King John - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

King John Reviews

November 17, 2008
One of Shakespeare's lesser known plays, for sure. I can't imagine waking up every morning -- if you're lucky enough not to have been murdered in your sleep -- and worrying about my divine right to rule being snatched away from me, by anyone under the sun, employing any tactic necessary. I'm sure this is not unique to the kings and queens of England; it must be non-stop acid indigestion for anyone in this kind of position. I find it difficult to imagine that most of the royals lived to rule as long as they did. I would have given most of them a month or two max. But there is "difficult" to imagine, and then there is "impossible": I cannot imagine being the kind of "loyal" citizen who would support these self-professed appointees of God's rule on earth. The concept -- maybe because I'm lucky enough to have been born in a different place -- of supporting these wasters of oxygen and public funds is ridiculous to my mind. To die for my country, yes, for "my king" or "my queen" -- I think not. Once again, I curse lousy child actors. There are TWO in this one.