Killer Klowns from Outer Space - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Killer Klowns from Outer Space Reviews

May 20, 2017
Fun and creative, not much else needs to be said.
May 1, 2017
Pretty good. Very corny acting and poor editing, but the inventive story and good special effects save this film from being anything that bad.
½ March 9, 2017
I needed this movie, especially after the previous movie I watched. It was called Before All Others and it's one of those horrible, preachy religious films (not my choice) that I wouldn't have been caught dead watching. I just needed something stupid to wash the filth off of that horrible movie. But I digress, a lot of people have phobias, it's one of those things that make us unmistakably human. For example, I fear airplanes, I wouldn't necessarily call it a phobia, as I don't feel like crying when I see an airplane on TV, for example. I've seen people whose phobia is to the point where they can't even see that specific thing on films or whatever. Sometimes they even cry when they see it. I'm not saying that to mock these people, it's just a statement of fact. That's how bad some phobias are to some people. If you were to take a sample size of 1500 and asked them to compile a list of their phobias, I'm sure a lot of those lists would include clowns as one of their main phobias. I had a friend in school that was terrified of clowns. I did some research on Wikipedia as to this phobia, but the review will last forever if I talk about that, so let's just move on. While I get it, at the same time I don't. This brings us to this film, which was, quite honestly, a little stupid. And I mean that in the most complimentary way possible, as that is what it was intended to be, just a silly horror-comedy that you can laugh at and with. Let's just get the negatives out of the way first, the movie isn't as consistently cheesy as I would have hoped. It's not that it's better than I expected, it's about the level I would have anticipated. There's some really funny gags early on in the film. Like, for example, the balloon dog that helps the clowns track our protagonists after they run away from the clowns' circus tent spaceship. That scene was, honestly, hilarious to me. Perhaps because I wasn't expecting it, but it legitimately made me laugh. I can't say that the rest of the film did much of that. I mean, I did laugh at some of the goofiness and the craptacular acting, but it was nothing like the balloon dog. That's the main problem, to me, with the movie. It just peaks too early. Don't get me wrong, I didn't think the movie was bad, it was average at best, but I felt that the consistency wasn't there for it to make this a good movie. That's not to say that there isn't some enjoyment to be had here. If you're looking for something that's downright goofy, something that you don't need to use your brain much for. If you can find a group of your horror geek friends to watch this with, then this movie is even better. It might not be because you all thought the film was great, but at least you'd have some fun watching this. One of the more genuinely surprising things about this movie is the fact that, really, it had very little of the way of gore. There's this scene where one of the clowns, literally, punches this dude's head clean off and it lands in a nearby trashcan. It's a really quick scene and it isn't even that gruesome. The rest of the film had some minor blood, like really minor. So, if I'm being honest, I have to applaud the film for managing to get by without much gore. Did they need it? I don't know, I think it might have helped with some of the sillier aspects of the film. But the clowns, mostly, just go around turning people into cotton candy cocoons that they then drink or something, with a silly straw of course. Like you can do much more with the clowns if they were actually more violent, but that's not the movie they wanted to make. And it's not my decision, since it wasn't my movie. With that said, while I had issues with the movie in terms of its consistency, I still thought this was a decent horror comedy. It might not be the best you will ever see, but you can still get some enjoyment from this film's absurdity. It's on Amazon Prime, if you're subscribed and interested in this. This is a must-watch if you've just seen a horrible and preachy religious film. Might not be a great, or even good movie, but this is exactly what the doctor ordered.
½ March 6, 2017
dream like world both scary funny goofy and laugh out loud moment
February 1, 2017
Cheezy B sci-fi movie greatness. Hilarious prank-like kills, cringe worthy puns and a great ending.
October 30, 2016
This cult classic had escaped me for a long time, it's a sci-fi/horror/comedy. It is super cheesy, but a lot of fun if you like that sort of thing. I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would, but still found it kind of fun. Listening to the commentary occasionally was also fun, the directors had a lot of passion for the film and it's infectious. Far fans of cult classic only.
October 29, 2016
This is a good "bad movie". Its a gag-filled cheese fest that pays homage to 1950s monster movies. The creators of this know exactly what it is that they made here, and it works very well as long as you take it for what it's supposed to be.
October 27, 2016
Goofy, gory, popcorn-fueled fun. Four of five stars.
October 21, 2016
4/5 Excellent artistic design mixed with typical so-bad-it's-good humour makes Killer Klowns From Outer Space a delicious treat from start to finish.
October 14, 2016
I honestly love this film, it's fantastic fun!
October 13, 2016
Stupid and the clowns look lame
½ October 6, 2016
With a ridiculous premise and a large cult following, Killer Klowns from Outer Space sounded like an entertaining 80's horror film.

Killer Klowns from Outer Space is the only feature to have ever been written and directed by The Chiodo Brothers. The brothers are better known as experts in puppetry and special effects, and when you think about the narrative shortcomings this makes a lot of sense. The entire film is pretty much just a series of shots depicting the titular Klowns killing humans in a variety of circus-themed ways while anything else occurring outside of this is just generic plotting at its most obvious. The film does not attempt to seek any innovation outside of milking its gimmicks for sporadic laughs here and there. But as a horror film, there really aren't many chills to gain from the experience.
The main problem in Killer Klowns from Outer Space is that there is really no feeling of a legitimate threat. Unless the viewer is naturally scared by clowns, it is gonna take a lot more for audiences to feel any thrills from the experience because the film is largely a self-parody. In aiming to implement horror and comedy into the same narrative, the horror narrative prevents any laugh-out loud moments from taking effect while the comedy prevents the horror from making any kind of thrilling impact. And the fact that the lack of scares is dragged down even further by a slow pace makes it all harder to swallow. Killer Klowns from Outer Space focuses its story entirely around the creative ways that The Chiodo Brothers can use circus references to form murder scenes, and everything else in the film is so boring that it drags the pace down to the point that the film appears to stretch on for far longer than its actual 86-minute running time. I can admit that there is certainly room to have a fun time with Killer Klowns from Outer Space due to its zany premise and creative use of special effects, but when it all unfolds at such a slow pace with no originality in the narrative, no interesting characters and a sense of tonal conflict, the feature is ultimately less than satisfying.
As far as scripting goes in Killer Klowns from Outer Space, the story has no original twists or turns. It is one which relies entirely on formula with one-dimensional characters at its helm and is proud of that fact. As a result, there is no innovation in the performances and no reason why anyone should care. The real performers of the film are the puppeteers and those who have to act beneath such heavy wardrobe while the actors are as one-dimensional as their roles. And since many elements of Killer Klowns from Outer Space are far tamer than the more explicit 80's slasher films, none of them end up supplying any nudity to the film either. With cast members failing to deliver on the generic demands that fans have come to approve of yet contributing the same lack of character development or genuine intrigue prevalent within the characters of such genre films, they just become a tedious presence within a film which succeeds purely on a stylish level. The script gives them nothing interesting to say as the dialogue isn't smart in any way, nor does it have any line that carry the distinctive 80's zing of the era. So essentially, audiences looking for anything beyond the mild stylistic thrills of Killer Klowns from Outer Space need not apply.
That being said, The Chiodo Brothers do succeed in making Killer Klowns from Outer Space a strong front for their mastery of puppetry and special effects. Killer clowns have long been a gimmick in horror films, but few productions ever implement science fiction elements into the narrative. In the case of Killer Klowns from Outer Space, this is the key gimmick of the film. Since the villains are actually aliens who bear the appearance of clowns, they have a weird array of inexplicable technology and abilities which always comes back to the circus theme of the film. As a result, The Chiodo Brothers are able to come up with some clever ways to kill off the humans of the story, ranging from popcorn monsters to deadly shadow puppets. This is the main gimmick in the film, and honestly it does stand to give Killer Klowns from Outer Space a memorable impact. The film isn't necessarily camp, but its villains' silly choice of murder certainly comes with its comical gimmicks. The way the film depicts them all is also effective because the use of visual effects combined with special puppetry makes for a proudly silly experience which never takes itself seriously. The entire experience is supported by the use of a dark circus-themed musical score which evokes the distinctive feeling of clown fear as an atmospheric contribution for the visuals to lean on.
There is certainly room to have fun with the ridiculous nature of this horror comedy, even if there are times when it struggles to decide between the two genres. And the use of colourful imagery and special effects in Killer Klowns from Outer Space manages to serve as a sufficient distraction from the fact that there is a lack of blood, gore or nudity in the overall experience. Many genre fans may consider this a frustration, but at the same time it means that Killer Klowns from Outer Space can appeal to a younger crowd. Naturally this isn't idea since its the older crowd that has proven consistently to be the dedicated fanbase of the genre, but Killer Klowns from Outer Space proves to offer a more family-friendly genre alternative which should still have enough creepy clowns and dark themes to entertain younger audiences as they transition into more explicit material.

Killer Klowns from Outer Space proves that The Chiodo Brothers are true masters in the art of special effects and puppetry which they use to craft a creative collection of unconventional death scenes, but with no other narrative virtues to support it including a lack of nudity, blood, gore or any interesting characters whatsoever, it ends up being fun in doses but rudimentary as a whole.
October 5, 2016
Made on a budget of a little over $2 million dollars, it's too lame and stupid. The clowns are scary, but the characters are so annoying, I just wish that the clowns would have axed them off in the middle of the film! You might find some enjoyment out of this, but for me? I'll stick with the original Poltergeist movie!
½ October 5, 2016
Killer Klowns from Outer Space was the 4th movie in our 31 nights of horror. I've seen this cult classic many, many times but my girlfriend had never experienced it's wonder. This cinematic marvel is so terrible that it transcends from "B-movie" into something more, something so bad it's amazing. Killer Klowns is intentionally campy and their low budget paired with unknown, overacting stars perfectly compliments the kitsch. The special effects are sub-par, the acting is akin to a television soap opera, and the plot is the opposite of original. What makes this movie brilliant is that all of these "cons" were done on purpose to give the viewer a a hilarious good time. The makeup used for the titular characters is what really makes this film stand out. The Klowns are beyond disturbing in their appearance and demeanor, they are genuinely creepy in every sense of the word. This flick would have been just another forgettable bad movie if not for the amazing Klowns and the the Chiodo Brothers razor sharp, tongue-in-cheek wit. The only part that I really never liked was how the hero defeated the Boss Klown. I mean c'mon, police badges are not that sharp! 5 out of 5 stars.
October 4, 2016
Killer Klowns From Outer Space..Best. Title. Ever. and this movie delivers what it promises, stupid, silly but creative, goofy fun.
September 29, 2016
I love this movie been one of my favorites sense i was a kid...i watxh it once a week with my nephew..
½ September 16, 2016
Dripping with 80s kitsch, this film is more bout the clownish visuals than anything else. Just about amusing enough and nasty enough to retain some interest though.
August 21, 2016
Such a great movie, when this movie gets praise it definitely deserves it! :) 5 stars! :) Love this movie :)
½ August 19, 2016
so funny, not sure if it is intentional or not