Kill Bill: Volume 1 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kill Bill: Volume 1 Reviews

½ June 26, 2017
I'm in love with this ridiculously amazing film.
½ June 26, 2017
Yes, there isn't much other than a top-drawer soundtrack and a catalogue of brilliantly choreographed action sequences, but then, what else do we need?
June 17, 2017
This movie was PRETTY AWESOME !!!
June 6, 2017
A very good film, excellent story and the music is really good too
May 23, 2017
Amazing, my favourite Quentin Tarantino movie ever.
May 18, 2017
One of the best brutal action films I have ever seen and a kick ass performance from Uma!!!
May 17, 2017
Kill Bill is an epic film that is split into two volumes, though one story, the two volumes cannot be more different in it's execution. Kill Bill, when I first watched it as a whole, was definitely entertaining but as time went on I have watched Tarantino's films over and over again, I started to lose that feeling that I had with this film and changed my perception of it. Kill Bill may be epic but it lacks something that keeps it from being his best work.

Kill Bill: Volume 1 is written by Quentin Tarantino and what he has written here is simply a revenge-action story. This approach is not a problem for me because it allows me to digest it simply and avoid ambiguity in it's storytelling. Jackie Brown was an example of Tarantino taking a conventional 3 act structure and making it his own. Kill Bill: Vol 1 follows that approach but making it much more epic and somewhat adventurous. The thing about Tarantino's writing here is that he has written something that is much more mainstream friendly than compared to his previous work, which in a way is great because I think that's what he really wants, is to exploit these dying genres and styles to his films for the mainstream audience. An area where I did not fully understand in Tarantino's decision is to include a full backstory of one O-Ren Ishii, though executed with such style and passion, as this villain doesn't prove to be more important than the others and because I have seen the next volume it makes this decision be more of a question mark as that volume focuses more of the backstory of The Bride. Tarantino has written a protagonist that we know very little about, yet we enjoy seeing her kick-ass and reaching closer to her goal. The film is full of dialogue, though not as punchy and indulgent as his previous films as the dialogue here is more reliant on it's attitude and delivery. The most enjoyable part of the film is truly the last half of the film where she is up against O-Ren Ishii, and honestly it is so interesting to see these two battle it out because of all the backstory and hype that is being given to us of O-Ren Ishii, it makes her seem like such a challenging opponent.

This is the 4th film by Quentin Tarantino and between the two volumes, I can definitely say that this first volume is much more fun and entertaining to watch. The reason this film is so appealing is that it is enforced with such style mainly influenced by the Asian cinema, particularly in the 70-80s. I don't mind that the film is stylish but it can only do so much. I am more disappointed with the film's screenplay rather than Tarantino's vision and direction. Kill Bill is the mark for Tarantino, when he started paying homages to his personal attachments in films, and he continues to do so in his latter films. The first three of his films has this technique in delaying action and giving us more of the characters in their most normal moments, but Kill Bill strays away from that by upping the violence and action almost to the point unbelievability. Also, the audience must lower their rational thinking when watching this as the film doesn't take itself too seriously, which is a reason why this is viewed over and over again by it's fans.

Kill Bill is also the start of Robert Richardson's collaboration with Tarantino as his cinematographer. Richardson has worked on prestigious films for most of his career, and worked with prestigious directors like Oliver Stone, Martin Scorsese, and Rob Reiner. Out of all of those directors, I think working with Tarantino allows him to experiment more with the camera and create something more unique. Kill Bill may not look like a unique film as the way it looks feels more like something you have seen before and that is the response that it's supposed to get from us. Kill Bill's photography pays tribute to the shots found on Sergio Leone's films, or the cliches that are found in Asian action films. Kill Bill's image looks colorful and at times being so saturated it loses the sense of naturalism.

Kill Bill is also the start of Tarantino relying on a film score in driving the musical side of the film. His previous films were full of soundtracks that go exquisitely well with the scene, it's the same outcome here but just replacing it with a score from RZA. The score for this film isn't cutting edge or the best I have heard from a Tarantino film but it is stylish enough that it goes with the director's vision. There are spots in the film where you can hear musical segments either made by Ennio Morricone or inspired by it.

This film is primarily driven by Uma Thurman's performance as The Bride and she does a great job, though this isn't my favorite role from her. Thurman has to play this character who is clearly emotionally and physically traumatized by Bill's actions but at the same time project a shade of a bad-ass assassin who is fueled by anger. I don't think anybody else could have accomplished this role physically. As the film doesn't take it's self seriously, it does hold Thurman back from showing her range in acting. Lucy Liu as O-Ren Ishii was great; she was fun, exciting, dangerous, and bitchin'. Liu stand out scene was when she was at the table with a group of Japanese gang leaders, as she managed to come off as frightening but at the same time give off a comedic under tone in her acting. The bulk of the villains are not seen until the second volume, so for the most part it pretty much covers both of these actresses.

Kill Bill is definitely an example of style over substance but it does well enough with the former that it doesn't lead off as such a terrible movie. Do I wish the script was better, yeah maybe it needed a bit more, but that isn't enough for me to dislike it. Give it a try but I suggest lowering one's expectations and rationality before heading in.
½ May 15, 2017
A modern, kung fu, hyper violent, stylistic, throwback, revenge story. What's not to love?
May 13, 2017
Mi primera pelicula de Tarantino.
Es una cosa impresionante y las escenas de pelea muy bien hechas!!
RECOMENDADA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
May 10, 2017
"Kill Bill, Volume 1" is original, but gets tiresome quickly.
May 10, 2017
Unusually empty for a Tarantino film as action takes precedence over story here.
May 3, 2017
Not bad. Funny and bloody.
April 22, 2017
1994's Pulp Fiction Is My Seventh Favorite Film Of All Time And 1992's Reservoir Dogs Is One Of My Favorite Films.
April 17, 2017
Great story, great cast
April 17, 2017
one of the best action movies...ever
½ April 14, 2017
Kill bill is an amazing clash of genres with action, drama, western and neo-noir all being thrown together into this instant cult classic. The simple revenge driven story line is compelling and the characters all have imaginative and colorful back stories. The action is phenomenal and beautifully directed by Tarantino, a must see for film enthusiasts.
April 9, 2017
tried to watch this a few times and couldn't, before i was a tarantino fan (after inglorious basterds). after, watched and liked it. what ever happened to uma!
April 5, 2017
One of my favorite Tarantino films for two reasons: visuals and action. Kill Bill: Volume 1 delivers on so many brutal levels. A basic revenge story that is elevated by fantastic action, beautiful cinematography, and a lot of damn blood.
April 2, 2017
The Shaw Brothers Shawscope opening perfectly sets the tone for the type of film you're about to see. A pretty high percentage of Shaw Brothers martial arts films were focused around revenge, often for the killing someone's master, but if this movie can be summed up in one sentence, it's that it's the ultimate revenge film. Volume one of this story is primarily a love letter to Asian genre cinema, kung-fu films, samurai films, and Yakuza films. Still, there are also nods to blaxploitation and spaghetti westerns, as well a little bit of anime. The film begins with a bloody Uma Thurman in a wedding dress being left for dead by her former boss, Bill, and the Deadly Viper Assassination Squad. She awakens years later from a coma sets out on a "roaring rampage of revenge." For audience members who are fans of the genres being honored here, this film is an amazing experience. Tarantino takes these disreputable genres and make the most suped-up version of them ever. Just a quick glance at the supporting cast tells you this film is going to be amazing, featuring genre regulars Sonny Chiba, Gordon Liu, and David Carradine as Bill (although he's only heard and not seen in Vol. 1). You also get some super cool more modern of actors who include Michael Madsen, Vivica A. Fox, Lucy Liu, and Daryl Hannah rounding out the rest of the Deadly Viper Assassination Squad. In this entry i the two part series, Thurman, know only as The Bride, faces down Vivica Fox in the film's opening fight scene, expertly choreographed by Yuen Woo Ping. The film then builds to an amazing climactic battle in the "Showdown at the House of Blue Leaves," where the Bride faces down a ferocious Lucy Liu. That fight sequence makes nods to many classics, ranging from the films of Seijun Suzuki, to Kinji Fukasaku films, to any number of Shaw Brothers films, and in particular a climactic showdown between Thurman and Lui that strongly recalls "Lady Snowblood" in the best sort of way. The Sonny Chiba cameo is a lot of fun, but getting to see Gordon Liu fight is super exciting. For fans of modern extreme Asian cinema, there are some actors from "Ichi the Killer" and Chiaki Kuriyama from the amazing "Battle Royale" in a memorable role as Lucy Lui's schoolgirl dressed bodyguard. There are so many thing sI love about this film. There's the animated sequence that plays out like Tarantino's 10-minute Yazuka film. There's The Bride's plane ride to Tokyo that looks like something straight out of Gerry Anderson film. I also loved Tarantino's use of existing film scores for his film, which is something Hong Kong kung-fu films notoriously did. Tarantino also uses sound so well in all his films, often favoring minimalistic sounds, so that certain elements stand out. And the silence during the "Lady Snowblood" climactic battle is just brilliant, something right out of Sergio Leone. If I have one gripe about this film, it's that I've never been a fan of director of photography Robert Richardson's penchant for his bright key lights right on top of performers heads, giving them a rather bright blown-out look. This seemed particularly noticeable during the "House of Blue Leaves" segment. Still, for a film this enjoyable, that's a minor quibble. Overall, like most Tarantino films, this is not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but that's in large part why I love Tarantino films so much. He's making them for himself and not for a wide audience. If you share his film obsessions, you'll be obsessed with this film.
March 25, 2017
Puntaje Original. 7.5

La destreza de Tarantino es notoria en su cuarto film, transformando una trama cliché en una historia magistral que sólo un genio como Quentin puede lograr, personajes singulares y redondeados eficazmente en una película que hará a la audiencia identificarse con ellos y adentrarse en el largometraje.