Killing Them Softly - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Killing Them Softly Reviews

November 8, 2016
Great cast, but an unoriginal story about three dumb guys who think they're smart to rob a Mob protected card game, causing the local criminal economy to collapse. Brad Pitt plays the enforcer hired to track them down and restore order. Killing Them Softly also features Richard Jenkins, James Gandolfini, Ray Liotta, Scoot McNairy, Ben Mendelsohn, and Vincent Curatola.
November 6, 2016
I attempted to watch Killing Them Softly three times and fell asleep all 3 times. The 4th time I made it all the way through. This is one of those films that critics tend to love, I believe it received a 74% on Rotten Tomatoes. This time I sided with the audience who gave it a 44%. KTS is a crime thriller that didn't have many thrills. I love crime movies but KTS just didnt do it for me. I like slow burners but KTS is REALLY slow. Even the heist in the beginning of the film is slow. The pacing of it just drags so much and it's only a 97 minute film, with credits. I was pretty disappointed in Killing Them Softly, and I was looking forward to it. Pretty big letdown for me, others may enjoy it though.
October 13, 2016
Amazing acting and filmmaking. Andrew Dominik is a true artist.
½ September 30, 2016
"Killing Them Softly" is a gritty mafia flick with a unique atmosphere, a dark sense of humor, and an underlying economic message.
September 24, 2016
Holy shit, this movie should've been called "Boring Them Slowly"! However, it did earn a whole star for Brad's speech at the end.
August 28, 2016
Thought this was a better movie when i bought it ...but my memory was a bit wrong , it's certainly not a bad movie ...just kinda slow . There where interesting conversations with Brad Pitt & Co do ....SOMDVD
August 25, 2016
There is so much that I like about this film, it ends up being a shame that I don't ultimately like the movie itself very much at all. The plot is fairly simple. Two guys rob a mob run poker game and a hit man is brought in by the higher ups to fix the situation. The film doesn't care a whole lot about this plot. It unfolds gradually, and it's handled well, but most of the screen time is taken up by conversations between characters that don't have a lot to do with this plot. A lot of actors do superb work here. Ben Mendelsohn and Scoot McNairy play the two guys who rob the game, and they each turn in very different, wonderfully eccentric performances. Each is a joy to watch. Brad Pitt plays the hit man. Pitt is rarely this good. He's at his least mannered best hear. Richard Jenkins, James Gandolfini and Ray Liotta also have key roles and are superb. This should be a wonderful film, but it somehow seems to be a lot of guys doing great work for no real reason. The film tries to tie it's themes to the recent financial crises ... boy does it try hard. Almost every scene has a new report in the background going on and on about bankers and crises and bailouts ... and none of it really means anything in the context of this story. I enjoyed watching it, but it also felt like a waste of my time.
½ August 12, 2016
Killing Them Softly is a dialogue-driven picture, permitting opportunity for the amusingly thoughtful and strangely tragic interactions between the scums of the criminal underworld.
August 5, 2016
Brad Pitt was beautiful, even as a gangster. Also his shots at the execution of his friend's. Poetic.
Those were what make this slow and not putting on the edge action an enjoyable feast. One is not bored.
And the speech at the end he delivered about America and the notion of American nation was superb.
½ August 2, 2016
One of the last flicks James Gandolfini does besides "the Drop". Plus Brad Pitt as a hitman, and Ray Liotta....I'm almost embarrassed I passed this Awesome Gangster flick over for 4 years. Brutal.
August 1, 2016
This was disappointing, rather dull.
July 29, 2016
Violent but also pretty funny. Really believable characters too.
July 27, 2016
I recently watched this movie end-to-end for the third or fourth time, which in itself says something! I like the characters and seedy world of novelist George Higgins, and this movie captures (what innocent ol' me imagines to be) the feel of that world really well. I loved watching the menacing, dirty and ever-patient world of these characters, and the performances were believable. I didn't like the underscoring/clips (the movie didn't need it) but did like depth and theme those clips were trying to capture. I surely will watch and enjoy this movie again some day, much in the way I re-watch crime movies like Drive and Chinatown :)
July 24, 2016
I enjoyed Killing Them Softly a lot more than I thought I would, the low audience score turned me away from this for a while, but I am glad I saw it. The visuals are amazing, and the acting is absolutely superb from the whole cast. It does get a little boring though, and the ending isn't what I hoped for. Watch at your own discretion, if you think you'll hate it, you're probably right
½ July 22, 2016
It was ok. Will never watch again.
July 21, 2016
It's okay Brad Pitt tried to make it work and play his part but the film lacks
July 19, 2016
Other than the fat depressed dude, this movie wasn't so bad.
July 18, 2016
When we have to make the most of this self made world, to become self made hit men. When what we make of ourselves is other things when we are out to make a dollar. When what makes us who we are is our past mistakes and whatever we are good at that we can do to make an dishonest day's living. When making a honest living, we stay out of, but close enough to finance those whom do the dirty work. When we are self made hit men when that's all we believe, and know what to do to make an American living. When others make of themselves either as liars, story tellers or pawns, we make the best opportunity to capitalize. When making others take the fall to gain a profit is just in the cards we do and run out fast. When we make others natural fools and take the hit when they didn't do snything, had it coming along time ago and they got a pass. When we make ourselves smart, getting away with murder and cash, we have something soon coming to us. When we make our lives more difficult and others lives more difficult to live. When we make ourselves visible, open to the public and an open target, we naturally get caught and others get killed. When what we make of ourselves from others, we can't get away when there is a price on our head from those you can't screw over. When we have to make the choice of betraying others to save ourselves, we make the smart decision. When we are made a fool of, made to do something, made to pay the price for our actions, we naturally get killed. When what we make of ourselves in this place we call the American Dream, this place we call home, we live all as one, we make the best of this dismal life and become hit men, made to existinquish the scum whom threaten to rust and carode civilization. When we are naturally Made in America.
July 12, 2016
Pitt plays a commanding role, but there's not enough to leave a lasting impression.
½ June 27, 2016
A very intelligently written film that clumsily ties its political undertones with overt exertion.