Killer Workout (Aerobi-cide) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Killer Workout (Aerobi-cide) Reviews

August 30, 2016
I figured out the killer by the middle of the film. Too easy.
August 25, 2016
The only joy here is for out-of-shape "regular people" being able to watch scantily-clad women and muscular gym fanatics get chopped up. The acting and action is so bad that it is almost watchable.
April 29, 2016
Great title to an 80s slasher. Also called Aerobicide and Death Spa. Lots of day glo gym tights, hairspray and new wave songs about working out. The killer has a giant safety pin which is pretty weird and I would have assumed more gym equipment would have been used for the killings. Memorable for its cheese but clearly not one of the best slashers of the time.
December 25, 2015
An absolutely idiotic 80s slasher that alternates between lengthy "workout" scenes and killing, Killer Workout is true cheese as it blends awful 80s pop, constant spandex-clad women, and killing into something that is perhaps memorable but only in the most superficial of ways. More entertaining as a comedy than a slasher film, Killer Workout probably remains a forgotten 80s slasher for a reason....
February 13, 2015
It's hard not too like this awfully bad 80's slasher film that is more or less about a serial killer killing people who are gym members.

The dialogue & acting is woeful but all adds to the fun it...you find yourself cheering & laughing in large amounts.

It's worth every minute of its cheesy self...lots of bad murders & unnecessary amounts of aerobics.
½ March 19, 2014
Not the finest work from director David A. Prior, but not bad either. A killer uses an oversized safety pin to murder spandex-clad patrons at the Rhonda Workout gym. The motive - a horrifying tanning bed accident that caused disfiguring burns. One would think murders at the club would be bad for business but nothing seems to be able to deter these fitness fanatics from staying in shape. If you can't get enough of the close ups in probably a half dozen aerobics scenes littering the 85-minute film, there are more interspersed in the credits.
½ March 13, 2014
Working out will never be this fun again--You will die laughing!!
½ November 4, 2013
This is one of a handful of movies that a certain group of interweb friends have talked about at great length and made out to be simply ridiculous and wonderful at the same time, and I have to say that as far as zero budget 'so-bad-it's-good' fare goes, this one is close to the top and is something I'd highly recommend checking out.

Such a fun/awful film, and well worth tracking down.

Rental?
September 2, 2012
Another 80's slasher that I had never heard until my friend Beefy brought it to my attention so thanks.
Theres ample amounts of skin and skin-tight clothing but its sorely lacking in the creative deaths department although the killer does use one of the most original (and ridiculous) murder weapons--a giant safety pin. What signifigance it has or what purpose it could possibly serve in the real world is beyond me but it does make for some humorous deaths.
I also have to give it props for leaving me guessing as to who the killer was even though there were several clues along the way that I seemed to have misconstrued as red herrings.
Far from the best of the subgenre but it does fit nice and snuggly right in the middle.
½ August 1, 2012
Yes, I really have watched this movie - brilliantly bad eighties slasher cheese.
December 23, 2011
Beautiful people are stupid as hell, the killer's weapon is a giant safety pin..... The ending was stupid, just to remind you what a terrible movie you have watched
½ September 5, 2011
This movie is really a lost treasure of horror. For a direct to video release, while it's not without some issues, is extremely well done. It's about a serial killer terrorizing the patrons of a gym. There are plenty of perfect bodies, dead bodies and bodies dressed in 80's fashion!
July 23, 2011
I have never had a guilty pleasure. If I like a movie, I don't feel guilty about it. And why should I? Because of public opinion? Who cares about that? However, when I finished watching Killer Workout (Aerobicide), I felt something deep inside my stomach. What was that? Is that a tinge of GUILT? For the first time ever, I have a guilty pleasure. Anyway, on to the movie. Killer Workout basically takes two big things during the 1980s (aerobics and slasher movies) that couldn't be any farther apart and combines them. It's so ridiculous, it borders on parody. The killer wields a giant safety pin (!) and just stabs people with it and it's hilarious how everyone seems so defenseless about this 5-inch long needle that doesn't seem lethal at all. Huge fist and kung-fu fights break out randomly multiple times during the movie. Director David A. Prior crams so much corny 80s music, leg warmers, and leotards into one film that I couldn't believe my eyes (and ears). Gorehounds beware; there is very little bloodshed even though there are a few gory bits. In the end, I really could not believe I liked it. What makes the combination of bad music, aerobics, and slashing so compelling? The truth is, I don't know.
½ January 6, 2011
Every once in a while you watch a movie that reminds you why you watch bad movies in the first place. This is one of those movies. With the perfect blend of leotard hip thrusting and safety pin stab wound death sequences Aerobicide is one experience you're likely to never forget.

I'll set it up for you. Rhonda has a workout place called ... Rhonda's Workout. People start dying there in bunches. Dim witted detective Morgan is on the case! After stumbling blindly from one victim to the next he finally pieces together who the killer is. But will he be able to stop their master plan? Nah.

You know, I think the writer of Death Spa must've ripped this movie off. Think about it. Death Spa came out a year later in 1988 with a very similar premise. A health club killer. Don't believe me? What about this still? Look at what is spray painted on the window!

Where Death Spa is about possession and technology, Aerobicide is about good old fashioned mindless slaying for the sheer sport of it. So I guess we now have the luxury of choosing which 80's health spa slasher movie we'd rather see. An odd parallax if I do say so myself.

The killer in Aerobicide uses an oversize safety pin to stab their victims to death. What a great idea. I can guarantee you that is original to this movie. Before this I doubt that idea ever left the napkin storyboard stage. In Aerobicide however, the idea is fully "fleshed" out.

So this guy named Chuck Dawson (played by Ted Prior) takes it upon himself to stop the madness. Right from the word go we see what a stand up guy he is. He punches a guy senseless and ditches his first day on the job at Rhonda's Workout to have sex. He mops well and does a decent job of hiding in bushes. He doesn't see the crime in breaking and entering as long as it for a good reason. He likes to punish the innocent harshly, in the face, based entirely on incomplete situational knowledge. Everything goes pretty well for Chuck until he rams his body into a muscle car and a man with a large pointy object. Other than that though, he totally had it covered. What a guy.

So what makes this movie such a good time to watch? Everything. The mindless slaughtering of hordes of deservingly ham fisted youths is a good reason. Or you could always just watch it for the fantabulous aerobic workout dance numbers. Either way you win. I highly recommend getting together with your friends and popping this schlockfest into your "conveyance of video joy" device as soon as possible. You won't soon regret it.
½ October 11, 2010
One of my favorite video store back in the day used to have a fantastic horror section that they devoted a little room to that even had a coffin in it that had a guy that used to pop up & scare the shit out of you. I think the last movie that I rented from there was Killer Workout & I thought it was a piece of shit. 20 plus years later I remembered nothing about it so I had a great longing to see it again. I should have left well enough alone. It's Perfect meets Friday the 13th..sorta. Just some terrible 80s music which will drive any self respecting music lover to the brink of insanity. Jane Fonda would even shoot herself. This tries not to be by the numbers by having the weapon of choice being a large diaper pin. Well I guess you gotta try to look for some originality by the late 80s. Beware though there's some of the most disgusting things in this Ive ever seen in this - burnt sugar boobies
October 2, 2010
Great idea for a horror movie and a somewhat solid twist ending can't save this movie from being the worst thing that a horror movie can be..BORING! Too many aerobic scenes not enough terror. Did dig the soundtrack though.
thefog1331
April 26, 2010
½ April 8, 2010
It's a semi-slasher. semi-cop/detective movie. The movie goes off on tangents at time but overall a watchable film. Especially considering it was made in the mid-80s. Not to mention some very hot babes doing all kinds of funky aerobics. That alone makes it a definate watch.