Killing Lincoln - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Killing Lincoln Reviews

October 20, 2016
Top-notch Docu-Drama adaptation of the Bill O'Reilly book, narrated by Tom Hanks.
March 13, 2016
Don't be put off, as I very nearly was, by Bill O'Reilly's name in the credits. Many facts surrounding the death of arguably America's greatest president are addressed herein, fleshing out considerably what you may already know. The story is spare, the production, but the point made is nonetheless eloquent. Tom Hanks as the on air narrator aids credibility. Produced by National Geographic.
½ February 25, 2015
Docudrama about the killing of Lincoln. Interesting only to the extent you could understand the history is little more better. Otherwise avoidable.
February 20, 2015
Riveting at times, electrifyingly informative about each event surrounding Lincolns assassination. Perfectly narrated by Hanks, and strongly performed by especially Johnson and Campbell as leads - this is solid storytelling.
Even-handed, well paced, and firmly grasped by the director.
Congrats to those at History Channel, yet again.
September 3, 2014
they did a good job with the story. including Hanks
August 15, 2014
Great movie. I saw it. This rating is correct.
July 29, 2014
of course based on the true story of the assassination of president Abraham Lincoln, this film is narrated by Tom hanks and half of it is a movie, some are actual pictures which were taken at the time and facts. Very interesting how history folded in this tragic events of our 16th president.
April 29, 2014
A nice docudrama film that tells the events of Abraham Lincoln's assassination and the final days of assassin John Wilkes Booth.
March 31, 2014
interesting, nice to know the facts behind it, not as compelling as it set out to be, though. all the names got a bit confusing, but I am more interested in reading the book. the attempt on the secretary of state was very violent and needlessly shown 3 times.
January 19, 2014
One of my favorite TV specials
½ January 4, 2014
Bill O'Reilly should be prosecuted for plagiarism. I should say being a crook and a thief is nothing new to a Nazi-Republican. For him to pretend that he's a fan of Lincoln is outright ridiculous and goes to show he'd do anything to make a buck. He is a plagiarist and nothing more. Anyone can write about what others have covered from head to toe for over a hundred years. The only reason I watched this is because of Tom Hanks, if Tom Hanks is a fascist Nazi Teapublican like O'Reilly, I'll never go see another of his films again and hope they both rot in hell for what they have done to the American people with W Bush who has destroyed our country so bad almost 8 years later we are still trying to get out of the hell they put us in. Fuck fake fox propaganda and Bill O'Reilly is a bitch I'll slap any day of the week.
December 22, 2013
Tom Hanks does an excellent job of narrating, however, the acting could've been better. Overall, it's a good film to watch, and very informative.
November 14, 2013
Not that good of a portrayal of the Lincoln assassination in my opinion. The acting here isn't terrible but it just wasn't interesting to watch these unknown actors play these people. First off the actor playing John Wilkes Booth just had a weird voice but he did good on doing the stuff he did in the documentary. The actor playing Abraham Lincoln wasn't memorable and it felt like he was going through the motions to get to his death in the film. Everybody else was forgettable as well. Before watching this I watched Steven Spielburg's Lincoln, that movie had top class acting, a very spot on portrayal of Abraham Lincoln, and had top notch directing. When watching this after watching Lincoln, I can see very easily that the acting here was a major step down. I'm not comparing this entirely to Lincoln, I just thought that the documentary could have had better portrayals of characters. Things I liked about the movie was Tom Hanks narrating it and towards the end it was very interesting to see what had happened to John Wilkes Booth after he had assassinated President Lincoln. Overall it wasn't a bad documentary, I just thought it could have been better than it was. There is a TV movie called The Day Lincoln Was Shot, it was a film that is also over the Lincoln assassination. I found it to be a close to great film with a better portrayal of both Abraham Lincoln and John Wilkes Booth and it has an emotional impact that I found to be absent throughout Killing Lincoln.
October 14, 2013
It was alright, but nothing memorable. The costumes and cinematography are unquestionably good, and Jesse Johnson is amazing as John Wilkes Booth. However, the film clearly couldn't decide if it wanted to be a documentary or drama. The "docudrama" thing doesn't work if the audience is keeping up with the story. Aside from Johnson, and maybe Billy Campbell as well, the rest of the cast wasn't terribly memorable, and I felt Geraldine Hughes' Mary Todd Lincoln was grossly over-acted. The film had too much of Spielberg's "Lincoln" on it's shoulders (although I actually felt it's plot was far more interesting), and I thought it was trying to hard to live up to it. Only with d-list actors/director and Tom Hanks narrating. So much more could have been done with a movie about Lincoln's murder. It's okay, and it's worth a watch at least, but I feel an opportunity was wasted.
October 13, 2013
An informative documentary. Would be good to use as a resource for teaching history maybe.
October 11, 2013
I believe it's an accurate documentary. Quite different than Spielberg's version. They tried to make an unusual storyline, is quite cool, but didn't really workout for me.
October 2, 2013
Even though have some violence but nice documentary!!!!
½ September 29, 2013
I've always had an eerie fascination with Lincoln's murder... don't judge. Like most people, I find these sort of crimes compelling and grotesque. The tale of Lincoln's demise has been covered head to toe and front to back... or so we thought. With superb narration by Tom Hanks and a home run portrayal of Abraham by Billy Campbell... Killing Lincoln features engaging details not known to casual historians and beautifully reenacted scenes plucked from the ages. While Johnson's portrayal of Booth leans a bit on the Disney villain side, I'd still recommend this gripping flick that will leave you educated and wanting more.
September 19, 2013
Written by Bill O'Reilly? Not interested.
August 23, 2013
Great film, history buffs or not would enjoy.