Khadak (2007)

TOMATOMETER

AUDIENCE SCORE

Critic Consensus: No consensus yet.

Khadak Photos

Movie Info

Set in the frozen steppes of Mongolia, "Khadak" tells the epic story of Bagi, a young nomad confronted with his destiny after animals fall victim to a plague which threatens to eradicate nomadism.
Rating:

Bat-Erdene Damdinsuren
as Zolzaya's Brother
Show More Cast

Critic Reviews for Khadak

All Critics (16) | Top Critics (11)

There's an eerie, magical quality to the political and symbolist fable embedded in Khadak, a visually beautiful film about disappearing nomadic culture on the harsh steppes of Mongolia.

Full Review… | November 2, 2007
Seattle Times
Top Critic

It gorgeously recalls Fellini and Koyaanisqatsi and hauntingly pits ancient tradition against science, oppression and industrial rot.

Full Review… | October 18, 2007
Chicago Tribune
Top Critic

Khadak is beautifully filmed and energetically acted, with standout performances by newcomer Tsetsegee Byamba as Zolzaya and Batzu Khayankhyarvaa as Bagi.

Full Review… | October 12, 2007
New York Post
Top Critic

Even when their picture wanders from any reasonable path, it's never less than stunning to look at.

Full Review… | October 12, 2007
New York Daily News
Top Critic

A marvelously acted, brave and absorbing film. Catch it whenever and wherever you can.

Full Review… | October 11, 2007
Salon.com
Top Critic

Khadak makes the most of Mongolia's vast horizons and swallowing space, the grandeur of emptiness, together with precisely composed pictures, making the whole thing seem like one of Bagi's visions.

October 11, 2007
Newsday

Audience Reviews for Khadak

I REALLY wanted to like this, however, it is the slowest-moving film I have ever seen, and there is almost zero dialogue. I found it impossible to understand the story-line, such as it was. Naturally, the critics here all would love this, but I doubt many viewers will have this much patience. Looking forward to another film from Mongolia....

Frances Ann Ade
Frances Ann Ade

(****): Thumbs Up A beautiful and almost hypnotic minimalist film. This would make a great half of a double feature with the film Tulpan (2009).

TTT C
TTT C

very very beautiful. slow-moving and not a lot of special effects; a good story and well-presented. I would like to see this movie again.

Violet Hopper
Violet Hopper

Khadak Quotes

There are no approved quotes yet for this movie.

Discussion Forum

Discuss Khadak on our Movie forum!

News & Features