Now You Know Reviews

• Jul 10, 2012

If this film is guilty of anything, it's trying to please too many groups of people. It has a little bit of everything so just about everybody will find something to enjoy out of this. For me, the lawnmower and the dog scene was the best. For others, it may be one of the romantic scenes. Or maybe the breaking into peoples' homes. It really has something for almost everybody.

• Jim H Super Reviewer
    Jun 08, 2012

In the wake of his wedding's cancellation a man tries to figure out what went wrong. Writer, director, and co-star Jeff Anderson is known for his work in Kevin Smith's films as Randall, and Anderson's friend, Smith, makes a cameo appearance in Now You Know. Their work is remarkably similar, focusing on aimless Jersey men and their woman troubles. But whereas Smith's dialogue is smart, sharp, witty, and rolls off the tongue with an ease that few writers can master, Anderson's dialogue seems more forced, and the jokes seem deliberately set up, as though the characters know the punchline and are working to get there. Where Anderson succeeds Smith is his direction. Anderson's shots are well-framed, and he even moves the camera, something Smith rarely resorts to. Now You Know is incredibly predictable. We know the resolution of the film's conflict early in the second act, and the reveal of the father of Marty's child is telegraphed almost from the beginning of the film. There are a few clever reveals, like why Gil and Biscuit break into houses and re-arrange the furniture, but mostly, one knows what's going to happen long before the characters do. That said, there are moments that resonated with me, including the feeling of a relationship ending for no good reason and Gil's theory that married men aren't missing out on anything because the only reason to go out is to find the one they're going to marry. Overall, Now You Know is similar to Smith's oeuvre, which is fine company to be in.

• Mar 16, 2012

jeff anderson show he can write

jeff anderson show he can write

• Feb 27, 2012

Not too bad. I expected a lot more witty dialogue and cut-downs. What I got was a lot of two people talking to their separate groups of friends about what's wrong with their relationship instead of just talking to each other and working it out. It's not bad that the movie wasn't a sequel to Clerks, but it could have found some middleground between sardonic humor and 1 hour & 40 minutes of beating around the bush. I understand it happens in real life, but I don't need to see it.

• Jan 10, 2012

funny, but jeff anderson fails to write a lot of laugh out loud moments into the script. a lot of waiting around for funny stuff to happen

• Dec 17, 2011

It's like a Kevin Smith movie you can take seriously (like Jersey Girl or Chasing Amy, but with "Randal Graves" directing and co-starring). Definitely worth watching.

• Jun 04, 2011

Now you know is Clerks' star Jeff Anderson's directorial and writing debut. And it's not what you'd expect from Mr. Randall Graves. Essentially Anderson's character in the movie is the same character he plays in Clerks. The movie has a wonderful story. An unpredictable plot and is overall a very very enjoyable film. 4.5/5

• Mar 27, 2011

I watched 40 mins of this before fast forwarding it to try and something slightly interesting or humorous - needless to say I found neither,,, Waste of time, stupid etc etc don't bother...

• Mar 15, 2011

Not that bad, but the story didn't really go anywhere. Anyway, this could make a really good buddy comedy. Jeremy Sisto was so dreamy back in the day.

• Mar 10, 2011

Lots of silly humour, but anyone who has ever been dumped without explanation will be able to relate.