Kiki's Delivery Service - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kiki's Delivery Service Reviews

January 27, 2016
I didn't love Kiki's delivery service as much as I thought I would. Hayao Miyazaki is a great director of animation but I much prefer the more fantastical and bizarre studio Ghibli films, this one seems a little tame in that sense. I still loved it though, particularly little Jiji who stole every scene!
½ January 22, 2016
Its relaxing take on a young witch's life is well-deserved, as Miyazaki focuses more on character-driven, heartwarming storytelling than his usual adventuresome taste.
January 22, 2016
Hayao Miyazaki does a magnificent film yet again. The flow and storyline was absolutely brilliant. There's never a dry moment.
½ January 1, 2016
another piece of my nostalgia this movie is a masterpiece of animation with brilliant writing and great characters not to mention it takes its audience very seriously this is in my opinion the ultimate coming of age story about a young witch finding her place in the world
December 29, 2015
Studio Ghibli have left me with high expectations. This is not their best but it's still quite good, just not as weird as usual.
November 23, 2015
This is one of the most special movies I've ever seen. It is so fun to watch, Phil Hartman is cynical as he is funny, even I enjoyed Kirsten Dunst which I normally hate, the animation is majestic. It's just so heartwarming for my taste
November 11, 2015
Miyazaki delivers another great animated delight for young and old viewers.
September 25, 2015
Vermakelijk Japans en zoals gewoonlijk van Gibli: prachtig!
½ September 9, 2015
Saw this on 9/9/15
Kiki's Delivery service is simple but better than Howl's Moving Castle, but fails to outlive the margins created by Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away. kiki's well intended drama and visual effects keeps it afloat, but it's lifeless ending is still an eye sore.
½ September 2, 2015
Every now and then, you come across a film that stands out as a truly imaginative work of art in its right, and this film is exactly that kind of film. It charts a young girl's journey to through adolescence in a city that seems very strange and unwelcoming at first. Come to think of it, the city in this film represents a lot of things. The city is perhaps the best possible metaphor for adolescence, in that it seems exciting at first, then it smacks you around in every possible way until you learn to overcome it. I also find it rather interesting that the producers opted to incorporate witches into the film. At first that might seem abstract, but it suddenly makes sense when Kiki's magical powers begin to wane. At that point, it becomes very clear that in this film, magic is a metaphor for one's spirit and zest for life. In my view, her loss of magic seems to be a metaphor for the weight of the world crushing her spirit, but when she is given a reason to act, she eventually gains her powers back as her confidence is restored, and this to me is a definitive point in the film because it represents her will overcoming despair, and that made the ending all the more satisfying and meaningful. All the characters in the movie are endearing in their own way, though Kiki herself stands out as a very unique heroine. She's na´ve and inexperienced, but she exudes the kind of independent spirit that I feel Hollywood's contemporary representation of women lacks. Lastly, I should comment on the animation. This film has some of the best animation in movie history, and it has such an exquisite visual quality that it outclasses several Disney films. I'm very confident that this heart-warming and beautifully crafted film is sure to win over viewers of all ages.
August 12, 2015
A beautiful film in every way, about the transition and development of a young witch. One of Miyazaki's best films, even if the animation is dated. And the music!! Magical.
August 3, 2015
Another good Miyazaki film. Very simple liked the witch element to it to where it once again shows Miyazaki's love of things in the sky.
½ July 19, 2015
A light and cutesy little film that will be loved by kids and enjoyed by adults who can accept the film's almost overbearingly benevolent nature.
July 17, 2015
A slice of life anime that has an irresistible warmth, riveting drama and exquisite animation. Only problem is the English dub sounds like most characters are speaking through a fan.Other than that its a total atmospheric feel good movie
½ July 3, 2015
An uplifting story of innocence, kindness and stamina through the eyes of a charming young girl.
June 28, 2015
One of the best movies I have ever seen. Miyazaki is a genius.
½ June 22, 2015
Love it! First Miyazaki movie I ever saw, and I remember seeing it on TV when I was about 4 years old. As like all other Miyazaki films, it is highly creative and provocative. Needs to be watched more than once, and is quite an adventure. Miyazaki is certainly Japan's Walt Disney!
½ June 14, 2015
9 out of 10:

Beautiful animation (as always), an interesting story, and heartwarming.
May 8, 2015
The famous director Miyazaki goes for a more realistic approach in this animated delight, throwing a young witch into an urban enviorment where she struggles with society as well has herself. This animated piece might not seem as spectacular as the rest of Miyazaki's works and that's probably true, yet there is a lot to be found in simple and elegant plots like these.
½ April 20, 2015
As a Hayao Miyazaki fan, this is one of the best Studio Ghibli movies so far. Jiji is SO cute :3