Kick-Ass 2 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kick-Ass 2 Reviews

½ May 3, 2016
Kick-Ass 2

Kick-Ass 2 is a disappointing and uninspired sequel that offers nothing new to the genre which is surprising due to the fact that it's predecessor focused on just that.

Rating: 6.8 (C+)
½ April 30, 2016
Wasn't as good as the original and the movie had a few major flaws (One of them being the Union J product placement) but I enjoyed the film nonetheless.
½ April 27, 2016
The original Kick-Ass was a unique twist on superheroes and made a huge splash. Because of this Kick-Ass 2 has a lot to live up to. Quite frankly, it cannot and does not live up to it. The realism factor is still present, but a second go around for something that is already unique is not unique.
April 21, 2016
Not as good as the original, maybe this movie tries a little bit too hard to be realistic, which deviates from what this movie's good in.
½ April 21, 2016
Kick-Ass 2 is just as kick-ass as the first movie.
½ March 31, 2016
Charmless, whit less, devoid of imagination story and any sort of depth or even pop corn ... vapid, plastic and a little bit nasty tasting
March 29, 2016
I remember the first Kick-Ass movie came pretty much out of left-field, helped somewhat by the (numerous) horrified media stories surrounding the foul-mouted 10 year old Hit-Girl (Chloe Moretz). I also remember that, censorship aside, it was actually a pretty decent movie.

The second movie? Not as good. Still brutally violent, with Jim Carrey even going so far as to later distance himself from it following (yet another) gun incident in the States, this never seems to hit the highs of the first; never seems to take off.

Which is somewhat ironic, since one of the sub-plots in this is about escalation, while another is about how Kick-Ass has inspired others to become their own super-heroes.
½ March 28, 2016
I had very high expectations for this film. The first one was fantastic, so you'd figure this one would try to top that. Think again. This movie takes everything good about the first movie, and completely ignores it. It lacks emotion, dedication, and heart. The way the movie unfolds is just infuriating. Sure there's a few laughs along the way, but it just makes you wish it were better. The final show down is ok, but the movie as a whole is a giant disappointment of "Batman & Robin" proportions.
½ March 24, 2016
Double the violence, none of the heart of the original. Just an unpleasant film.
March 22, 2016
Classic movie. Great action and moral concepts put to the audience. Great acting.
½ March 18, 2016
Not as good as the original, but still a lot of fun! I'm extremely saddened by the really low rating here!
½ March 16, 2016
Kick-Ass 2 is a very good movie but it fails to capture the essence of the first film. The first movie was successful for two main reasons. For one, the brutality and in-your-face factor was incredibly high and created a certain "shock and awe" that left a lasting impression on the audience. The second was the film's refreshing take on the superhero concept. Both of these elements were either lost or severely diminished in this sequel. To cover the shock and awe, it just didn't have it. There were nowhere near as many scenes that made your peel away and get engaged at the same time. I think a big reason for this was the diminished role of Hit Girl. That's not to say that Chloe Grace Moretz' character, Mindy Macready, doesn't get appropriate screen time. If anything, the opposite is true. At times it almost felt as though she was the main character and the driving force of the film. The problem is that Mindy Macready, though Moretz is a fantastic young actress, is not refreshing or profane enough to deliver the effect Hit Girl does. As for the superhero perspective, while the first film felt refreshing, this film almost felt "spoofy" at times. In both cases, I think the directorial and screenplay change from the first film are at fault. Jeff Wadlow clearly had a different vision than many fans, including myself. One last negative, I hated the break in continuity from the movies by changing two characters, albeit they are fairly minor. Detective Marcus Williams (the black cop and friend of Big Daddy who becomes Mindy's care-taker at the end of the first film) and Todd (the less-important friend of Dave) are both played by different actors and neither feels right. Overall though, I hope it doesn't sound like I didn't enjoy this film. Moretz was amazing and Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Christopher Mintz-Plasse both do adequate jobs in the more tradition protagonist and antagonist roles, respectively. The action was really cool and the plot had tons of potential and largely lived up to it with the exception of the aforementioned flaws, in my opinion. If you loved the first film, you'll still probably enjoy this one quite a bit. If you found the first movie offensive, that feeling will not change here.
½ March 10, 2016
I found the first Kick-Ass to be an odd but fun film that deserved its cult classic status so I was really looking forward to its sequel. Alas, what a disappointment this is. From the moment we first hear the name of the villain, it became apparent that the film was simply trying too hard. Director Jeff Wadlow included all the violence and profanity from the first film but forgot to add any of the fun, resulting in a flat affair.

The key problem was how dull it all was, particularly involving the scenes where Mindy attempts to adapt to life in a new school- it all seemed too contrived. And I can't believe I'm saying this but the film misses Nicolas Cage. Jim Carrey has been cast to replace him in that big-name role but bizarrely he's barely in the film. There were just too many characters to keep track of and care about.

While the first Kick Ass was a great antidote to superhero movies, this is nothing more than a terrible parody.
March 8, 2016
The only thing I can say was missing from this sequel was the elements of a comic book, it really didn't have any of its roots from what it originated from. But come on!
This was still pretty awesome, I can say in some doses it was better then the first, but it definitely went over the top with its dark humor. Still funny and "Kick-ass" at the same tie though.
½ March 1, 2016
Though it lacks the visual style and action sequences, that Matthew Vaughn brought to the original, Kick ass two is still a pretty good sequel
February 22, 2016
Everything from the original repeated, but with numerically more mediocre heros and villains. If you loved Kick-Ass, you'll like Kick-Ass 2. If you only liked Kick-Ass, don't waste your time with the sequel.
February 22, 2016
One of my favorite movies ever.
February 21, 2016
It's a OK sequel and it's a little fun but defiantly not better than the first
February 21, 2016
There's nothing in this movie I didn't like. All of the actor's are amazing. I felt that through the comedy there still was a touching story. Yes even through the foul language and gore. Sure it's an unpopular opinion but I loved it. Better than the first and really think it's underrated.