King of Ping Pong (Ping-Pongkingen) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

King of Ping Pong (Ping-Pongkingen) Reviews

December 29, 2008
Pretty good Swedish film (I was surprised it was that good) - well worth watching.
½ December 22, 2008
Quite a beautifully filmed movie (great detail seemed to be paid to the colours of everything from the house to the community center to their clothes as it all seemed to co-exist in a washed out glory against the backdrop of snow snow snow and more snow). This movie seemed to amber along not really knowing which way to go. Part amateur in feel, part slapstick, part dark drama/comedy its dosen't seem to worried about making a point until near the end when (for at least a few minutes) it gets more intense. Not for those who necessarily need a point, total closure or big bangs in their film viewing.
Being it is his first feature length film, it would be interesting to see what he can do next.
½ October 29, 2008
the use of dramatic music jars, and he's not actually very good at table tennis
October 26, 2008
It's hard to tell exactly why this movie's good enough to watch. It follows a lot of plot lines from other coming-of-age/family dramas but it's so strangely built-up, and using freaky muted palettes and contrast-less that it is something quite different to watch. Enough of black humor to keep me going , too.
½ October 13, 2008
I enjoyed every minute
October 9, 2008
I just did not care at all about anyone in this movie. Maybe that makes me a psychopath but I'll risk it.
½ October 4, 2008
While there is some good acting and beautiful scenes in this movie it doesn't really create enough of an atmosphere for me to be able to fully enjoy the slow pacing. While I usually like slow movies with mundane plots this one had me feeling bored on multiple occasions and I also found it difficult to really care about the portrayed characters. Real life is more interesting than this, even in the northern parts of Sweden.
½ October 4, 2008
i enjoyed it -- a dark coming-of-age story.
½ September 29, 2008
Wittily simple in the story its staging. The recent unspeakable events in Finland add some topicality to "King of Ping Pong".
September 21, 2008
One of the good BIFF movies this year. I enjoyed it.
September 21, 2008
Kokemuksena tylsä ja jossain määrin hajanainen,mutta analyyttisella tasolla elokuvasta sai loppujen lopuksi paljonkin irti. Hieno kuvaus pohjoisesta tuppukylästä ja sen nuorisosta; poikkeavalla, hienovaraisella tavalla toteutettua elokuvakliseiden parodiaa; absurdiuteen asti harkitun yhtenäinen värimaailma. Tarina ja henkilöhahmotkaan eivät oikein vakuuttaneet.
September 18, 2008
Svenskar kan göra film ibland de också. ?ven om det är väldigt sällan.
September 15, 2008
This is the second movie I've seen so far at the Atlantic film festival.
First off, this movie was incredible. It as so refreshing, different and perfectly paced. I enjoyed every minute of it. Some of the lines and some of the strange scenes were hysterical, but the film still felt very relatable and human.
Apart from the story and the acting, the movie was shot beautifully, and the director made good use of the stark and white landscape, drawing them out even more with the use of washed out colours. Some of the moments felt so relatable, that even when things began to escalate, it never stopped being real.
Overall, a great movie that everyone should try to get a chance to see.
½ September 15, 2008
A good, very Swedish-style movie.
September 12, 2008
I'm not a big fan of swedish films. Sad (since I'm swedish myself) but true.. Swedish films are often corny and theatrical-like in my opinion. The way the director chose to be artistic in this film really bugged me with the whitish kind of light in every scene... All the colours had been washed out. What also bugged be was the dialect differences... skane dialect mixed with stockholm dialect and norrlands dialect... well it's not a great mix if the plot takes place in the northern parts of Sweden (especially in such an isolated part).

But it had som witty one-liners especially from Rille. I liked his corky, slow and ironic manner. It's not easy to be a teenager and that's something you can relate to. But the film is too slow and sometimes fairly boring. It seems like the director's main intention was to bring a certain atmosphere of melancholy and isolation in respect to the choice of setting, but I think he fails to make it interesting enough. The story does not match the setting.
September 10, 2008
Besviken blev man. Hade hört att den skulle vara rolig men det kändes mest som ett manus för roliga timmen. Ploten försökte vara skruvad men kändes mest som en nödlösning. Den var dock snygg men mycket inspirerad av Roy Andersson, lite för mycket kan tyckas.
½ September 6, 2008
Not as great as Jonssons's short films (Fragile) or tv series (God morgon alla barn), but still very original story of Scandinavians, democracy and bullying. Dark humour and freezing cold environment completes Jonssons' first feature film.
½ August 30, 2008
såg den igår. bra film!
August 25, 2008
Dark and nice movie. I was positivly surprised because i was expecting some lame half ass comedy thing. Instead you get entangled in some family drama and an insight in an outsiders teenage years. I'd encourage everyone to watch this one.
August 24, 2008
Underbart snyggt är min spontana kommentar!
Det var nog väldigt längesen jag såg en så pass välgjord och snygg svensk film. Den norrländska kylan och vitheten biter tag i en. Och man känner hur bitterheten tuggar på dig.