Khartoum - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Khartoum Reviews

March 9, 2012
Very good British film about an uprising in the Sudan and a British officer who decides, against the wishes of the PM, to stay and defend Khartoum.
February 12, 2012
Charlton Heston was very good as Chinese Gordon and Laurence Olivier was also good but these men are two of the best actors of their time so no surprise there. The surprise was the pacing of the film, which was fast at times and moderate at others so it did not drag at all. Great plot line and twists and amazing cinematography. Great retelling of colonialism and scramble for Africa and excellent ending.
½ May 8, 2011
a telling story of islamic justice. granted, the english should not have been there in the first place, but the 100% slaughter of the garrison says it all.
March 31, 2011
a must see movie, my rating for the movie is exllent not because of it is based on a true storey or the performance of the actors or the colors etc. but because it capture real moment that we dont have any idea how it occured, it justfy many factors that affected our lives, and when you watch it you may appreciate and understand how our ancsestors manage to protect the land and stand strong infront of envadors that has the upper hand on them, then although they were less in the numbers and the equipment...but they knew how to negociate and talk logic and be rational
½ February 8, 2011
Charlton Heston plays Jesus Christ (or at least some madman to whom close comparisons can be made), trying to save the Egyptians from the local mad git, who is hell bent on killing them because they're not on their knees bowing at him.

It's slightly monotonous, but slightly entertaining also, and mercifully short for this kind of epic.
bbcfloridabound
January 28, 2011
Anytime you watch a Charlton Heston Movie you know 2 things, Its going to be outstanding and it's going to be long, and this movie is both. Also Laurence Olivier is in this and it makes it a awesome move with international flair. Seldom do we see a film made with this magnitude today, to be filmed on location. The movie is about the famous British General Charles Gordon who will not leave the Egyptians' behind in Khartoum and without the help of the British Government he vow's to stay in Khartoum until the bitter end. General Gordon was a God fearing Christian, which the movie brought out many times, and the foe was a Muslim, in today's pansy world when it comes to American Television you will not get any air play on this one as it might be insulting to some. So if you want to see it either special order or Netflix while they still have it. And it gets 5 stars in my review.
January 22, 2011
Still in 1966 the view upon historic events is of course messed up. The british saw it as only natural to divide and conquer Africa as they pleased and in this movie, only to make things more confusing, the british help out their alley egypt to their part of the prey of Africa (Sudan). Just a few years efter this, Egypt itself gets colonized by the very Great Britain.

So there is this agyptian outpost in Sudan called Khartoum which is filled with egyptians and some europeans. The rest of the land around is in the hands of upcoming revelutionary muslim star Mahdi. The british won't really have anything with this affair to do with those odds and sends General Gordon to the site to supervise the evacuation of important people, but he's got his own ideas and stays and defend the city in the upcoming attack.

Gordon played by american superstar Heston actually makes a more low key performance than usual and even though the movie is a bit "talkie" and of course historically incorrect it is based upon real events and is really interesting .Actions scenes in the end of the movie is quite good with a big budget for it's time.
April 24, 2010
i thought it was going to be a bit dull but found it to be very watchable. it was all centered around charlton heston who played his part well. the historical aspect also interested me greatly as it's a time and place i knew nothing of. i could easily watch it again!
April 24, 2010
wow umn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch......its got a good cast of actors/actressess thorughout this movie,.....i think that alexandra knox, charlton heston, johnny sekka, ralph richardson, michael horden, laurence olivier, richard johnson play good roles/parts thorughout this movie......i think that richard johnson/laurence olivier were good throughout this movie.....i think that the director of this drama/classics movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie.......i think that charlton heston was great throughout this movie....i think that this is a great classics movie 2 watch with a good cast throughout this movie
½ January 25, 2010
Shows the dangers, then as now, of fighting an enemy in a hostile environment which they know well. Although Gordon was the true hero of the film you could see that Gladstone was in an impossible situation. If he helped Gordon he would be accused of imperialism. If he did not he would be letting a massacre of innocent people happen.
½ January 15, 2010
Worth a watch to know more about one of the earliest Jihadi movements and the personalities of Gladstone, Kitchener and Gordon Brown..
½ November 29, 2009
a typically fun Heston epic, although the way he so rapidly ascends to glory is a bit incongruous, just like with El Cid
September 7, 2009
September 6, 2009
A bit too long but the film has the quality of those big productions of the 60ies (vibrant colours, nice location, solid actors and artistic direction).
August 13, 2009
A big movie that doesn't short on drama, action, and British military incompetence in the late 1800's.
A true historical account of Khartoum in the Sudan, there was no holding back of the budget on this grand display of Charlton Heston and Laurence Olivier. Wow, is Laurence Olivier tan.
The sweeping landscapes, cast of thousands, and dramatic sequences make this a very good historical and theatrical watch.
The drama is a little over the top sometimes but everything else is strong.
½ August 1, 2009
Recommend as this is a precursor to the religious wars of today, what goes around comes around. History now repeating itself after mankind not having learned it's lesson. Great story of a man who lived his faith & laid his life down in aid of his arab brothers & sisters in the face of greedy & selfish pols & crazy fanatics. Sir Larry gives a credible performance as the Mahdi & the rest a stellar cast w/Heston as our hero, guess no English actor up to the task!
½ July 26, 2009
Some people might say it's Heston w/a bad accent and Olivier in black face. they're right but this is tsill one of my favorites. "Oh Beloveds! Did I not promise thee a miracle?"
July 25, 2009
A great historical movie, well shot and well acted for the most part although I wonder what got the producers to cast Charlton Heston as 'Chinese Gordon'. Personally I would have cast Gregory Peck or Richard Burton in that role but that's just me. Laurence Olivier gives a great performance as Madhi, but rarely does Olivier give a bad performance. Great Musical Score by Frank Cordell. Definately a film for historical people and film fans.
April 14, 2009
This is a chunk of history I knew nothing about, so was interested to learn more. Of course, as it's from Hollywood, I don't know if it's accurate or not. The great Olivier was (I'm sure unintentionally) funny in dark face paint pretending to be a middle-eastern Muslim Messiah leader. I kept wondering if there really were NO middle eastern actors in Hollywood in the 60's? Why all the Brits in face paint? Anyway, other than that, it was a well-made and interesting movie. Battle scenes quite tame compared to what you see now, but keep in mind they could not rely on digital magic to create any effects.