and simple: A MASTERPIECE.
A powerful, memorable work of art. One that might even change your life.
The film is not perfect in every detail, yet it's a masterpiece nonetheless. It's authentic. It's unpredictable. It's completely unsentimental, yet very moving. It evokes empathy. It leaves you feeling more alive. KES is an unforgettable cinematic experience because it does what very few films even try to do: it gives you a glimpse of the soul, the incorruptible SOUL.
½ August 14, 2013
The film is a great example of good use of young actors and a showcase for the greatly underused David Bradley. It doesn't rely on anything too stereotypical to wean drama from; in fact, before the kestrel of the title of the novel is introduced, you wouldn't even know it would be about that at all. There are some interesting aspects to Casper's life and community that aren't expanded on here, but then again, that's not the point of the novel nor the film: it's this neglected boy's tale of a friend in the form of a bird; an outlet and an escape from the world. And for that reason, it works.
August 4, 2013
Add a Review (Optional)
July 14, 2013
I made the mistake of not getting the subtitles for the copy I got. I didn't understand almost half the dialogue. But even then, I was still swept up by this heartbreaking story of a working class, often bullied teenage boy who finds solace and happiness in falconry with his pet kestrel. I've seen a couple of his later works but I found him to be just a smidgen preachy with his works but this one, though it depicts the British working class, has a very lyrical quality to it. It also features a VERY impressive performance by the lead actor, David Bradley (another David Bradley).
June 17, 2013
Despite its reputation as a British classic, Kes was not at all successful in America, where it was a commercial disaster. The wonderfully naturalistic dialogue, delivered in a broad Barnsley dialect, probably made the film rather inaccessible to our friends across the Atlantic. Kes is quite bleak and depressing in tone, showing a society that wallows in cultural and social deprivation, and characters who drink/steal/abuse to fill the void in their lives. The kestrel represents freedom, a chance for Billy to fly above the negative influences all around him, but it is a sense of freedom doomed as completely and inevitably as Billy himself is doomed to a bleak future. Loach relieves the gloomy atmosphere with occasional flashes of humour, one being a rudely suggestive song performed by a 'turn' in a working men's club; the other being a fabulous school football lesson in which the teacher (Brian Glover) dreams of himself as Bobby Charlton and provides hilarious commentary of the match while he runs rings around his pupils. Away from the comedy, Kes is extremely powerful and gritty viewing, strongly performed by its cast of 'real' actors and believable non-professionals. As an example of Yorkshire-based cinema, Kes may well stake a valid claim to be the best of the lot. Harsh, depressing, gritty, yes... but above all excellent.
½ May 23, 2013
No signs of age on this at all. Just as poignant as it was when it first came out.
½ May 8, 2013
Giving this film the happy ending that is expected; Wouldn't of made the impact that it has. I also read that the canings were real and the boys were payed an extra 50p for their trouble!