Kick-Ass 2 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kick-Ass 2 Reviews

½ July 9, 2016
Surprisingly dumb and unfunny, Kick-Ass 2 might be a sequel that a lot of people wanted, but without Matthew Vaughn directing, well then you might as well stay home and watch the first Kick-Ass again.

Grade: D
July 1, 2016
Decent sequel that does not quite reach the level of fun the original film did. It's particularly disturbing how similar Hit-Girls storyline is to the Carrie sequel, which also starred Moretz. Some of the new characters are fun and show promise, but we don't get to know them very well. The action is pretty gory again but not quite as spectacular as in part one. Entertaining but not quite the riot one could have hoped for.
June 21, 2016
Enjoyable, and solid sequel to Kick-Ass, but it does feel more like "Kick-ass 1.5" than the second in the series. The world has been opened up for further exploration, but it hasn't been properly exploited I feel. What you really have is just more violence, more vulgarity, more style but little of the brains or substance that it promises. The first one was fun, alot of its violence was within reason (probably not, but at least it had a sense of timing and wit), and had a satirical edge and was generally welcoming various ideas and questions to be posed and discussed. This film is just too simplistic in its execution.
½ June 6, 2016
No exaggeration, this was wayyy better than Iron Man 3 or The Dark Knight Rises. Filled with bloody action, great acting, and well done story plot. Realistic as a super hero could possibly get. I recommend this film to anyone who wants to see some action this year. Seriously loved it! Not sure why the critics rated this a 29%, worth watching
½ May 28, 2016
There's no comedy to be found or a story, at-least the first one had a bit comedy despite it not having a good story.
May 21, 2016
Some plot points were obviously foreshadowed, but I took it as satire to generic superhero flicks. The humor kept the laughing and the actions kept me on the edge of my seat. Oh, and whoever thought of Remembering Tommy is a genius, now every time I Look at my Blu-rays and see Kick-Ass 2, I die laughing. I'm not a huge fan of the ending, but enjoyed this film.
May 16, 2016
One of the worst movies I've ever seen. Terrible writing, terrible story line just terrible
½ May 3, 2016
Kick-Ass 2

Kick-Ass 2 is a disappointing and uninspired sequel that offers nothing new to the genre which is surprising due to the fact that it's predecessor focused on just that.

Rating: 6.8 (C+)
½ April 30, 2016
Wasn't as good as the original and the movie had a few major flaws (One of them being the Union J product placement) but I enjoyed the film nonetheless.
½ April 27, 2016
The original Kick-Ass was a unique twist on superheroes and made a huge splash. Because of this Kick-Ass 2 has a lot to live up to. Quite frankly, it cannot and does not live up to it. The realism factor is still present, but a second go around for something that is already unique is not unique.
April 21, 2016
Not as good as the original, maybe this movie tries a little bit too hard to be realistic, which deviates from what this movie's good in.
½ April 21, 2016
Kick-Ass 2 is just as kick-ass as the first movie.
½ March 31, 2016
Charmless, whit less, devoid of imagination story and any sort of depth or even pop corn ... vapid, plastic and a little bit nasty tasting
March 29, 2016
I remember the first Kick-Ass movie came pretty much out of left-field, helped somewhat by the (numerous) horrified media stories surrounding the foul-mouted 10 year old Hit-Girl (Chloe Moretz). I also remember that, censorship aside, it was actually a pretty decent movie.

The second movie? Not as good. Still brutally violent, with Jim Carrey even going so far as to later distance himself from it following (yet another) gun incident in the States, this never seems to hit the highs of the first; never seems to take off.

Which is somewhat ironic, since one of the sub-plots in this is about escalation, while another is about how Kick-Ass has inspired others to become their own super-heroes.
½ March 28, 2016
I had very high expectations for this film. The first one was fantastic, so you'd figure this one would try to top that. Think again. This movie takes everything good about the first movie, and completely ignores it. It lacks emotion, dedication, and heart. The way the movie unfolds is just infuriating. Sure there's a few laughs along the way, but it just makes you wish it were better. The final show down is ok, but the movie as a whole is a giant disappointment of "Batman & Robin" proportions.
½ March 24, 2016
Double the violence, none of the heart of the original. Just an unpleasant film.
March 22, 2016
Classic movie. Great action and moral concepts put to the audience. Great acting.
½ March 18, 2016
Not as good as the original, but still a lot of fun! I'm extremely saddened by the really low rating here!
½ March 16, 2016
Kick-Ass 2 is a very good movie but it fails to capture the essence of the first film. The first movie was successful for two main reasons. For one, the brutality and in-your-face factor was incredibly high and created a certain "shock and awe" that left a lasting impression on the audience. The second was the film's refreshing take on the superhero concept. Both of these elements were either lost or severely diminished in this sequel. To cover the shock and awe, it just didn't have it. There were nowhere near as many scenes that made your peel away and get engaged at the same time. I think a big reason for this was the diminished role of Hit Girl. That's not to say that Chloe Grace Moretz' character, Mindy Macready, doesn't get appropriate screen time. If anything, the opposite is true. At times it almost felt as though she was the main character and the driving force of the film. The problem is that Mindy Macready, though Moretz is a fantastic young actress, is not refreshing or profane enough to deliver the effect Hit Girl does. As for the superhero perspective, while the first film felt refreshing, this film almost felt "spoofy" at times. In both cases, I think the directorial and screenplay change from the first film are at fault. Jeff Wadlow clearly had a different vision than many fans, including myself. One last negative, I hated the break in continuity from the movies by changing two characters, albeit they are fairly minor. Detective Marcus Williams (the black cop and friend of Big Daddy who becomes Mindy's care-taker at the end of the first film) and Todd (the less-important friend of Dave) are both played by different actors and neither feels right. Overall though, I hope it doesn't sound like I didn't enjoy this film. Moretz was amazing and Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Christopher Mintz-Plasse both do adequate jobs in the more tradition protagonist and antagonist roles, respectively. The action was really cool and the plot had tons of potential and largely lived up to it with the exception of the aforementioned flaws, in my opinion. If you loved the first film, you'll still probably enjoy this one quite a bit. If you found the first movie offensive, that feeling will not change here.