Killing Zoe - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Killing Zoe Reviews

August 1, 2017
A true cult movie. This broke out in the early Quinton Tarantino era. I remember renting this on VHS from a local movie store and was probably one of the first independent movies I loved. Hard to separate nostalgia but I still like it.
February 28, 2017
Killing Zoe: B+
Sure it's Roger Avary's 1st film, and yes Tarantino was involved in the production, but this film prejudicially gets a bum rap. Critics slam the film as ugly, predicable, flat, and average in most aspects however, one great quality does prevail. The art of putting you into the film is as much of an art as you let it, and Avary did a fantastic job of drawing the viewer in... that is of course if you let him.
I first watched this film without any expectations and obviously before I unfairly had Avary's or Tarantino's recent portfolios to compare. I was captivated from the start through Eric Stotlz's unassuming character Zed and led vicariously along the way. I fell in love with a prostitute, meandered through Paris's conspicuous underground nightlife, got obliterated on heroin, oh and by the way had a bank heist go worse than my hangover. Also, there is Julie Duply, Zoe, equally as alluring as Arura seducing Flash Gordon...less the bore worms. How can you not be smitten with a 19yr old strawberry French hooker who just "fits"?
There has been a love it or hate it sentiment out there and either you are drawn in from the start to simply enjoy the ride or you are arms-folded waiting for the Vega brothers to save the day. Killing Zoe earned a balcony seat on my shelf somewhere near True Romance, Run Lola Run, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Boondock Saints, Dog Day Afternoon, and Mean Streets. I'm sure there is a "better on weed" following here too, the very same that finds Donnie Darko as real as it gets and Big Lebowski funnier than Blazing Saddles. But, as I noted, Avary did a fine job of giving you that high with dark tones, panicked drama, grungy soundtrack and some unique camera work.
Le Mange!
February 24, 2017
Killing Zoe: B+
Le Mange!
September 9, 2016
Pre-heist is decent, the heist is awful, shoot outs are wank and the ending is so predictable. Only highlight is Delpy.
May 1, 2016
Rogery Avary, co-writer of "Pulp Fiction," followed up that success with dis feature debut as writer/director on this mixed bag of a film. The film tells the story of safecracker Eric Stoltz meeting up in Paris with an old friend he hasn't seen in 11 years, Jean-Hugues Anglade, who wants him to help him with a job. The bank job is unexpectedly the next day and like most crime pictures, things do not go as planning, particularly that Anglade has changed over the past 11 years into a dangerous drug addict nutcase. There's also a plot thread involving an escort who spends the night with Stolz when he first arrives in Paris, Julie Delpy, who unexpectedly shows up as a worker at the bank. There is kind of a "Before Sunrise" element to the Delpy/Stoltz storyline, which is one of the stronger parts of the film. Another strong part of the film is the drug induced first half of the film prior to the bank heist where Stolz and Anglade reconnect and Stolz slowly realized his old friend isn't so much the friend he remembers. The bank heist portion of the film is sadly the weaker half of the film. Avery lack the flair for directing action sequences his "Pulp Fiction" co-writer, Quentin Tarantino, brings to his films and the bank heist sequences, while it does involves some twists and turns, is still a pretty standard and nearly cliched affair, that is only seems to stand apart thanks to some bloody Tom Savini special effects. Another behind the scenes person worth mentioning is the tomandandy, who provided the score for the film in what was their first feature film. Overall it's not a terrible film, but I feel it had the potential be a whole lot better and could have stood alongside Tarantino's best crime pictures but is instead a big disappointment.
June 20, 2015
This movie is awesome. The low overall score must be an error.
April 19, 2015
The best Stoltz movie since Mask,Intense and gripping with one sick bastard as the villain.
½ October 22, 2014
5 % of this movie is ok. 95 % of it is the most violent, awful disgusting movie. Even on mute and fast forward, I really hated it.
October 3, 2014
Interesting, but bloody, heist-gone-wrong film. Well acted.
August 20, 2014
It's a fun ride, especially in the back half, but there are a variety of flaws sprinkled throughout
½ March 18, 2014
The movie is good enough to put it up with other notable bank heist movies. A lot of emphasis put on character relationships in this one.
February 22, 2014
A solid, not great debut for The Rules Of Attraction writer director and also Pulp Fiction co scribe Roger Avary, all this really is, is a primer for Rules introducing the directors nihilistic, blackly comic style and even a couple of shots he would re-use and improve greatly with his masterpiece of a follow-up, it feels sometimes like the poor mans reservoir dogs truth be told, but it dose have it's own dark, abrasive personality, but like i said, this is just a warm up for Rules, and a must for fans of that film to see the genesis of it's style and ballsy attitude in this film.
December 28, 2013
Good movie but not a great movie. I loved it as a kid but I think that may have more to do with Julie Delphy than the plot which at times is fairly weak. Still its a stylish and different kind of bank heist movie and isnt boring. Worth watching for Julie Delphy alone. What a babe.
December 22, 2013
1972's The Godfather Is My Fourth Favorite Film.
½ November 26, 2013
I am not slamming this Roger Avary film for not being a Quentin Tarantino film. I am slamming it for not being a very good film.
½ November 13, 2013
Just generally nothing to recommend it by. Also, the title only comes in to the film about 10 minutes from the end.
October 13, 2013
This movie is so underrated. It's crazy and bloody brilliant!
½ August 1, 2013
Fuckin' 20 years ago this bad ass violent movie written by Quentin Tarantino came out and this is definitely a must see and is in the "violent" cool movies of all time category. The drugs, the sex, the acting, the actors, the soundtrack and even the year 1993 made this movie bad ass and also it's in my TOP 30 of all-time favorite flicks. I can see this over and over and over and over and over......
August 1, 2013
Strong but somewhat confusing start, action packed but decent middle, and very weak ending. Leaving this movie in the, "decent movie." category where it belongs
July 8, 2013
A subtle little heist movie that succeeds in only two regards: the cinematography and the writing. The cinematography was magnificent in some places and the writing was one, clearly Roger Avery which is in no way bad, and two, very well paced. The plot is stock and boring, the acting isn't all that great, with the exceptions of Eric Stoltz and Jean-Hughes Anglade, and the directing is relatively lifeless.