Killer Tomatoes Strike Back - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Killer Tomatoes Strike Back Reviews

December 12, 2009
The first one was bad enough
October 17, 2009
It's decent, but the weakest in the series. It has some good laughs, but the breaking of the fourth wall seems like a throwaway this time around. The hero is very repetitive, and nothing really special. Still, the tomatoes are cool, and the movie as a whole holds up pretty well.
July 13, 2009
when good vegetables go bad!!!!
July 6, 2009
o-m-g why was this movie made?
DrLappos
½ June 23, 2009
Absolutely brilliant schlock horror stupidity.......do not take it seriously and you'll love it.
June 19, 2009
Come on, if your watching the 3rd Killer Tomato movie, you know what to expect.. Bad, but in a very entertaining way, thanks mostly to John Astin haming it up as Dr. Gangreen. If your a fan of the series, keep going, this one is just as good as the 1st two.
February 25, 2009
Sure, it's not AS funny as Return Of The Killer Tomatoes (1988), but it's still pretty damn hilarious in its own right. Cmon, a tomato robs a bank. Thats on par with zombies renting Day Of The Dead in "The Dead Next Door." Seriously though. If you like B films, enjoyed Return or Attack of the killer tomatoes and want some good old fashion fun, RENT this movie! Seriously, it's almost as good as "robot monster." Anyways, you have Gomez Adams (John Astin) returning as Prof. Gangreen in this sequel in which the tomatoes have faces! Seriously, go see this film - it took forever to get it on DVD. Perhaps, one day, if we are lucky, they will add a 5th film to the series. And when will the TV show be released on DVD?!
February 9, 2009
What does it say about me that I've wanted to see this movie for about fifteen years? Nothing good, I'm sure. I only knew of it through endless perusings of Leonard Maltin's film guides (it should surprise no one that he thought this movie was awful), but didn't care. I've always loved the original 1978 Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, and a surprise appearance of the first sequel, Return of the Killer Tomatoes, on Comedy Central (surely it was there...) that I taped years and years after that didn't let me down. I'm sure many will be horrified to learn that there are actually four films in the Killer Tomatoes series, and that, in fact, there was an animated kids show as well (which I have seen some episodes of).

Lance Boyle (Rick Rockwell, later the "multi-millionaire" attempting to be married by way of a gameshow) is a "city cop" with a ridiculously childish apartment, filled with toys and garish decoration who is being assigned lame cases to work by his superior, Capt. Wilbur Finletter (J. Stephen "Rock" Peace--a California state Senator [!] who began a crusade against Enron before it was finally crushed publicly, reprising his role from the prior two films). He's assigned to Elvis sightings at the local bowling alley (I'm of the mind Igor was behind them by the end of the film) and the like, but most recently to a double homicide--attributed to tomatoes. Finletter, as veteran of both "tomato wars," is completely willing to believe the round, squishy red fruit* are behind the crimes. Boyle, arrogant and self-centered, sneers at this (even as he is made sick by the crime scene), but takes some renewed interest when renowned 'tomatologist' Kennedi Johnson (Crystal Carson) arrives to proclaim her belief in the tomato theory. Meanwhile, Professor Gangreen (John Astin as before, and again in the sequel after this) is attempting to rule the world through control of the media--he is rising (under disguise) as talk show host "Jeronahew" while kidnapping all media figures he can find. These crimes are uninteresting to Boyle except for their connection to Kennedi, so it will take serious proof before he believes in the red menace. And I don't mean communists.

I'm still sad that spoof movies like this aren't made anymore--not because they were a vital, important part of the film industry (or even all that funny most of the time), but because they had a spirit and sensibility that is sorely lacking from the modern vein of parody. Now it's clumsy, mis-paced and mis-timed references that have nothing to do with humour, even failed humour, as they seem to be more interested in slinging pop culture detritus at the script and screen than anything else, interspersed with cheap "dick and fart" jokes (to quote Kevin Smith, who does a different kind of modern comedy). There's something a little more endearing about these films, even when they fail. This isn't exactly a hilarious movie, more of a consistent bemused smile than anything else. It's not up to snuff with George Clooney-starring (yes, THAT George Clooney) prequel Return of the Killer Tomatoes, whose running gag about budgeting is one of the best I've seen, ever. It's not up to snuff with the old "ZAZ" films (Zucker-Abrahams-Zucker--the team behind Airplane! and Police Squad!, though David Zucker has flushed away comic timing for cheap, lazy, snotty, political polemic). But that doesn't make it bad. The entire series is maligned by this inexplicable group of people that doesn't understand that the tomato attacks are not supposed to be realistic or frightening. The stupidity of them is the entire point, yet some people stubbornly insist that they fail to look "real"--I cannot comprehend what kind of drugs are involved to come to these conclusions.

I hadn't seen this one before, so I was actually almost shocked and definitely somewhat amused by the rather early choice to mock 1980's fashion in a film released the year after the decade ended (and before such trends would have completely died off). Boyle is a complete fashion victim, wearing suitjackets over t-shirts--with tigerprint or similarly gaudy billowing pants below this (his outfits were provided by Life's a Beach). Donahue and Geraldo are obviously pretty openly lampooned, but this was a little more in keeping with existing comedic trends. Rockwell and Carson are actually a continuation of the Return trend of middling to poor actors with good comedic timing being cast in Tomato films, as they are not (like the film itself) laugh-out-loud funny or anything, but there's never a feeling that they missed or wasted an opportunity because they didn't understand it. They act appropriately for the over-the-top kind of characters they were playing, Johnson being livid at the ineptitude and ignorance of the smug Boyle by launching into a rather earnestly angry tirade. I was a bit surprised here, but I guess I shouldn't have been. Peace (who co-wrote all the films), De Bello (who directed AND co-wrote all of them) and Costa "Constantine" Dillon (who also co-wrote all of them) are reliable, and even Rockwell was involved in the original's writing as well as that of this one.

John Astin is always a pleasure, happily hammy in his demonic role that usually ends up boiling down to something mundane--here he wants to rule the world so he can stop waiting in line, getting salad dressing on his salad against his requests and prevent old ladies from holding up the line at buffets (amongst other things). Also returning is the peculiar "FT" puppet (it stands for "Fuzzy Tomato," of course!), who appeared not only in the prequel but again in the cartoon.

Do I recommend this movie? Probably not. It's fun and amusing, but I think the lines it straddles (or re-draws without a ruler, perhaps) are a little too "off" for most people, and few would take any kind of enjoyment from it. They'd have to have a mentality toward it like mine. If you like the first two, give this one a shot, but don't expect the quality of the first two. Money was clearly tighter, though the new face-d tomato puppets are actually pretty great and look decent for what I can only imagine was a hideously small budget.

*OK, the clarification I was given at some point and have stuck by is this: tomatoes are fruit. They are cooked like vegetables, though. But they remain fruit in "taxonomic" terms.
November 23, 2008
Gangerene and Igor are back with more killer tomatoes.
November 9, 2008
a horror movie about tomatos why not
November 2, 2008
Campy horror movies are better than any 3 hour Oscar bait biblical epic.
September 19, 2008
Even Crack Heads Say NO!
½ September 14, 2008
The third entry in the Killer Tomatoes series introduces the killer tomatoes with faces, which I ended up liking a lot more then I thought I would, and 100 times better then the stupid 'Tomato Men' from the second movie.

While the new characters weren't as good as the ones in the second movie, but it was nice to see Finletter back yet again, and FT back as well, even though they were pretty much only for cameos.

This is my second-favorite in the series after the first one, and I loved all the horror movie spoofs in it. Could have been better though, but I still enjoyed it a lot more then I expected to.
½ July 31, 2008
What on earth was this? Why do they even bother to make such movies? People only like them for being the terribly stupid movies they are. And that's not reason enough.
½ July 9, 2008
The wacky fun of the Killer Tomatoes series becomes a bit stale, but is still worth watching especially since the Tomatoes now have faces and personalities
Also, an opening slasher horror homage is laugh out loud funny.
June 28, 2008
Another near 90 minutes of puerile jokes, bad acting and a non existent budget - still makes for a fun watch if you're in the mood, and you can't help liking John Astin's over the top performances as both Prof Gangreen and the chat-show host!
June 17, 2008
this film wasn't quite as good as the first or second movie in the series, but there's still some fun to be had when watching this li'l gem. if nothing else, the ninja tomatoes make this movie a worthwhile watch.
June 9, 2008
Funny! Gotta see this!
May 10, 2008
May 6, 2008
This movie can't match the first 2 movies, but it does have its moments. This one is different because it's more of a serious movie. Now the tomatoes have faces and (to some point) personalities. Come on, you have ninja tomatoes, tomatoes with hokey masks and chain saws, and tomatoes with little cute hats. It's still a comedy, but it's not that overly ridicules humor we came to find in the other movies. A very good film to watch, and one that is even enjoyable for those who didn't like the others.
But if you are looking for an extremely OVERLY Ridiculous movie, look no further than the sequel: Killer Tomatoes Eat France!