Killers from Space - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Killers from Space Reviews

May 10, 2013
Creepy aliens resurrect a scientist so he can spy for them. One of those dull sci-fi movies that are a times ridiculous; the aliens in this film have ping pong balls for eyes.
½ January 9, 2013
Very cheesy sci fi b movie. interesting creativity of the aliens though
½ December 4, 2012
Overall a goofy looking sci-fi flick with silly costumes and a horrid plot. It's slow, mindless, and isn't too entertaining. The ending felt shallow .
July 31, 2012
It's too bad that the aliens didn't keep Peter Graves, but I can understand them wanting to make him their bitch. Killers From Space is nowhere near as intriguing as its title. It's one of the silliest B movies I've ever seen, as well as one of the most terrible. It's entertaining in a fun way, and that's perhaps why The Film Crew (AKA MST3K, AKA Rifftrax) took it town and did a great number on it. There are no appealing characters, no amazing plot threads to follow, no great special effects and absolutely no surprises or great tension in the story. It's just a generic, and I mean generic, movie about aliens coming to Earth, and when they get here they don't even kill anyone. It's quite trite, but it can be entertaining in a bad way if you give it a chance to do that. However, you won't be missing very much if you never see it at all.
½ April 7, 2012
Classically bad early sci-fi movie. Futuristic scenes of alien world are wonderful. Giant lizards, horned toads, spiders and cockroaches are classics. Slow to get started but picks up after a while. Low budget but well done special effects for its time.
½ October 17, 2011
An enjoyable enough B film. The needlessly complex alien invasion plot borders on the "so bad it's good".
October 10, 2011
Distributed by RKO... I hate RKO... They're evil.
August 22, 2011
mission impossible in full effect! actually, a quite funny movie now. funny to see how times have changed: smoking on screen, separate beds, tar baby. and how some things remain the same. you gotta love to see how people thought about things. everyone dressed so formal.
½ February 3, 2011
Just imagine "It Conquered the World" (with Peter Graves' Dr. Paul Nelson and Lee Van Cleef's Dr. Tom Anderson somewhat melded together) only more tedious, and you basically have "Killers from Space."

Graves plays Douglas Martin, a nuclear scientist working with the army on perfecting the atomic bomb. After Martin is lost and presumed dead when his plane crashes after a test, he returns, albeit not like himself. Soon, Martin's colleagues, superiors and wife discover the good doctor was abducted and brainwashed by aliens hellbent on conquering the world with giant insects and reptiles grown large thanks to nuclear fallout. Martin is torn between following his captors/saviors' telepathic orders and saving the human race.

I realize tales of facing/preventing apocalypse in the context of alien invasions were popular in the '50s. After all, what better way to depict the vision of Cold War-era world obliteration than a science fiction allegory (especially when the Red Scare made tackling such issues head-on perilous at best)? However, "Killers of Space" makes the end of days seem more of a bore than a threat.
November 7, 2010
This is a silly low budget, and easily made fun of, sci-fi movie. The story could be good, but the style, the aliens, and the special effects drag this movie down.
½ October 22, 2010
Killers from Space
Rarely in the annals of cinema has there been anything as pathetic as Killers from Space. Not immoral, not queaze inducing, just pathetic. There is not a single bit of acting that is not wooden, not a single display of real emotion, not a single line of dialogue that shows anything approaching wit or intelligence, and not a single scene that develops any tension.
There is not a single special effects shot that is done convincingly, whether it's the toy airplane against stock footage of a nuclear test, or the endless series of forced-perspective shots of lizards and beetles made to look like giants. And don't even get me started on the aliens, with their ping pong eyes. I've seen better effects in silent movies from the twenties.
The only actor whose name I recognize is Peter Graves. Throughout the entire movie, he comes off as either passť or comatose, except for one stretch when he appears angry for no real reason except that maybe he was told to act that way. Based on his later roles in 'Airplane!' and Mission Impossible, I can only come to the conclusion that he had absolutely nothing to work with here.
The editing and cinematography are also dismal. I'm fairly used to movies having unmotivated close-ups, but this is the only one where every close-up is unmotivated. Every cut is mishandled. The sets are unconvincing, and the lighting in many scenes is so poor that you can't see the actors' faces.
And the badness continues. All of the scenes between the opening plane crash and the hospital room questioning- nearly half an hour- are not only extraneous, but create problems for the screenplay. The only reason to include this material is because without the movie wouldn't be long enough to count as a feature film, although even then it would be too long for most viewers!
There's a part where an FBI agent confronts another character in the middle of no-where, and not only is it never explained how he knew the other man would be there, it's also unclear how the agent got there in the first place! And tell me, if you can, why cutting off power to the Aliens' equipment would overload it, causing a massive explosion.
I could go on and on. But I won't. I will simply say that I pity any member of my parents' generation who wasted their weekly allowance, and ninety plus minutes of their Saturday afternoon watching this clunker.
As to why I gave Killers from Space even ten percent, I believe in Roger Ebert's policy of giving no star reviews only to those films that are morally reprehensible and/or aggressively offensive. Although undeniably bad, this film does not meet either of these criteria. As far as I am aware, no-one was ever scarred for life or moved to commit criminal acts by this movie, although I admit that I would like to do very nasty things to the original script.
½ April 29, 2010
this movie is excellent
January 2, 2010
It's so bad it's not funny. But it's good for a somewhat decent laugh.
July 29, 2009
Horribly boring and terribly made. Luckily for me, though, the aliens are awesome and I watched this through 'The Film Crew.'
½ May 20, 2009
Entertaining script is very contemporary and, if R. Lee Wilder had access to modern special effects, the film might have overcome its erh "limitations". Fortunately for lovers of Alternative Classics, R. Lee Wilder's considerable ambitions allowed him to create some special effects that are truly memorable. (Just trust me on this point and enjoy the surprises.) Peter Graves' manages to maintain his poise and dignity as he stumbles through this Alt. Classic. The special effects alone justify reserving "Killers From Space" a slot in the "50 Greatest Alternative Classics".
½ May 17, 2009
Peter Graves upp till kamp mot äckligt onda utomjordingar med pingisbollar till ögon. På deras hemplanet är det mörkt, därav de tilltagna ögonmåtten. Det här är så mycket lågbudget att man knappt tror att det är sant, framförallt i det hysteriska antiklimaxet i slutscenen. Men titeln är det åtminstone världsklass på.
½ May 2, 2009
Aliens with ping-pong ball eyes? No, thanks. What an awful, horrible, terrible, dreadful movie. Boring, stupid and pointless.
March 9, 2009
Invasion of the Backward-Talking Ping Pong Eyes!
February 22, 2009