Kids in the Hall 'Brain Candy' - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kids in the Hall 'Brain Candy' Reviews

April 19, 2012
I dont care to watch.
April 7, 2012
Pretty decent. There were some laugh out loud moments, but nothing really stands out as worthy of highlighting except Mark McKinney's Lorne Michaels impression. "My empire is crumbling!!!"
April 1, 2012
Life is short... Life is shit... And soon it will be over!

It's a great comedy... About depression.

The Story: A group of misfit scientists create a drug that cures depression, but has an odd side effect... It mainly follows one character, Dr. Christopher Cooper, as he becomes famous and exploited because of the drug, and as he tries to expose the drug for what it is, all the while fighting against a greedy drug company... There's a lot of side characters here, and they kind of fade into the background, but at the same time they advance the story and keep it moving swiftly. It's laugh out loud funny, any fan of Kids in the Hall will love this, and even if you're not a fan of the Kids, you're still likely to find something of interest. This film also, while not super stylish, is still a good looking film, it's cinematography and shot selection goes above and beyond the call of duty. With all that said, you might be wondering who these "Kids in the Hall" are. If you don't know, Kids in the Hall is an old Canadian sketch comedy show, and currently a comedy troup doing skits here and there off screen. They're brand of humor often times deals with gay jokes, and off centered, and often times random events that make us laugh. Also, a word of warning, there's no women in this comedy troop, so all the major female leads are the Kids in drag. And there's also a hefty amount of homosexual humor that sometimes crosses the line of decency. So if you're offended easily by homosexuals, and people in drag than you might want to steer clear... And so, all that out of the way, I want to say that though there's nothing wrong with homosexuals, the entire cast is not gay... Only one of them is...

The Cast: Dave Foley, Bruce McCulloch, Kevin McDonald, Mark McKinney, Scott Thompson... Yeah, it's five people with a count of at least 32 characters. That's a lot of characters, I won't go into detail on every character, only the most crucial to the story. But even though I'm keeping the descriptions down this calls for something that might sound a little complex so pay attention... Dave Foley is Marv, he's the corporate lackey and yes man of Don Roritor. Don Roritor is played by Mark McKinney, he's got the second most screen time in the film, he's the head of the greedy drug company that wants to exploit the new drug and Dr. Cooper for all they're worth. Dr. Cooper is played by Kevin McDonald, he's the head of the research team and the man responsible for the wonder drug, his story follows the classic "become famous and forget your friends" scenario. Scott Thompson is a lot of minor characters ranging from the gay man that doesn't know he's gay even though it's painfully obvious, to the kindly old lady who suffers from severe depression. Bruce McCulloch, plays the part of Cisco, the man that knows just how to promote and exploit people and things. He greases the wheels of fame for Dr. Cooper and the marvelous wonder drug called "Gleemonex"... Got all that? I hope so because I don't want to repeat myself. Every Kid plays the part with the perfect amount of goofiness, and make for some of the most loveable characters in the history of cinema.

One to Five Scale: 5

On the surface it doesn't seem to be all that amazing, but if you actually stop to look at it, you'll find a surprisingly intelligent script, and a surprisingly good story, a must see for any fan of the Kids, and any fan of comedy. I know this film is probably pretty tough to come by, but you should stop at nothing to get your hands on it. Yeah, it's that good.

March 10, 2012
A hilarious if severely uneven piece of work, Brain Candy has notable characters and endless quotes worth spouting out to the frat house.
November 22, 2011
Kids in the Hall are spot-on, but if you are interested in them do not start with this film.
½ November 11, 2011
This isn't even anything.
July 8, 2011
Its Kids In The Hall, in movie form, ok.
½ June 21, 2011
The whole thing feels like a rough draft. There are many good ideas and concepts which could have been elaborated on, rather than underplayed and forgotten.
½ May 14, 2011
Sketch comedy turned into a semi-coherent movie at it's best!
April 13, 2011
Super duper fantastic comedy!!!!
½ November 19, 2010
I was never 100% into Kids in the Hall, but I did appreciate some of the jokes in this movie. An ok movie, but more for true fans for Kids in the Hall.
October 23, 2010
just unbelievably funny.
October 16, 2010
ehh.... it aint no American pie: naked mile, dats da trufe.
½ October 7, 2010
This movie is damn near unwatchable. It really takes a hell of a lot of patience to make this one work.
½ September 27, 2010
(**): Thumbs Down

This one was okay. I laughed a bit, but I expected it to be funnier than what it was. Fair at best.
½ September 22, 2010
Pretty clever premise about a mood altering drug Gleemonex that takes the public by storm and its' horrifying side effects. A little slipshod in the presentation but funny and edgy enough to satisfy its' core audience. McKinney does a pretty funny Lorne Michaels impression (before Mike Myers did with Dr. Evil even) as the head of the drug company.
½ September 16, 2010
Between Monty Python (a group of male comedians playing almost all of the characters, women included) and a Coen brothers comedy, but in this case everything that is supposed to be funny, just isn't.
July 27, 2010
The Kids humor seems to work best in skit form. Death Comes to Town was a disappointment, as was this movie. It wasn't devoid of laughs, in fact there are a few very good parts, but it has not aged well at all. Fans of archaic foreign movies like Monty Python may enjoy it.
½ July 5, 2010
You would have to be a fan of the show to actually appreciate this movie a bit. Not the greatest comedy, but enough to make you chukle for an hour and 20 minutes.
½ June 28, 2010
Not as great as the series. Though, that had it's ups and downs. Very funny, often hillarious. Cancer boy must get his own film! Whistle when you're low.