A Kid for Two Farthings - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Kid for Two Farthings Reviews

March 24, 2017
lovely fantasy comedy. a young boy thinks he has a unicorn which will bring luck to his family and loved ones
March 14, 2016
A kind of urban fairy tale, set in the East End's famous Petticoat Lane market. A little corny, but Carol Reed's direction, plus a fine cast and beautiful colour photography make for a charming diversion.
½ March 10, 2016
I remember this film as a child. YEsterday some chap from the BFI was talking about a public vote for films that should be re-released. I thought of this film. I was only slightloy older than the main (child) role when i saw this so it is a bit sketchy for me. I cannot find it online but if you can, you may well enjoy it with your children. I agree that it is typically bourgeois and atypically so for a story set in the East End but hey ho, that was the way of things when Britain used its film industry for propaganda - as the Yanks still do.
November 4, 2015
After "The Third Man" and "Odd Man Out," Carol Reed scales down and focuses on a small boy and a horned goat in poor Post War London. Superbly written and acted, but far too British to get any exposure on this side of the pond. Director Julian Temple used the same camera style in 1986's "Absolute Beginners." A quiet understated masterpiece.
May 23, 2010
delightful story amazing cast.
June 26, 2009
BEAUTIFUL CHARMING FILM ABOUT THE INNOCENCE AND MAGIC OF CHILDHOOD..
May 15, 2009
Lovely film about a boy with an overactive imagination who improves the lives of the people around him: spoiler it's not the unicorn who grants the wishes, it's the boy's influence. Beautiful stuff, just erratic. Not Carol Reed's finest, but a fascinating precursor to his masterpiece: Oliver!
mingsysar
May 15, 2009
March 11, 2009
wow umn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a really good british movie 2 watch..its got a great cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie..i think that celia johnson, diana dors, david kossoff, joe robinson play good parts throughout this movie...its a good 1950's movie..i think that the director of this Drama, Comedy, Kids & Family movie had done a really good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie..its got a great cast..i think that "the unicorn" was really kewl in this movie..its a good movie 2 watch
½ November 6, 2008
I love this movie - the atmosphere of the working class outdoor market street is incredible, and the sounds of the street are audible in many of the interior sequences to keep the mood going. Mr. Kandinsky is a beautiful character. It's an underrated gem.
October 22, 2008
A really good British movie. It was heart-warming and really enjoyable to watch. The "unicorn" was so cute :)
½ December 20, 2007
wierdest fucking film evah but strangly amusing when pished!
½ December 2, 2007
like the young boy who felt 'downhearted' I wasn't sure how I was to feel after this film. It seemed accidentally surreal, a 'cream puff' refusing to marry because he is too busy chasing dreams of being/shagging Mr World ends up wresting Mr Python, Sid James and Diana Dors provide asthetics and a unicorn/goat saves the day, make of this as you will. Generally good but I couldn't watch it again.
October 13, 2007
It makes me proud to be British! Perfect, brings a smile to my face just thinking of it..
September 20, 2007
An okay family film directed by Carol Reed about a boy that believes the goat he bought is a unicorn and can grant wishes. It's a sweet story with a pretty good cast. The boy is a little too overtop ("it's a UUUUNICORN!") but you get used to him. It's a harmless little film that has some nice touches throughout.
½ September 14, 2007
I loved this strange little movie about a boy and his... unicorn. The movie offers very vivid atmosphere and characters and some interesting surprises, including a very young Lou Jacobi! And it wasn't until the end that I caught the connection between the title and the famous Passover song, "One Kid." And Carol Reed proved once again that he was a master at getting great performances out of kids who weren't professional actors.
½ August 3, 2007
an old fashioned heart warming film set in london about poverty, a unicorn and a wrestling match that could improve the fortune of the characters. celia johnson does a good job acting as a distressed wife waiting for her husband to return from south africa. even the child actor in this one, who plays her son keeps you watching by saying various innocent, imaginative thoughts out loud and doing childlike things as chasing animals around fervently. diana dors walks around and looks pretty, but the best acting in this comes from david kossoff whom plays kandinsky the old russian man who always has something to say about life and looks after the people around him with great warmth
½ July 10, 2007
"It's a unicorn, it's a small unicorn!" Carol Reed's neorealist influenced film tells the whimsical tale of a young boy in the slums of London who mistakes a one-horned goat for a unicorn and believes it to possess magical powers to grant the simple wishes of his impoverished and lonely loved ones.
½ June 15, 2007
UTTER SHIT. Watchable for the homoerotic wrestling match if you're so inclined.