Killer Diller - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Killer Diller Reviews

(***): Thumbs Up

Good music and a good performance from Lucas Black. Worth seeking out.
May 13, 2014
Predictable, but heart warming and makes you feel good inside. Stunning performance from both Scott and Black.
May 13, 2014
Great acting and music, Lucas Black gives a terrific performance. It does get a bit tiring after an hour, and there is a predictability to it but overall it?s a rewarding film to watch.
April 8, 2012
This movie was really cool because it was filmed in Fayette while I was at Central Methodist. I was an extra in it along with my best friend, sister, and husband. It was so much fun and William Lee Scott is a super nice guy!
½ October 14, 2010
Very good movie!! Yet another one of those "quirky" movies that I got a kick out of. I like alot of movies that are based around music, but this one also had a very good cast and storyline.
August 29, 2010
The music is amazing. Funny and uplifting. Great cast who really played out their characters well. Lucas Black deserves something for his radiant performance. Loved the Plymouth!
June 5, 2010
Very entertaining. A bit slow in the beginning but funny, endearing, and really great music. I recommend it.
March 21, 2010
Filmed in central Missouri, my home. It was fun to see familiar places, and even faces, like a young Nick Rodriguez!
½ February 28, 2010
A pretty silly send up of a group of young people who are apparently sentenced to an alternative to jail for their minor infractions. The real star of this however is the music. Some strong blues performances supposedly played by these delinquents kept this from being a total waste of time. The story itself seemed to lack focus. Was it supposed to be about Vernon (Lucas Black), an autistic young man, finding his place in the world and gaining his father's approval in the process? Was it about the conflict between two brothers, played by Fred Willard and John Michael Higgins over control of a small Baptist College? What was the deal with setting the story there, anyway? Or, was it supposed to be about a group of troubled teenagers finding redemption in coming together to play the Blues? Any of those various storylines could easily have served as the central theme, but by trying to develop all three, the film felt diluted and incomplete. We never really got a feel for what was driving any of these stories. It could be that this viewer demands too much from a comedy (this is no drama, despite the NF category definition) but I know it is possible to make a funny film that tells a good story as well. If not for the music, this just might have been unwatchable. Keb' Mo' only has a bit part and contributes no music to the film, while Taj Mahal only appears at the beginning and briefly at the end.
December 11, 2009
February 25, 2009
What a delightfiul movie I happened to stumble upon and bring home from the library. This movie was so entertaining and fresh. Loved, loved, loved the music. I was so suprised at William Lee Scott's performance and Fred Willard was just so funny in his weird annoucement voice. A very simple but well played movie.
½ December 17, 2008
So amazingly good. Surprised me SO MUCH I was blown away. haha I really appreciated William Lee Scott's performance in The Butterfly Effect so I went an rented everything I could find with him in it and this is by far my favorite so far. Cheers to these guys for making such an excellent film that tells a touching story and has some really awesome music in it.
½ December 3, 2008
Fred Willard often speaks in announcement mode, but it works here. Good bluesy soundtrack, low-key cast besides Willard, and an engaging but derivative story. Lucas Black's autism portrayal (he was the Sling Blade kid) is oversimplified.
August 29, 2008
Not a well known movie, but it's fun to watch. Good plot and funny script. The music is great!
August 20, 2008
If you are a fan of "music movie's" you will love this
½ August 1, 2008
I'd been wanting to see this film for a while, mostly because I like Lucas Black and Fred Willard both, and the premise seemed ok for a non-thinking movie.

For those of you who have seen Camp (I know there are several on my list), I believe you will like this because the movies share similar themes (loveable misfits band together for support and for a creative outlet).

It's not groundbreaking or uber original, but it's fun and satisfying. A movie to see with friends.
½ July 18, 2008
Wish Ashley Johnson had bigger part, but not bad music movie
½ June 26, 2008
Why when I saw that Fred Willard was in this did I say, "Oh no!" but trying to ignore him, I enjoyed this one. It is a feel good, with bluesy, rocking spirituals. For me it is all about Lucas Black (The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift, Deepwater) and his performance. I liked him in Jarhead, Cold Mountain, All the Pretty Horses, Crazy in Alabama, and Sling Blade. Even though Lucas Black's character is just supporting William Lee Scott's character, he is the savior of this film. But there is not enough focus on him because the focus is on the main character played by William Lee Scott (The Butterfly Effect, Identity, Peal Harbor, Gone in Sixty Seconds, October Sky). I don't necessarily recommend it but it is not too bad if willing to overlook some big holes, there is some good stuff. I think it is a 2-1/2 to 3 star movie but because of Lucas Black I ended up with 3-1/2 stars for Killer Diller.
June 20, 2008
This movie has some nice moments and great music. It's not a bad rendition of the book because it had the sense to know which relationships and situations wouldn't translate on film. Basically, it didn't overreach.
June 9, 2008
Sort of an after school special type of movie, but still very interesting and comedic at times.