The Killing of Sister George Reviews

• Jan 27, 2014

aldrich's attempt at tackling controversy considered tame by today's standards.

aldrich's attempt at tackling controversy considered tame by today's standards.

• Apr 07, 2013

very groundbreaking for its time, landmark of a movie. a should-watch, quite the cult classic.

• Aug 17, 2012

Very edgy for it's blatant representation of lesbianism at the time, 'The Killing of Sister George' remains as a humourous, cult melodrama in which Beryl Reid gave a powerhouse performance as the jealous, alchy BBC soap opera actress.

• Aug 15, 2012

Classic lesbian drama, amazing for its time and in some ways still relevant. Hilarious performance by Beryl Reid who reminds me of a few people I have known! Essential LGBT viewing!

• Aug 14, 2012

• Apr 11, 2012

It's not as interesting as Lylah Clare which is a tad more vicious in its anti-Hollywood attitude. But it still has a cynical sting to it.

• May 01, 2011

Unbelievable! I can't believe I never saw this camp classic until now! Beryl Reid is amzing as the very unlikable actress playing soap star 'Sister George'. The '60s lesbian bar seen with an all girl band is priceless. And to think it was rated X when it was first released!

• Dec 21, 2010

I can understand this movie being culturally significant, but it just isn't a very good story. The set up is a good one, but each character behaves bizarrely, and I'm never sure whether they're trying to show us that these characters are bizarre and broken, or whether they're trying to make some kind of "all lesbians have this funky powerplay thing going on." The ending didn't make the least bit of sense, either. Definitely not worth watching.

• Apr 06, 2010

a beautiful, poignant and subtle movie.

a beautiful, poignant and subtle movie.

• Feb 24, 2010

Part of my virtual gay film festival in honour of mardi gras week - take a look - Lesbian scene in London in the 60s