Kidnapped - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kidnapped Reviews

½ December 4, 2016
Intense and tetrical, can´t get up of your seat and with an interesting final.
October 13, 2016
Art house meets snuff film. Given how relentlessly bleak and pointless it is it's hard to recommend but it's very well put together and palpably tense.
August 13, 2015
Though technically well made, Kidnapped ultimately fails when it devolves into pure nihilism. [C-]
August 4, 2015
In the end all you will pray for is for the whimpering sounds to stop. Vile.
½ June 13, 2015
Not quite sure what to make of this film. Parts of me loved it, like the ending and how it went against everything that one would see from this type of film on this side of the world, and parts of me didn't really like it that much. The ending is gonna be one of those types of things that you either love or you hate, there's hardly gonna be any in-between. Let's just say that the ending itself is bleak as fuck. I think that, and this is just me speculating, why the film wasn't received as positively by critics as compared to the audience, which was split right down the middle apparently. The ending makes it seem like your time was wasted and nothing came of it. I think that's a valid complaint, in some cases. But it's also far more believable that, you know what, not everyone of these people portrayed in house invasion thrillers are gonna make it out alive. Perhaps this film illustrates that point a little strongly for some people, but I think it works for what it was trying to do. That it does so in an ugly and unflinching fashion just makes it a little more believable in the long run. I think we can all agree that murder is a pretty heinous act. So, while I understand, somewhat, the need to clean it up so people aren't disgusted by what they see on screen, I can also appreciate the need to make it a little more believable in some films. I wouldn't say that this should be widespread, since horror-comedies like to have some entertainingly creative deaths, but I just wish more movies wouldn't shy away from the more unflinching and disturbing deaths for fear they won't get as many people to watch their movie. With that said, I didn't think the film was that good. It's a film that is great in small doses. The initial 'invasion' itself was really well-done as was the ending. Everything in between is a little rough going. Not to mention the fact that I don't think the movie really paced itself all that well, particularly considering the fact that it was so short. I just think that, outside of beginning and ending, the whole thing felt like every house invasion thriller you've ever seen. The acting is fine, nothing to complain about there. The film is also technically well-made. But that can only take you so far if you don't have a compelling story, and parts of it were, but, by and large, I didn't really care about the family and the ordeal they were being put through. There's minimal character work done before they're thrown into the house invasion, so it's really kind of hard to care. I suppose the idea is that you would relate to them based on the fact of what if it happened to you and your family. Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't. This was one of the latter. It's a shame considering that it was ended by such an excellent and inspired moment. Not much else to say about this really, a decent house invasion thriller with a great ending, but one that's not unlike every house invasion thriller you've ever seen for 85% of it. Can't exactly recommend it, but it's perfectly fine.
February 28, 2015
I think it largely had to do with the fact that the copy I had was like dubbed in English so the voices and emotions didn't match and it made it sound horrible and unbelievable. I have seen many home invasion movies like it in fact I'm not 100% sure why they went with the title "Kidnapped." when it wasn't really anything to do with kidnapping. The ending was brutal in the way a horror movie should be, so I have to give it props there. meh.
October 27, 2014
From open to close you won't want to look away, not saying you won't though, this film is grusome. There are some moments spread throughout that are slow and feel like they could be cut down or out even, but when we get to the third act you won't wanna miss a thing.
½ October 8, 2014
Seen this type of movie before, but I still enjoyed this one.
August 29, 2014
A hostage horror film, dubbed, about rather stupid people, meaning the victims. At a crucial point the father has possession of a gun, the thief s unconscious next to him and, incredibly, the father does not shoot him. Earlier, the daughter has a very hard time climbing out of a window. Why? Gotta keep the horror moving, I guess. And, the beginning and the final scene do not seem to be from the same script. At the start the father is rescued and makes a call to his home. His daughter tells him that the mother was shot. The final shot is of the daughter bring disemboweled by the thief the father failed to shoot. I must have missed something.
August 22, 2014
You will enhance your viewing pleasure if you avoid this English dubbed version and see the original Spanish version titled Secuestrados!
½ July 27, 2014
Exceeded my tolerance for people whimpering by 39 minutes.
June 9, 2014
superb- no clue how it got a 33% on here- I don't get it
March 15, 2014
This is an interesting case study in the philosophy of star ratings. It is an entirely unpleasant film, difficult to watch and with no redeeming factors. There are no characters of interest, the plot simply maintains a gradual increase in tension and violence, and there aren't really even any spooks or frights. It indulges in violence and fear for their own sakes, without a resolution or context. It doesn't even create the sense of peril and suspense most horror movies ply. Rather, it's a simple vicarious nightmare, in a more literal sense than usual (most people don't have nightmares about ghosts and monsters, but merciless thieves, I imagine, are a thing people actually fear).

So it's not the sort of experience many people would seek out; it'd be good for teens who want to prove their degree of desensitization to violence, and for adults too jaded by happy endings to buy into cinema emotionally. It is elegantly constructed and gut-punch effective, a really impressive feat of emotional control. I suppose that earns it a high rating, but until the film's grip wears off, you will probably be angry you were made to endure it.
½ January 6, 2014
Unfortunately, the movie that I watched was dubbed. I always have issues with that, so therefore I only made it halfway through...just wasn't worth my time.
½ October 3, 2013
Violent But Riveting Home Invasion Movie with Fatal Doses of Violence and Repulsion--No easy way out!!
½ October 1, 2013
another lame survival horror pic
½ September 26, 2013
A good home invasion thriller marred by the incessant wailing of one of the female protagonists. There's a difference between conveying terror and annoying the hell out of your audience.
½ September 16, 2013
I thrilling and realistic movie that gets harder and harder to take.

Too unnecessarily violent at the end but hooking nonetheless.
½ June 21, 2013
Solid home invasion thriller. Brilliant use of double shots. "While Kidnapped doesn't add anything substantially new to the tradition, Vivas hits his marks with ruthless efficiency." "More a grim, crafty exercise rather than anything deeper, but it still delivers the desired impact."
May 30, 2013
a real thought provoking gut punching film