Killer: A Journal of Murder - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Killer: A Journal of Murder Reviews

April 13, 2013
Ultimately this was a sad excuse of recounting serial killer Panzram days in prison. It focused more on the relationship with the prison gaurd he befriended which made for a dull story.
½ August 22, 2012
The film was written and directed by Tim Metcalfe, who found a copy of Panzram's journal in a used-book store, read it and spent five years getting it onto the screen. He does not, however, ask the right questions about Lesser, and the film softens some hard edges.
½ March 4, 2012
Showing an unlikely bond between a convict and a prison guard, both Woods and Leonard play their characters very convincingly in this hard-hitting thriller.
April 12, 2011
Killer - A Journal of Murder turns out to be more like Killer - A Journal of Love.

87 minutes of two guys ''bonding.'' I went from expecting James Woods to slice and dice, to thinking - just kiss already.
April 4, 2011
More for fans/admirers/researchers of Charles «Carl» Panzram, however, it does contain a good amount of quotable material. Some critics apparently were expecting some sort of Horror film; it carries on more like a slow-paced, dramatic indictment of the mechanically indifferent U.S. prison system.
July 24, 2010
A prison drama of a cold-blooded murder, based on a true story. Worth watching alone for James Woods excellent performance.
½ July 2, 2010
A strong and entertaining prison movie!
½ April 17, 2010
James woods puts in a really good performance about this true story of a complete nutter.
½ June 26, 2008
Kansas 1929: Henry Lesser (Robert Sean Leonard) starts a new job as a guard at Leavenworth Prison hoping to change the system from the inside, despite being woefully unqualified for the job. Once there he will meet, befriend and be challenged by one man, thief, rapist, serial killer Carl Panzram (James Woods, excellent). Lesser believes he can reform Panzram, but Panzram has other plans. Only one reason to see this, James Woods. Well based on a true story writer/director seems unsure of what he wants to say with this film, though he seems anti-death penalty and blames the "system" for men like Panzram omitting many elements of Panzrams life and crimes that suggest something else, something rooted in the man's soul that was the cause of his evil. I leave it with the mans own words, "In my lifetime I have murdered 21 human beings, I have committed thousands of burglaries, robberies, larcenies, arsons and last but not least I have committed sodomy on more than 1,000 male human beings. For all these things I am not in the least bit sorry." â??Carl Panzram
½ May 31, 2008
James Woods is great in this average thriller.
½ April 7, 2008
Really good movie I love this stile of story telling like the green mile from one old man
And I think that James Woods was rely good
½ November 20, 2007
James Woods is quite good in this movie, but just about everything else is substandard. It doesn't really seem like anyone else involved put in anything more than a token effort. It's basically a made-for-tv by-the-numbers event. Woods deserves better, the story deserves better.
½ October 7, 2007
Based on the writings of infamous criminal Carl Panzram. Killer is an interesting character study but is hindered by made-for-tv production values and restraint.
September 26, 2007
Brilliant film... Woods plays the part of Panzram really well... and the scene of the brutal beating he dishes out on the prison guard!!!! say no more
August 8, 2007
Henry Lesser, un hombre de principios y fe en el sistema penitenciario, ingresa como guardia de prisiones en Leavenworth, una de las cárceles más infernales del país. Allí conoce a Karl Panzram, un asesino catalogado de irredimible cuya mente está cargada de odio pero que a la vez está dotado de una gran personalidad.
July 2, 2007
I haven't heard many good things about this, but Carl Panzram may have been the meanest, most amoral serial killer of them all. He was not so much a serial killer, in fact, as an all-around sociopath whose criminal exploits seem almost unbelievable today. Woods strikes me as the right man to play him.
June 20, 2007
want to see it so bad. looks to be James Woods' best performance.
May 28, 2007
james woods is fucking awesome
½ March 19, 2007
facinating movie......
November 29, 2006
I'd like to see this movie!