Kicking It - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kicking It Reviews

½ January 2, 2009
Football is one of the only sports I can stand to watch for long periods of time so my appreciation for this film is immediately furthered by its subject. The fact that these men are homeless yet get to participate for the Homeless World Cup is really inspiring. Some of the stories are terribly sad, but the good feelings are there too.
December 8, 2008
This doc is interesting but I found myself quickly losing interest in the story and main characters and eventually the documentary all together. I think better editing of this film would have improved this film a great deal. This film does do a good job of showing how many are homeless because of emotional problems or poor coping skills that lead them to be addiction--while others were simply the victims of war, grinding poverty and bad luck. Whatever the reason it is a reminder of the humanity of the people we see on the street, and that homelessness is hardly ever a choice.
October 24, 2008
Football is loved by millions around the world for more than being a sport. I watched how football showed its impact as a way for the downtrodden in society to better themselves, if only for a fleeting time. The personal stories are simultaneously heartwarming and heartwrenching to keep up with through this documentary. This isn't so much of a football movie as it is a movie that just happens to include football as a plot element.
October 13, 2008
The entire concept of a World Cup tournament for homeless people is pretty astounding, but there actually is such a thing. This documentary follows some nations as the players prepare and play for their countries.

Very interesting subject, but unfortunately the realization felt a bit weak. I wanted more coverage from the games themselves, but I'm a football freak so that was expected. I understand that this sort of documentary has to be made a certain way, with a message of hope and such, but at times it was a bit too sappy for me.

The Spain national team was pretty embarrassing, with their 62-year-old defender. I get the gesture, but they were annihilated in every game because they didn't choose the best players. Why go to the World Cup then? Adequate documentary about an interesting subject, and it is good to know the homeless have something to aspire to as well. And there's Colin Farrell too! Always a bonus, to males and females alike. Shut up males, you like him, admit it!
September 22, 2008
this movie is awesome, really well put together. makes you appreciate your life and what you have!
½ September 10, 2008
Noble idea, but too many people, and focus becomes disjointed. The Russian team isn't introduced until about a third of the way into the movie, and then we barely see them again. We see the Americans early, and then it's some time before we find out how they're doing. Fewer subjects would have made for a better movie.
September 7, 2008
Very moving, I loved it!
June 30, 2008
Not worth paying to see it at the movies, but an interesting film that kept my attention.
June 29, 2008
A great idea to start with, but eventually a dreadful documentary - tacky, oversentimental, and for some reason more interested in the results of the Homeless World Cup than in the lives of the homeless people themselves. A letdown.
½ June 27, 2008
wonderful wonderful wonderful
June 26, 2008
Homeless World Cup??? Why would I want to watcht this movie?
June 10, 2008
looks like a great topic to cover in a documentary.
June 6, 2008
i like football and i would like to see the trip these people take to the homeless world cup,