King Creole - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

King Creole Reviews

March 26, 2011
It was amazing what Elvis could do when he had a proper supporting cast of veterans like Jagger, Morrow, Stewart and Matthau, and a great director like Curtiz. Too bad this would be the exception and not the rule.
December 20, 2010
Finally a decent Elvis movie...
September 28, 2010
Easily Elvis' best film LONG LIVE THE KING!
August 24, 2010
not a big fan of black and white movie, and i was a bit reluctant to watch this Elvis'film but i'm not disappointed. It's by far one of his best performance as an actor.
½ July 27, 2010
Love this movie! The Elvis movies weren't the greatest movies in the world, but they had ELVIS in them goddammit! But seriously, "King Creole" was one of his best.
½ June 25, 2010
A hint of how good the King could have been on the big screen, if he had only been handed a few decent scripts...
½ January 11, 2010
While I haven't seen all of his films, I have a hard time believing that the King starred in a better film. It's one of the few times Elvis was paired up with real talent, with CASABLANCA director Michael Curtiz behind the camera and good actors like Vic Morrow and Walter Matthau to work with. It's a handsome-looking movie that is competently made and enjoyable to watch. It's musical status is strange though, it starts off seeming light a straight up musical with numbers, then it reverts to music only showing up in situations where it might show up in real life. It's not a classic film by any means, but it shows what Elvis might've been as a movie star, had he had managers with more artistic integrity in mind.
January 6, 2010
One of his best, his early movies were actually some of his best acting. The movies actually have a plot and the songs aren't forced down your throught like show tunes.
December 5, 2009
One of elvi;s best movies plus great soudtack!
November 20, 2009
Probably Elvis' greatest movie.
November 8, 2009
possibly the best elvis film. directed by Michael Curtiz (casablanca) and co-starring Walter Matthau(as a seedy mob boss) and vic morrow(as a henchmen) and starring an eager to prove he can be a serious actor elvis .. make this an underrated gem of the late 50's
the king's favourite of all of his films
½ October 16, 2009
This is the best Elvis movie there is in my opinion. Also check out the book that it was based on by Harold Robbins, "A Stone for Danny Fisher." Great cinematography, wonderful shots of New Orleans and Elvis had his acting abilities quite polished in this.
September 20, 2009
the best Elvis film. a must watch film.
September 19, 2009
Probably the best film Elvis ever made. Great story, great acting, great music.
½ August 18, 2009
One of the better Elvis movies; music is great; plot very good.
½ August 18, 2009
Elvis Presley starring in a film noir musical from the director of 'Casablanca'? It doesn't sound like it should work, but the disparate elements come together for a supremely entertaining whole. A strong story with genuine drama and suspense - much more than you'd ever expect in an Elvis movie - and director Michael Curtiz creates and effective atmosphere of the late-night New Orleans streets with great black and white cinematography and sultry music. Watching this film, you can see the presence that made Elvis Presley an icon, and he's backed by an impressive supporting cast that includes Walter Matthau, Dean Jagger, and Carolyn Jones. It is dated and melodramatic, but that's all part of it's kitschy charm - you don't have to be a die-hard Elvis fan to appreciate this surprising classic.
August 16, 2009
Pretty legit! A more serious Elvis film, that has a lot more depth to it. An interesting story, well acted... refreshing to see this different side of Elvis' film career.
½ August 16, 2009
It's Elvis, therefore it's brilliant!!!
½ August 15, 2009
King Creole was the first Elvis movie that I saw and I found out it was a good movie. Unlike many singers who try out their ability at acting, Elvis is actually a pretty good actor. Before watching King Creole, I never watched any of Elvis's movies because I thought that they would all be musicals and just be a bunch of people singing and acting crazy. But after watching King Creole I found out I was wrong. It was a good drama movie and now I understand why Elvis was in so many movies, not because he was a popular singer but he could also be a great actor. Walter Matthau and the rest of the supporting actors and actresses also did a good job.
It's about how Elvis became a singer at a local club and gaining fame for his ability while trying to stay away from a group of punks who threatened him if he didn't cooperate. It's an all around great movie and I recommend it to anyone. Now I'll probably give a lot more Elvis movies a chance after seeing King Creole. NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2000. It's still the only Elvis movie I've ever seen. I've never been a huge fan of his, I just like a few of his songs, but wouldn't mind seeing some more of his films.
July 30, 2009
Aside from Flaming Star, a brooding moody Elvis truly showcasing his rare unique talent! Don't be fooled by this poster.
This is a meloncholy dark drama, no comedy here and only a few songs! As previously referenced this is in Black and White. Someone replace this is so misleading!