A Kind of Loving Reviews

• Dec 30, 2017

John Schlesinger's sensitive look at a young working-class couple in 1960's England.

• Feb 08, 2015

It's far from perfect but Schlesinger uses Alan Bates as the true object of desire here we always knew he was, and that's really pretty great.

• Oct 09, 2012

An intimate drama about a couple's trials as they fall in love and get married. Neither of the two is entirely sympathetic, which gives their struggles that much more weight.

• Sep 04, 2012

It's life just as we know it. A classic of its genre from when British films set the standard and created the blueprint for the realists that followed.

• Mar 16, 2012

British kitchen sink drama about a young couple who work at the same factory and start dating. Realistic view of attitudes of the time.

• Mar 12, 2012

another brit angry young man pic

another brit angry young man pic

• Jul 25, 2011

A good, real life drama of its day. Thora Hird plays the battle axe mother-in-law really well. Got a brief cameo of Kathy Staff of "Last of the Summer Wine" fame.

Eric B Super Reviewer
    Jun 20, 2011

This domestic tale from director John Schlesinger has that endearing, lo-fi authenticity so typical of British films from this era. Alan Bates and June Christie give excellent performances as a newlywed couple, and Thora Hird is loathsome perfection as Christie's shrew mother. The early scenes of blossoming love are wonderfully sweet, and this film has as good a "first kiss" as I've ever seen. However, there's too much movie for such a simple, humdrum story (a couple gets married for the wrong reason, and struggles through the early months of wedlock).

• Sep 24, 2010

There are tensions between desire, responsibility and social acceptance that are not easily resolved. While the moral climate it depicts has largely changed, A Kind of Loving remains an interesting and rewarding film, which dares to accept that there are not necessarily any easy answers to the questions it poses.

• Sep 21, 2010

this film just reminds me so much of my own youthful search for love and understanding. the scene where young Vic looks at his girlfriend in a cafe and realises they have nothing to say to each other is gut wrenching. A kind of loving indeed