Kicking It - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kicking It Reviews

December 16, 2012
Awesome, heartfelt & very touching.
September 10, 2011
Interesting and amazing the impact this has on the players. never knew this existed. pretty cool
April 21, 2011
Its a simple narrative and tale, written this way before, but the impact of the lives it effects is tremendous. Its a good story, as we follow a Kenyan team that has never been in any type of World Cup fixture, a US team that has never won a game at the Homeless World Cup, a ex Real Madrid youth player in his 60's, a Russian team with no papers, making them outcasts to Russian standards, and an Irish goalkeeper who is trying to get over his methadone addiction. Who will win the cup? And winning for some countries could change the opinions in some countries for those who are homeless. This is all that these lonely people have to build themselves up, a chance at representing their country, by kicking their drug addictions and kicking their lives into the back of the net.
August 9, 2010
This is an interesting subject for a documentary, and while it isn?t THE MOST interesting thing out there, and starts off terribly meek, it isn?t bad when you get all the way through. It helps if you have any interest in football/soccer. But it becomes more of a character piece very quickly. However, I think this is the case of real life events letting the filmmakers down. There wasn?t too much build up for suspense and the people that you would naturally take more of an interest in don?t factor too much into the end results.

However, this is a well made documentary that does fall into the sports doc category. Colin Farrell narrates and shows his face for the bookends. And I may have missed it, but there didn?t seem to be a message in connection with the FIFA World Cup in South Africa. Still, decent.
½ June 30, 2010
good movie which shows how soccer gives hope to everyone around the world
April 30, 2010
I love the idea of a tournament for homeless people and although this documentary was following the 4th annual Homeless World Cup it was the first I've ever heard of it! [unfortunately] - needless to say, I love soccer, so this documentary was a must watch for me.

The Homeless World Cup is an event made up of 500 players from 48 countries that gives drug addicts, alcoholics and people in war torn countries the opportunity to better themselves and their lives with a sport that brings the world together: football.

This film follows 7 participants: Damien & Simon from Ireland, Alex from Kenya, Najib from Afghanistan, Jesus from Spain, Craig from USA, and Slavan from Russia. It highlights each individual's hardships with having to deal with homelessness or poor living conditions in their own nations and in the meanwhile, trying to finish on top in the competition.

The documentary was well made and very well put together, but I wasn't able to feel connected to the 7 people; between the 7, I felt more drawn into the lives of Jesus, Slavan, Damien & Simon and I also thought that the documentary as a whole, would have made a greater impact on the viewer had it only focused on 4 people.

It's obvious that you're not about to watch an extremely skilled professional athlete compete; however the short 14-minute matches were just as intense and thrilling as a FIFA match. Regardless of who may be on the field, this documentary allows the viewer to put aside any prejudices and open their eyes about people living in poverty.

Taking into consideration that this documentary is linked with the worlds most popular sport, it would have been nice to have the option to watch some of the games in full (perhaps in the bonus features section); if more matches were added, the film as a whole could have been more heart wrenching and I would have felt a bond with one [or more] of the countries represented.

Documentaries have gained more and more attention throughout the years and it has become a good medium to illustrate certain issues around the world. The Homeless World Cup is an interesting way to create awareness of homelessness around the world by connecting it to such a beloved game. More importantly, it gave the participants a positive outlook on life and possibilities for and change in the future.

Lastly, I do have to mention that Colin Farrel only narrated the very beginning and the very end. His narration was somewhat pointless, but I guess his name being attached to this film draws in more people than it would have on its own.
April 13, 2010
where the streets have no name...
½ March 16, 2010
A great example that if given a chance people will show you their good side. What better place to watch some good soccer and help the homeless? The Homeless World Cup. This tourny features 48 nations... Thats massive. Especially when the world has given up on these people.
This is a reality show waiting to happen!
½ February 24, 2010
Another great documentary about the human spirit. I love soccer and this is why. It is a classless sport. Any homeless person can play soccer. This is just a celebration of the world's greatest sport, and an opportunity for the less fortunate to participate.
December 22, 2009
Not a bad doc. Pretty uplifting overall. Great title.
½ December 6, 2009
Decent Doco about the 2006 Homeless world cup, Ireland is featured heavily in there which is I suppose a bonus...
½ September 16, 2009
beautifull depiction of a real world situation, and what hope, trial, team mean to us all
August 29, 2009
Proves that not only is futbol is not only the World's Game and the Beautiful Game, but a Human's Game as well.
July 9, 2009
A poignant look at the world's poverty through the unique soccer tournament. Poor production quality and too many characters takes away from the film's overall pathos, but an interesting documentary nonetheless.
June 25, 2009
A very good documentary about homeless people trying to get their life together and using the homeless soccer world cup as an opportunity to start that change
½ June 23, 2009
The narration during the games is really bad, it tries to take on way too many subjects and in doing so you don't get a lot of depth with any of them. However, the idea itself is good and overall the doc is pretty interesting.
½ May 29, 2009
Reality check for the homeless and addicts. Also enlightens what humanity is all about. Many choices are given and taken.
½ May 20, 2009
A very enjoyable documentary, my only complain is that they did not cover the all the games for each team, making it feels a bit rush. Maybe they should just focus on 2 or 3 teams. Whether you're a football (soccer) fans or not, you can enjoy this film.
½ May 10, 2009
The best kind of documentary tells a story about people that you connect with and root for, and that grabs you emotionally.

This one does all that and more.

It tells the story of the Homeless World Cup, in which 48 nations sent representative teams of people who are homeless to compete in soccer (football). The result is awareness of homelessness across the globe, and it results in tremendous increase in self-confidence in man of the players.

Strongly recommended as a story and as a film.
April 4, 2009
documentary about the homeless world cup. i think the idea of the event is more interesting than the film itself, but if you're a football fan or enjoy the idea of nations coming together for a single cause, it's worth a watch.