Take a Hard Ride (Kid Vengeance) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Take a Hard Ride (Kid Vengeance) Reviews

October 14, 2015
Despite the amazing cast, I wasn't as blown away by this as I expected to be, so I think I may've been in the wrong mood to watch it, but the film just never grabbed me the way I wanted it to.

May warrant the eventual re-watch to confirm or deny that initial rating.
½ November 1, 2014
Decent enough western from a period when the genre was perceived to be dead. Although by no means a youngster, Lee Van Cleef doesn't look like the old man he is here and does a good supporting role as the bounty hunter. For a man who's first job was not acting, Jim Brown is decent too.
½ May 13, 2014
ok late Hollywood western
May 13, 2014
Thankfully silent Jim Kelly, motor-mouthed Fred Williamson, and stoic Jim Brown team up on a cross the border adventure with a pile of loot. All the while, nasty character Lee Van Cleef is looking to get a little loot of his own, in blood. Lots of bad folk, a couple broken heroes, and something precious everybody wants a piece of; the makings of a solid western. Kelly, Williamson, and Brown teamed up in three films, this, Three the Hard Way, and One Down, Two to Go. While the latter was pretty bad, the first two were a lot of fun, and makes me wish they'd teamed up more often. Maybe in a science fiction film? Ah, well.
½ May 13, 2014
"A Wanted Man, That's All That Matters." The spiritual sequel to the blaxploitation Super Group flick Three The Hard Way, this Spaghetti Western reteams genre titans Jim Brown, Fred Williamson, and Jim Kelly against bounty hunter Lee Van Cleef and his army of banditos. The fun resides in the bitter back & forth between man-of-his-word Brown and snake gambler Williamson. Kelly is solid as the half-breed mute with incredible but mysterious Kung Fu skills and Van Cleef is typically reliable, but we're here for the football icons. And the Spaghetti Western sub-genre offers plenty of violent twists and unexpected downbeats. VF.
May 13, 2014
140207: I saved the least entertaining film, on this four film set, for the last. Not really sure why I didn't enjoy it too much. Perhaps it was too forced? Didn't find the characters very appealing, didn't care for them. It wasn't terrible; it just lacked pop for me. Next.
February 16, 2014
Another Movie From the Mill Creek Mean Guns Twenty Pack. Like most movies from Mill Creek the video quality was very poor. But where can you get 20 movies for $5.99. This movie has about as many different names as it has people in the movie. When the spaghetti western genre died in Italy, spaghetti western star Lee Van Cleef went to Israel and made a couple of westerns there, "God's Gun" and "Kid Vengeance", which I just watched. It's a pretty cheap-looking affair - producers Menahem Golan and Yoram Globus were pinching pennies even back then. But despite the low budget, the movie is surprisingly involving. It's surprisingly grim, with Van Cleef making a great villain. Surprisingly, a lot of the grimness comes from Leif Garrett, who you may not believe is quite good as an innocent youth who is so traumatized by the murder of his parents that he starts to hunt down and kill (in sometimes brutal ways) the gang members responsible. Jim Brown is also good in a sympathetic role, one that refreshingly doesn't make his race an issue. Maybe this isn't a fabulous western, but if you are a fan of European westerns, chances are you'll find this kosher western very entertaining. 3 Stars 2-14-14
½ October 23, 2009
It's a blaxploitation western. What else do you need to know? Brown, Williamson, Kelly and Van Cleef. Plus, the story's really pretty good. And it has a score by Jerry Goldsmith. All this and a Brown/Williamson fistfight. Thumbs up.
March 29, 2009
Not great by any shakes, but a fun way to spend an afternoon. The NY Times review was on the money in its description. Goldsmith's score is one of the best ever written.
November 13, 2008
The Pike-Tyree fight makes no sense. Overall, this is probably one of the worst westerns I've ever seen. Lee Van Cleef embarassed himself.
September 17, 2008
a classic Hollywood western with non stop action. starring Jim Brown,Fred Williamson and Jim Kelly. they are riders along with Lee Van Cleef and Catherine Spaak on their quest for Mexican gold. Not bad for a western and one of the best to of come out in the 1970s. released in 1975.
½ March 28, 2008
Take a look at the cast in this - I knew nothing of this movie and grabbed it in a bargain bin strickly on the strength of who was in it. This flick is a cool little western with Van Cleef and J Brown delivering great performances but this is clearly Williamson's show here - which is strange for a western. I consider Fred more at home on say the mean streets of 70's NYC or Detroit but here he kicks SO MUCH ASS - THE MAN IS SO Fkn cool and slick. Just awesome. Watch Fred's bit with the snake during a card game. His comment to Brown near the end "i can't be good at EVERYTHING Pike!" Haha classic!! Anyhow, ramble over - this is a great western. Totally recommended. Only weakness is Kelly who i found kind of lame (kung fu fights in a western?!?!) Oh and the woman in this(Catherine Spaak) SHOULD HAVE BEEN NAKED!!
½ March 12, 2008
I enjoyed this more on a 2nd viewing. Jim Brown must deliver a payroll he kept his promise about while trying to avoid the vultures. A cool combination on western and blaxploiation
December 31, 2007
Has the makings of a minor classic at first, but soon winds down into a comic book movie, constantly wheezing ahead to keep the slim story afloat. Good actors and cool characterizations can't do much with this material.
November 7, 2007
A routine western. There's nothing routine about this cast though.
½ October 19, 2007
Blaxsploitation Spaghett Western with an ugly Lee Van Cleef. Not many people like it, but it's pretty boss. Tits cast, and direction by Margheriti, regardless.
August 22, 2007